Author Topic: goEMAW.com bbq, smoking, grilling, etc. thread!  (Read 469824 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: goEMAW.com bbq, smoking, grilling, etc. thread!
« Reply #750 on: August 01, 2013, 10:56:29 PM »
O man, made some delicious grilled bbq chicken tonight.

On my lunch break I Threw some thighs in a marinade of 2 parts olive oil, 1 part white wine vinegar and some arthur bryants rub. Threw it on a medium grill for 10 minutes then flipped and cooked for another 5 minutes. Brushed on some spicy gates BBQ sauce and moved to low heat for 5 minutes.

Had some grilled lemon pepper kale(2 for $1 at the grocery store  :ksu:) as a side. Coated kale in Olive Oil, applied lemon pepper seasoning and tossed it to make sure everything was coated. Threw on grill for about 1-2 minutes, just enough to wilt the leaves then tossed it in some lemon juice.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: August 01, 2013, 11:00:05 PM »
I really like kale, but it gives me the worst gas in the history of flatulence.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: August 02, 2013, 01:16:58 AM »
I really like kale, but it gives me the worst gas in the history of flatulence.

Yeah, that happens. I dig asparagus but my piss smells gross for like 24 hours after that.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: August 03, 2013, 10:42:22 AM »
Currently in line @ Pecan Lodge

It opens at 11 and we are about 50h in line (arrived at 9:45)

Will post pics later

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: August 03, 2013, 12:42:07 PM »
Smoking three chickens and three babybacks today.  Do you guys wrap your birds at any point?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: August 03, 2013, 12:43:48 PM »
nope but hopefully you put some oil on the rough rider, helps make the skin crisp up and brown

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: August 03, 2013, 02:29:58 PM »
got to Pecan Lodge today at about 9:45, there were already about 50 ppl in line for the 11 opening so my wife grabbed a place in line and I went looking for Lurlene, found her

by the time 11 rolled around, the line was all the way out the other door of shed #2

it appears that Pecan Lodge has a new rule in place, if you order more than 5# of meat, you get to go to the express line and skip the masses, this bit me in the ass as my goal for the day was beef ribs, they were sold out by 11:20 and my order was placed at 11:30 :angry:

anyways, the hot mess, was very good; sweet potato, chopped brisket, sour cream

the burnt ends were ginormous, about 2" cubes and although they were pretty good, too much sauce for my liking; could not find anything wrong with the mac w/ crumbled bacon

beef, jalapeno and cheddar sausage; left me wanting and thinking should have stuck with their regular sausage

pork ribs, looked great with great flavor but a little dry; collards were probably the best I've had

and finally the brisket, moist, tender and good flavor although I could have used a tad more smoke on mine; pinto beans were pinto beans although they had just the right amount of heat to them to make them interesting

overall, pretty good

would I wait in a line for 1:45 again to eat there, no, but if I'm to lazy to fire up my rig and need some Q for a party I will be taking advantage of the express line

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: August 03, 2013, 03:44:35 PM »
ya i had read about the new register/line skip thing last week, wouldn't apply to me though, i can't eat 5 lbs of meat. 

to be honest  that meat doesn't look very impressive although i am interested in the sausage.  did the smoke permeate the casing?  i've had issue with that in the past when cooking.  like you said, the ribs look dry and the brisket looks fatty. 

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: August 03, 2013, 04:44:23 PM »
yeah the whole experience left me a little underwhelmed but at this point in time, it is really the only good option for Q in Dallas with the exception of Smoke, which has longer waits and is a hybrid joint more than straight up Q

the sausage had little smoke flavor which surprises me because I burn mesquite sticks as well and it is hard to not get a real blast of smoke when using mesquite;  all of the Q left me wanting more smoke

but alas, unless you want to his some chains such as Dickey's, Rudy's or Spring Creek, this is what you are stuck with in Dallas and it is a shame as Texas is loaded with great joints but with the exception of The Woodshed and Cooper's (both in Ft Worth), none of them reside in DFW

