Author Topic: goEMAW.com bbq, smoking, grilling, etc. thread!  (Read 469557 times)

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: goEMAW.com bbq, smoking, grilling, etc. thread!
« Reply #900 on: September 02, 2013, 01:28:32 PM »
The inside of the smoker gets super nasty when used.  I clean all the residue off of the inside of the smoker.  Also, the water pan is as disgusting as you can imagine.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: September 02, 2013, 01:29:55 PM »
Before you say that I shouldn't be doing thos and that it is seasoning the smoker, its not.  The weber is enamel covered and doesn't take seasoning.  I don't want to chance it molding up or coming off during another smoke and effecting the food.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: September 02, 2013, 01:58:40 PM »
more power to you, i guess. I only clean the grates, and sometimes the lid just so stuff doesn't fall off onto the food. So far i haven't had any issues with mold.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: September 02, 2013, 02:30:13 PM »
wouldn't the heat kill anything you aren't interested in eating?  eventually anyways.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: September 02, 2013, 05:34:57 PM »
Great question, Sys.  I don't worry about this on my has grill for this reason, but my smoker never gets above 235 or so.  So I don't think that is hot enough to kill it all off.  Could be wrong though.

Also, cleaning it keeps it from smelling.  Week old smoker residue is stinky.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: September 02, 2013, 08:56:47 PM »
i guess i probably don't know what a smoker is.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline TheCatFanSpeaks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: September 03, 2013, 09:19:22 AM »
Cns,

Quit cleaning your wsm.  Keep the grates clean and empty your ashes.  The water pan is a pita to clean so I quit using water last year. Now, I cook everything either in pans or with a drip tray between the food and the empty water bowl (because you don't want the dripping to fall to the bottom of the water bowl and burn) and cleanup/maintenance is literally seconds.

Sincerely,

TCFS

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: September 03, 2013, 09:28:08 AM »
Cns,

Quit cleaning your wsm.  Keep the grates clean and empty your ashes.  The water pan is a pita to clean so I quit using water last year. Now, I cook everything either in pans or with a drip tray between the food and the empty water bowl (because you don't want the dripping to fall to the bottom of the water bowl and burn) and cleanup/maintenance is literally seconds.

Sincerely,

TCFS

do you have a harder time regulating temp?

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: September 03, 2013, 09:30:40 AM »
Cns,

Sincerely,

TCFS

The Virtual Weber Bullet bbs talks about burning the cooker out by lighting a bunch of charcoal at once and getting it super hot with no water or food in it to eliminate mold.  This seems like a lot more work, time, and money than just scrubbing with an old kitchen brush with some soap and the hose.  They don't reference doing it every time, just when you see mold.  That said, working in an industry that is hyper sensitive to mold, you have a mold problem before it is prevalent enough for you to notice it being every where. 

The worst part is the water bowl, which obviously does have to be changed.  The rest is just another 15 min of my time.  It sucks, but I'm going to keep doing it.

I do like the idea of using a pan for the water, but I would rather it be a disposable liner for the WSM water pan so that I could still put in the same amt of water and so that it doesn't take up room.  using another kind of pan would take up a bunch of room, imo, and limit how much stuff I can smoke at a time.

Also, I don't put everything in a pan.  I actually have only done that with loin so far.  Everything else is on the grill directly. 

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: September 03, 2013, 09:35:52 AM »
Cns,

Sincerely,

TCFS

The Virtual Weber Bullet bbs talks about burning the cooker out by lighting a bunch of charcoal at once and getting it super hot with no water or food in it to eliminate mold.  This seems like a lot more work, time, and money than just scrubbing with an old kitchen brush with some soap and the hose.  They don't reference doing it every time, just when you see mold.  That said, working in an industry that is hyper sensitive to mold, you have a mold problem before it is prevalent enough for you to notice it being every where. 

The worst part is the water bowl, which obviously does have to be changed.  The rest is just another 15 min of my time.  It sucks, but I'm going to keep doing it.

I do like the idea of using a pan for the water, but I would rather it be a disposable liner for the WSM water pan so that I could still put in the same amt of water and so that it doesn't take up room.  using another kind of pan would take up a bunch of room, imo, and limit how much stuff I can smoke at a time.

Also, I don't put everything in a pan.  I actually have only done that with loin so far.  Everything else is on the grill directly.

just wrap the water pan in foil

Offline TheCatFanSpeaks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: September 03, 2013, 09:41:41 AM »

do you have a harder time regulating temp?

No, not really once you're comfortable using the vents.  Cooked a brisket yesterday (sorry, forgot to post pics) and let the cooker come to temp, closed the vents down to half-ish, and let it cruise at 275 for the rest of the cook.  Also, I try not to open the smoker too often.

Offline TheCatFanSpeaks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: September 03, 2013, 09:49:29 AM »

If I need to use both grates, I will put like a foil half sheet pan in the empty water bowl.  Just something to catch the drippings and keep them from getting to the bottom of the water bowl and burning.

I will say that I often cook chicken on it at 300-325 so maybe that's how I combat mold.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: September 03, 2013, 09:54:07 AM »
Cns,

Sincerely,

TCFS

just wrap the water pan in foil

Will try. 

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: September 03, 2013, 11:16:57 AM »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: September 03, 2013, 05:01:54 PM »
i get a crap ton of mold in my BGE. but i usually have mine lit for 45-60 mins before putting food on it to burn off the bad gasses from the lump hardwood.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: September 03, 2013, 05:16:56 PM »
Cns,

Sincerely,

TCFS

...and I will never get into this. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: September 03, 2013, 07:19:00 PM »
 don't be so sure,  after you have a couple of lil  breads and taking them anywhere  becomes a  major pita  you  may reevaluate.   also, a  smoker  is like any hobby -  it is easy to take the fun out of it by  going overboard with the  research on the internet.

Not everyone is going to cook like AST  but it is still fun to  mess around make  something that isn't half bad.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: September 03, 2013, 09:32:44 PM »
i know brisket is like the pinnacle of smoking but i just don't really care for them. i've never had a jerked one though, so

If I'm given the option of eating any type of great bbq, I'll always go for the brisket.  However, I find more dry brisket than I do good brisket so the safe pick is the pork cause it seems pretty bullet proof.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: September 08, 2013, 07:21:08 AM »
Welp. Got a 12lb brisket on the smoker. 1st packer i've done.

YOLO.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: September 08, 2013, 07:22:10 AM »
you can do it ww

Use the schwartz

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: September 08, 2013, 07:25:50 AM »
- chunkles

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: September 08, 2013, 07:41:29 AM »

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: September 08, 2013, 08:31:39 AM »
well this is embarrassing for dub dubs.  hope your brisket turns out better!

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: September 08, 2013, 09:00:37 AM »
i think over trimmed it. ahh well. Will wrap later.
- chunkles

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: September 08, 2013, 01:36:06 PM »
just purchased my new toy/moneymaker today and will be picking it up on Thursday

it's not the one i originally was going to have built but could not pass up the deal offered to me so i plan on using this for about the next year or so and will then have my johnson smoker built

will season it next sunday and get some beef ribs and brisket ran through in 2 weeks