Author Topic: goEMAW.com bbq, smoking, grilling, etc. thread!  (Read 473770 times)

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Re: goEMAW.com bbq, smoking, grilling, etc. thread!
« Reply #4175 on: October 12, 2019, 09:17:32 PM »
I like my 'blanos with a good char on them.

Offline kansas_troll_patrol

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Fan
  • Do you have a permit for that thing?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: October 21, 2019, 09:57:51 PM »
It happened.  I always knew this day would come, but you can never really be ready for a loss like this.  The truth is that I have to admit she's gone.  The burner unit on my smoker died.  It's over for her.  After years of service she's been sent to the pits of hell where she'll smoke and smolder for an eternity. 

Though from the ashes a new love shall rise.  In short, it's shopping time folks.  I'm looking at a whole new world and am unsure which road to take.  My previous smoker was a vertical propane smoker.  She was solid.  I loved the convince of this smoker.  It usually took me about 45 to get it to temp and then it just ran. About every 3 1/2 hours I would walk out and throw a hunk of wood in the smoker, but other than that, she just ran.  I loved that I could take her camping or to a tailgate.   I might just go that route again.

I'm also considering a pellet smoker. The really like the idea of flipping a dial and having that thing just roll the perfect temp and smoke overnight. I do a LOT of over night cooks and I must admit I'm a bit tired of setting an alarm.  I've done some reading though that a pellet smoker never truly imparts that pure smoke flavor, though I kinda wonder if that's just elitist being snobs.  I must admit I've never actually eaten food from a pellet smoker.

I'm looking at a charcoal smokers as well.  WW has provided me with some amazing ribs & brisket from his WSM.  I've read enough about them to know they're just a solid solid smoker.  Also, I like the idea of not having any components that could fail.  I could buy a WSM and use it for the next 15 year.  My major complaint about these smokers are 1) I think they're expensive for how simple they are. 2) I'm not sure I want something that I have to add charcoal to on a 16ish hour cook.

So what say you gE?  Come on this journey with me.  Though I must warn you I don't move quickly.  It'll likely be a few months before I decide. 

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: October 21, 2019, 11:51:55 PM »
It happened.  I always knew this day would come, but you can never really be ready for a loss like this.  The truth is that I have to admit she's gone.  The burner unit on my smoker died.  It's over for her.  After years of service she's been sent to the pits of hell where she'll smoke and smolder for an eternity. 

Though from the ashes a new love shall rise.  In short, it's shopping time folks.  I'm looking at a whole new world and am unsure which road to take.  My previous smoker was a vertical propane smoker.  She was solid.  I loved the convince of this smoker.  It usually took me about 45 to get it to temp and then it just ran. About every 3 1/2 hours I would walk out and throw a hunk of wood in the smoker, but other than that, she just ran.  I loved that I could take her camping or to a tailgate.   I might just go that route again.

I'm also considering a pellet smoker. The really like the idea of flipping a dial and having that thing just roll the perfect temp and smoke overnight. I do a LOT of over night cooks and I must admit I'm a bit tired of setting an alarm.  I've done some reading though that a pellet smoker never truly imparts that pure smoke flavor, though I kinda wonder if that's just elitist being snobs.  I must admit I've never actually eaten food from a pellet smoker.

I'm looking at a charcoal smokers as well.  WW has provided me with some amazing ribs & brisket from his WSM.  I've read enough about them to know they're just a solid solid smoker.  Also, I like the idea of not having any components that could fail.  I could buy a WSM and use it for the next 15 year.  My major complaint about these smokers are 1) I think they're expensive for how simple they are. 2) I'm not sure I want something that I have to add charcoal to on a 16ish hour cook.

So what say you gE?  Come on this journey with me.  Though I must warn you I don't move quickly.  It'll likely be a few months before I decide.

Samesies to everything K_T_P said, but add "Is a Big Green Egg a viable smoker option?" to the list. Plz respond if you are @AST or AST-adjacent.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: October 22, 2019, 07:46:27 AM »
They absolutely are a viable option.  I prefer the Primo XL as they can fit 2 packer briskets without extra rack purchases.  You can also do a 16 hour smoke without adding fuel once you get it dialed in.  Amazing for grilling and a pretty good pizza oven as well.  Hard to do that with a pellet or offset.

Price point is high but for the versatility it can’t be beat.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: October 22, 2019, 08:28:49 AM »
My Yoder makes pretty good pizza.  :ck:
@mikec2w

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: October 22, 2019, 08:36:55 AM »
as a pellet owner, i will attest to the lack of smoke flavor.  however it's very easy and versatile for things other than just smoking.  i would just get whatever AST tells you to, otherwise it would be like going to the credit card thread and not doing what steve dave recommends

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: October 22, 2019, 08:45:33 AM »
What AST said. BGEs and that style are better smokers than pellets, better grillers than pellets, better pizza than pellets, better everything except expensive and you can’t plug it in and turn a dial.

Offline Church Creeper

• Fan
  • Help me get rid of it by sniffing it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: October 22, 2019, 10:15:07 AM »
Sorry for your loss KTP

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: October 22, 2019, 10:25:40 AM »
 :emawkid:
My Yoder makes pretty good pizza.  :ck:

I do not doubt that.  A ceramic grill can crank up to 900 degrees though and you have a wider varieties of pizza styles to make.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: October 22, 2019, 10:28:24 AM »
 :emawkid:
What AST said. BGEs and that style are better smokers than pellets, better grillers than pellets, better pizza than pellets, better everything except expensive and you can’t plug it in and turn a dial.

I picked up a DigiQ and can absolutely plug it in and turn a dial.  Makes smoking large cuts on a busy weekend so much easier. 

Offline Church Creeper

• Fan
  • Help me get rid of it by sniffing it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4185 on: October 22, 2019, 10:45:14 AM »
 :surprised:

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: October 22, 2019, 10:57:39 AM »
You’ve got my interest.  Does that thing help with getting the temp dialed in to start with or just to keep it steady once you’re there?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: October 22, 2019, 01:29:25 PM »
AST what is the best way to aquire a BGE or PRIMO XL that's not full price TIA

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4188 on: October 22, 2019, 02:17:43 PM »
AST what is the best way to aquire a BGE or PRIMO XL that's not full price TIA

I purchased a Primo through my wholesale supplier for my pool business.  Nowhere near retail.

You’ve got my interest.  Does that thing help with getting the temp dialed in to start with or just to keep it steady once you’re there?

It uses the fan to ramp up to temperature.

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: October 22, 2019, 04:56:16 PM »
Thank you so much for the kind words everyone.  We all experience loss at some point, but I never thought it would be this hard.  I would love to do a BGE but they're unfortunately out of my price point.  My current plan is to read as much as I can about paring a WSM & DigiQ. 

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4190 on: October 22, 2019, 05:19:17 PM »
Go with the knock off BGE that Lowes and Home Depot. They work pretty well for a fraction the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4191 on: October 22, 2019, 05:57:47 PM »
Go with the knock off BGE that Lowes and Home Depot. They work pretty well for a fraction the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This post raises a very solid point. 

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: October 22, 2019, 07:51:06 PM »
Also consider the Broil King Keg

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: October 25, 2019, 08:27:55 PM »
Whelp guys, I made a decision.  And so the work begins. I would really like to have someone sand blast this thing rather than hand sand it.  Does anyone know someone in MHK that provides that type of service?

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: October 26, 2019, 12:07:53 AM »
Whelp guys, I made a decision.  And so the work begins. I would really like to have someone sand blast this thing rather than hand sand it.  Does anyone know someone in MHK that provides that type of service?

Can’t you just steal one of the red spray painted ones from the Bill?
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: October 28, 2019, 10:25:17 AM »

@mikec2w

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4196 on: October 28, 2019, 12:04:15 PM »

I've always wanted to build one.  When they're built well it's just such a cool smoker.  Plus, dollar for dollar you can get a very large smoker for a fraction of the price of buying one.  Honestly, if it turns out terrible I'll have +/- $100 invested into it.  If I hate it I'll sell if off and go buy something else.  Right now I plan to build a heater meter to regulate the temp as well.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: October 29, 2019, 04:35:21 PM »
I get it.  I just hope the steel in that drum will be heavy enough to endure many seasons of use.  Would suck to put all that work into building something that rusts out in a few years.
@mikec2w

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: October 29, 2019, 04:38:26 PM »
I get it.  I just hope the steel in that drum will be heavy enough to endure many seasons of use.  Would suck to put all that work into building something that rusts out in a few years.

And that may be the case.  I'm hoping to have less than $200 invested in this smoker. If that's the case I'll be happy to get 5+ years out of it.   

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4199 on: October 29, 2019, 07:12:57 PM »

I've always wanted to build one.  When they're built well it's just such a cool smoker.  Plus, dollar for dollar you can get a very large smoker for a fraction of the price of buying one.  Honestly, if it turns out terrible I'll have +/- $100 invested into it.  If I hate it I'll sell if off and go buy something else.  Right now I plan to build a heater meter to regulate the temp as well.

Go to N Topeka on 24 Hwy and a few blocks E of N Topeka Blvd.  They turned a brick car wash into a large sand blasting area and they do all kinds of projects.  Don't know the name of the place, but it's just on the S side of the S Frontage Rd along N 24 Hwy.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.