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
goEMAW.com bbq, smoking, grilling, etc. thread!
« Reply #759 on: August 03, 2013, 04:46:48 PM »
LBBQIQ: am I wrong for liking Hard Eight?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: August 03, 2013, 04:49:13 PM »
yeah the whole experience left me a little underwhelmed but at this point in time, it is really the only good option for Q in Dallas with the exception of Smoke, which has longer waits and is a hybrid joint more than straight up Q

the sausage had little smoke flavor which surprises me because I burn mesquite sticks as well and it is hard to not get a real blast of smoke when using mesquite;  all of the Q left me wanting more smoke

but alas, unless you want to his some chains such as Dickey's, Rudy's or Spring Creek, this is what you are stuck with in Dallas and it is a shame as Texas is loaded with great joints but with the exception of The Woodshed and Cooper's (both in Ft Worth), none of them reside in DFW

i don't smoke with mesquite very often, probably should start sneaking some into the pit.  it kind of has a bad name around here.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: August 03, 2013, 04:50:14 PM »
Doing some ribs for my dad's bday. Unfortunately he has no smoker, so doing them in the oven, then finishing on the grill.   :don'tcare:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: August 03, 2013, 04:53:46 PM »

i don't smoke with mesquite very often, probably should start sneaking some into the pit.  it kind of has a bad name around here.

yeah, i call it skeet

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: August 03, 2013, 04:54:15 PM »
LBBQIQ: am I wrong for liking Hard Eight?

prolly not as I have never tried it but have heard it is alright

when I think of great Q i think of Franklin's, Smitty's, Cooper's, Kreuz, The Woodshed, Okie Joe's, Rosedale, LC's

anything short of that I'd just as soon make it at home because I feel I can make Q just as good as or better than the so-so places

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: August 03, 2013, 04:54:41 PM »
that works pretty well.  when i do it i just do the same thing as if i were smoking them, using the foil method then sauce then grill. 

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: August 03, 2013, 04:56:23 PM »
Doing some ribs for my dad's bday. Unfortunately he has no smoker, so doing them in the oven, then finishing on the grill.   :don'tcare:

i'd think long and hard about switching that around, start on the grill and finish in the oven

if you don't have a metal chip box, wrap some soaked chips in some aluminum foil and poke some holes in it so you can at least get some smoke flavor

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: August 03, 2013, 05:02:11 PM »
actually, I forgot that you are in kansas and probably slather your meat with sauce to finish it so do it the way you were talking about

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: August 03, 2013, 05:42:00 PM »
nope but hopefully you put some oil on the rough rider, helps make the skin crisp up and brown

Just getting started and coated them in olive oil.

Stuffed one with apple and bacon.

Stuffed one with pineapple and bacon

Stuffed the other with celery, onion, bayleaf, and bacon.

Did a simple seasoned salt, seasoned pepper, and old bay seasoning on the outside. 

Just went on.  Will see how it goes.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: August 03, 2013, 05:49:34 PM »
did you do them beer can style?  they're gonna be great.  smoked chicken is super pud and turns out great, makes great chicken salad with the leftovers.
i usually oil then use bbq rub and throw some crap into a beer can and set them on it.  3 hrs or so at 275.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: August 03, 2013, 05:55:20 PM »
I kinda decided to do this last minute and didn't have the beer cans to set it up(beer bottle snob here).  Def what to try that next go round.

Right now, I think I am just gonna set them straight on the grill for the first half of the time, then put them in an uncovered pan the second half to collect any remaining drippings.

We shall see.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: August 03, 2013, 05:56:29 PM »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: August 03, 2013, 06:04:41 PM »
you don't want those fuckers touching

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: August 03, 2013, 06:09:29 PM »

they're not on the grill yet  :shakesfist:

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: August 03, 2013, 06:21:11 PM »

Yeah, separated on the grill and out of the pan as we type.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: August 03, 2013, 06:56:44 PM »
actually, I forgot that you are in kansas and probably slather your meat with sauce to finish it so do it the way you were talking about

:bill:

turned out pretty good, minus the whole smoking flavor.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles