Author Topic: Top 5 Concerts You've Ever Seen  (Read 24988 times)

Offline EMAWesome

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5 Concerts You've Ever Seen
« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2012, 11:21:30 PM »
1) moe. - Bonnaroo Late Night Stage, 2002 - We were front row. Robert Randolph sat in during Meat & had no idea the parts of the song...he was totally lost for the first part, then started to shred...he did that thing where he pushes the pedal steel away from him & catches it with his foot, well, the damn thing amlost hit me in the head we were so close. It was absolutly phenomenal (until SCI sat in, then I left). (http://archive.org/details/moe2002-06-22km140.shnf) seriously, download the mp3 of Meat...Randolph kills it!

2) 311 & The Urge - Municipal in KCK in '95 or '96 - RIGHT before 311 got big...this was my first concert. The Urge was amazing as always, and Hexum took the stage & said, "We're pretty rough ridin' pissed tickets were so expensive to this show, so we're gonna play for 4 hours!" They played al of Music, Grassroots & the Blue album & a couple tracks that ended up on Enlarged to show detail. Tickets were $13. Anybody that says 311 didn't used to be cool is in denial. I had SEVERAL 311 shirts  :blush:

3) Umphrey's McGee - The Pageant 12/29/2011 - Such a great show...really should check it out (http://archive.org/details/um2011-12-29.akgCE-1.flac16) I suggest starting with 'Resolution'

4) moe. - Liberty Hall 3/16/01 - The concert that changed my life. The summer before this, I had just seen Tattoo the Earth (Slipkont, (Hed) pe, Soulfly, etc)...as soon as I walked into the moe. show, I totally fell in love with the vibe. I'd listened to the abnd for years, but my first live show. They opened with Money by Pink Floyd, the rest was just epic. My friend I went with literally learned how to play guitar because I took him to that show. Total life changer (http://archive.org/details/moe2001-03-16.shnf)

5) My Morning Jacket - Starlight Theater 8/3/2012 Jim James is the absolute best showman in music since, I dunno...Axl Rose with the real GnR? My first MMJ show, and I was entranced the entire time with his energy, and that rough ridin' voice! How he has the vocal chord strength to sing the operatic parts to Wordless Chorus as an ENCORE is rough ridin' incredible.

A few Honerable MentionsOzzfest 1998 (Met Brandon Boyd from Incubus before anybody knew who they really were...they were THE reason I went to that show...but it was cool seeing Tool, Megadeth, Soulfly, Sevendust, System of a Down, Snot, etc... as that music style was on the ascent.

I've seen moe. 34 times in 9 states...I could fill a top 10 list with just moe. shows...Same goes for Umphrey's McGee which I've seen 13 times.

Kottonmouth Kings @ the Bottleneck...prolly in '99 or '00?   Went on the tour bus...nuff said :bigtoke:

2 Skinnee J's, Prolly '99 or '00 @ The Granada...these guys used to put on a hell of a show

:dance:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2012, 11:28:05 PM »
A couple of my friends absolutely loves moe. Seems like they have a super dedicated fan base.  Have heard good things, but never really got into them.
:adios:

Offline EMAWesome

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 13, 2012, 11:32:51 PM »
A couple of my friends absolutely loves moe. Seems like they have a super dedicated fan base.  Have heard good things, but never really got into them.

The fan base or moe.rons is incredible...that being said, I've kind of softened on the band over the last couple of years...they've gotten a little content, and haven't really added anything to their sound in a while, but I'll still never miss a local show...Umphrey's has firmly moved in front of them as my go-to band for sure. Umphrey's does so many cool things from a promotion/fan interaction standpoint, it is hard to ignore that if moe. had put half that energy into marketing/staying fresh, they'd be right there with them, instead of playing the same venues for the last 15 years

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2012, 11:34:56 PM »

The fan base or moe.rons is incredible...that being said, I've kind of softened on the band over the last couple of years...they've gotten a little content, and haven't really added anything to their sound in a while, but I'll still never miss a local show...Umphrey's has firmly moved in front of them as my go-to band for sure. Umphrey's does so many cool things from a promotion/fan interaction standpoint, it is hard to ignore that if moe. had put half that energy into marketing/staying fresh, they'd be right there with them, instead of playing the same venues for the last 15 years

Same friend loves Umphrey's fwiw.
:adios:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Top 5 Concerts You've Ever Seen
« Reply #129 on: August 13, 2012, 11:49:39 PM »
did anyone read that post about calvin harris crying?  man, that is wild

I enjoyed it, kc.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 14, 2012, 02:11:38 AM »
Toby Keith and Blake Shelton at the OOD was incredible.  That's number one on my list.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 14, 2012, 06:39:34 AM »
Pearl Jam-Sprint Center
Metallica - Sprint Center - Suite  :gocho:
Bush - when they were kind of cool in 1997
Candlebox - and some other crappy bands at Rockfest a long time ago when I was stupid and thought Rockfest would be fun

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 14, 2012, 06:55:12 AM »
Bunch of fat faced liars leaving garth brooks off their lists
Look at dobber, not being a fat faced liar. He puts on a hell of show with tons of energy. I have also heard that The Beach Boys (yes, The Beach Boys) put on one of the best concerts you can go to. I have not been, so they are not on my list.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 14, 2012, 06:56:54 AM »
Leonard Cohen, Dallas 2009
Weezer, Lawrence 2000
Arcade Fire/LCD Soundsystem, KC 2007
Rolling Stones, Wichita 2006
Spiritualized, Lawrence 2001
How many times did Leonard drop to one knee and cover his heart with his Fedora? I lost count at 80 bazillion when I saw him.
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 14, 2012, 09:00:35 AM »
Weezer, Lawrence 2000

Can't believe I didn't go to this. Now I'll never get to see James Murphy ever  :bang:

Arcade Fire/National was good a couple years ago though

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 14, 2012, 09:38:39 AM »
Bunch of fat faced liars leaving garth brooks off their lists
Look at dobber, not being a fat faced liar. He puts on a hell of show with tons of energy. I have also heard that The Beach Boys (yes, The Beach Boys) put on one of the best concerts you can go to. I have not been, so they are not on my list.

hey man, nobody is saying the beach boys don't put on a good show. crap, i've seen elton john and it was awesome. just not top 5. for me a top 5 show has to have the right combination of venue, artist, and performance. seeing elton in the BOK center was cool, but would have been 10X better to see him in a smaller venue like Cains.

Another good example are the times i've seen Radiohead (probably one of my favorite bands of all time). Once in Dallas at the Superpages.com Center and once at The Sprint Center. Both were incredible performances and an amazing setlist, but I find it hard to get really wrapped up in a show that is held in such a large place or is outdoors. If I had been able to score tickets to their Roseland Ballroom performance last year, I have no doubt it would have been my favorite show ever. Thems the breaks. Also just my opinion. Seen lots of outdoor shows and a decent amount of stadium shows and they are never quite as good (the Faithless show is an exception just because of the energy of the entire floor).

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 14, 2012, 09:39:59 AM »
so vanilla ice and run dmc still holding on strong in the #1 position.  will anyone challenge for the crown?  is it possible?

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 14, 2012, 10:19:53 AM »
so vanilla ice and run dmc still holding on strong in the #1 position.  will anyone challenge for the crown?  is it possible?

This doesn't quite qualify as a concert, but I once shared a counter with vanilla ice at the waffle house the morning after a show where he talked about how he blew all his money on "motorcycle parties" and whatnot and then his fake friends all bailed on him. So, that's probably #3 on my list.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 14, 2012, 11:04:10 AM »
This is VERY hard.

1. Modest Mouse / !!! @ Clunk Records in Fayetteville, AR. (2001) - Probably my first GREAT concert, and therefor can't be topped, way too much sentiment here.

2.  Sigur Ros @ Uptown Theatre (2006) - Also saw them at Redrocks (2008), but their sound is soooo much better in an indoor space.

3. Maserati @ Club 007 in Prague, CZ (2007) - Awesome, historic and intimate venue for one of my favorite bands at the time.

4. Portishead @ Hammerstein Ballroom in NY, NY (2011)

5. TIE - Wilco @ Cains Ballroom, Tulsa, OK (2011) / Faithless @ Incheba Expo Park, Prague, CZ (2007)

Sucks to have to leave off so many good ones, but these are the ones that come to mind.

I have to add a tie for 4th

Falty DL / Battles / Four Tet @ VIA Electronic Festival in Pittsburgh, PA (2007). I forgot how amazing that show was.

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 14, 2012, 01:39:24 PM »
This doesn't quite qualify as a concert, but I once shared a counter with vanilla ice at the waffle house the morning after a show where he talked about how he blew all his money on "motorcycle parties" and whatnot and then his fake friends all bailed on him. So, that's probably #3 on my list.

Speaking of washed up folks, somehow your post reminded me that I did karaoke with Jose Canseco one night.  Honestly I was so bombed that I don't remember much of anything after he joined us in our group's private room.  Definitely doesn't count as a concert, although he was singing.

I know this will get ripped apart, but here goes.

1. Pink Floyd, 1994 at Arrowhead. They were without Roger Waters, but still an awesome show.
2. Grateful Dead, 1991 at what was then called Sandstone Amphitheater in Bonner Springs. It was the Dead... what more need I say.
3. Negative Approach and Circle Jerks, 2006 at Waterloo Park in Austin, TX. They were the last 2 acts on the punk stage at the festival, and the only ones we cared about. It was only Negative Approach's second gig back after reuniting 25 years from their last, but they didn't miss a beat.
4. Old 97s, 2011 at Cat's Cradle in Carrboro, NC. Teddy Thompson opened and put on a fine show as well.
5. Sting, 1988 at Starlight Amphitheater, Swope Park in KC. He returned for a second show of the year during the Jazz Fest. His first solo tour so plenty of Police standards along with his own stuff.

And an Honorable Mention must go to the first concert I ever attended: Johnny Cash, sometime in the late 70s, at what was then the Shawnee County Fairgrounds in Topeka. The stage was set up in the front straight of the 1/4 mile dirt track and we sat in the grandstands. I was too young to really remember much, but it was Johnny Cash. Doesn't get much cooler than that.

Man, nothing to rip there!

I have also heard that The Beach Boys (yes, The Beach Boys) put on one of the best concerts you can go to.

I saw them at Bramlage.  It was pretty meh in my recollection.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 14, 2012, 01:53:38 PM »
5. Sting, 1988 at Starlight Amphitheater, Swope Park in KC. He returned for a second show of the year during the Jazz Fest. His first solo tour so plenty of Police standards along with his own stuff.

his solo tour actually played at Sandstone in 1985 as part of his The Dream of the Blue Turtles tour.

the 87/88 tour was the Nothing Like the Sun tour which i went to as well.  his first show in KC in 1988 was in June at Starlight, he came back a month later in July and played a show at Municipal Auditorium.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 14, 2012, 01:58:01 PM »

I have also heard that The Beach Boys (yes, The Beach Boys) put on one of the best concerts you can go to.

I saw them at Bramlage.  It was pretty meh in my recollection.
[/quote]
Consider dobber hearsay debunked!

Offline Frankenklein

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 14, 2012, 02:14:58 PM »
     Aerosmith 1978 Henry Levitt arena Wichita general admission almost got trampled getting in.A few months later a bunch of people died in a similar situation at a Who concert.
     Ted Nugent 1979 Kansas Coliseum Wichita back when Ted was super loud and known for breaking windows with said loudness
     Rolling Stones 1995 Some dumpy College Football stadium in Columbia Missouri kept thinking I smelled a meth lab and nasty vagina
     Saw a lot of summer jams around 1980 at Arrow Head all good
     Caught the Jimi Hendrix tribute show a couple years back at Salina small venue great show with a lot of talent on stage
      Saw most of the hair bands in the 80`s one just blurred into another
      The Foo Fighters at Sprint Center last year Gotta give em credit they put on as good a show as any I've ever seen
      This list really has no particular order and really serves no use other than to date me as an old eff

Offline spnshinqsn

• Fan
  • Seems legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2012, 02:39:06 PM »

his solo tour actually played at Sandstone in 1985 as part of his The Dream of the Blue Turtles tour.

the 87/88 tour was the Nothing Like the Sun tour which i went to as well.  his first show in KC in 1988 was in June at Starlight, he came back a month later in July and played a show at Municipal Auditorium.

I stand corrected. Sometimes the memory ain't what it used to anymore.  :embarrassed:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 14, 2012, 02:46:18 PM »
mine isn't either, but i knew your comment about his first solo tour was wrong b/c i remembered the DotBT tour so i went back and did some research.  regardless, we got to see an incredible show.  which reminded me of the Echo & The Bunnymen show in March 1988 @ Memorial Hall that was also awesome.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 14, 2012, 02:48:51 PM »
gaga was outstanding

sheryl crow was actually really good, and i don't care for her stuff.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 14, 2012, 02:53:23 PM »
saw vanilla ice at the granada in the late 90's (rap/rock version).  it wasn't that bad.

saw a dude with all the marilyn manson album covers tattooed on his back.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
Top 5 Concerts You've Ever Seen
« Reply #147 on: August 14, 2012, 02:59:49 PM »
Owned the rap/rock album

:embarrassed:

Offline theswo

• Combo-Fan
  • Keep shooting, Gilbert
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 14, 2012, 03:27:58 PM »
1. Arcade Fire/LCD Soundsystem - Starlight, 2007
2. mumped Up - Middle of the Map Fest, 2012
3. TV on the Radio/Little Dragon - Diamond City Ballroom, OK City, 2009
4. Sigur Rós - Uptown Theater, 2009
5. Thee Oh Sees/Total Control - Granada, 2011

Offline Prince McJunkins

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 14, 2012, 04:12:54 PM »
Weezer, Lawrence 2000
How many times did Leonard drop to one knee and cover his heart with his Fedora? I lost count at 80 bazillion when I saw him.
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."

Just an amazing show. No opener, just pure Cohen for two and a half hours. And yes, the seranade on bended knee was a reminder of his passion that was still clearly there. "Anthem" right before intermission was a definite highlight.