Author Topic: Top 5 Concerts You've Ever Seen  (Read 24974 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Top 5 Concerts You've Ever Seen
« Reply #175 on: August 15, 2012, 01:07:52 PM »
I think the only rap/rock show I went to (other than Pomeroy and 311) was Downset opening for Orange 9mm and Corrosion of Conformity at Crown Bingo Arena at Kellogg and Tyler in Wichita. Man, what a great time.

Here is downset (:lol:):

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 15, 2012, 01:11:48 PM »
And that reminds me, that I have to add the Deftones/White Zombie/Pantera show at the Kansas Coliseum to my honorable mention. Deftones were completely new to me and were pretty good, and White Zombie and Pantera were just so rough ridin' intense in very different ways.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 15, 2012, 01:52:04 PM »
Deftones are v. good.

I saw Deftones with Limp Bizkit / Linkin Park / Metallica in 03 in StL.  :peek:

Fred Durst came out on stage and said "THIS SONG IS DEDICATED TO BRITNEY rough ridin' SPEARS!" and then played Nookie. What a tool.  :lol:

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 15, 2012, 11:54:35 PM »
I think the only rap/rock show I went to (other than Pomeroy and 311) was Downset opening for Orange 9mm and Corrosion of Conformity at Crown Bingo Arena at Kellogg and Tyler in Wichita. Man, what a great time.

Not laughing....downsets first/self-titled album is worth checking out for RATM and nu metal heads.  Didn't care for the second album, and didn't hear anything after that.  Saw them at the Daily Grind in KCMO '95(?).  Saw CoC at the Outhouse (pre strip club) in '92.  I will now proceed to date myself some more.  Lots of rough ridin' great music in the early 90s though.

1. Bad Manners - Bottleneck '92 - novelty type of 2Tone era ska band from the UK - tight as hell and a party I didn't see coming; think Mambo #8 instrumental from the beginning of Office Space

2. RATM - Liberty Hall '93 - Zack de la whatever reads something about or by Leonard Peltier over in the Leavenworth penn before the show even begins and so everyone goes even more bonkers - not a fave band but amazing in that small of a setting

3. AC/DC - Kemper Arena '90(?) - best dick rock band live hands down; if you can't find a spot in your heart for them, you don't have a soul

4. Mighty x2 Bosstones - Outhouse '91 - oversell a 300 or so capacity place by 100+ easily - the Urge opens, people all over the stage and ceiling all night, and then like the whole place ends up at the Kwik Shop on Mass afterwards for free junk food (overnight cashier guy had no prayer)

5. Gwar - Bottleneck '90 - just started to refine their schtick and become a band you try to see at least 1x, otherwise they blow ass at music - the fake blood and stuff didn't wash out for a day or so and i was under-aged at an 18+ show so there was that thrill

Also, 311 and RHCP were disappointing to me live.  Cling to their studio sound too much or something.

Offline EMAWesome

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 16, 2012, 12:22:38 AM »

4. Mighty x2 Bosstones - Outhouse '91 - oversell a 300 or so capacity place by 100+ easily - the Urge opens, people all over the stage and ceiling all night, and then like the whole place ends up at the Kwik Shop on Mass afterwards for free junk food (overnight cashier guy had no prayer)

Whoa  :runaway:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 16, 2012, 12:40:28 AM »
In late 1991 / early 1992 Red Hot Chili Peppers played 5 shows with Pearl Jam and Nirvana as their supporting acts.  For the two months prior it was Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins.  I would kill all the drifters to go to any of those shows, but especially the 5 with Nirvana.
:adios:

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 16, 2012, 08:51:57 AM »
In late 1991 / early 1992 Red Hot Chili Peppers played 5 shows with Pearl Jam and Nirvana as their supporting acts.  For the two months prior it was Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins.  I would kill all the drifters to go to any of those shows, but especially the 5 with Nirvana.

Saw RHCP/Pumpkins/PJ at Memorial Hall in KCK.  PJ is good live; Pumpkins were ok the 2x I saw them back then (also lollapalooza 94(?).  layered the crap out of their guitar sound in the studio so they are just different live

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 16, 2012, 11:01:41 AM »

Not laughing....downsets first/self-titled album is worth checking out for RATM and nu metal heads.  Didn't care for the second album, and didn't hear anything after that.  Saw them at the Daily Grind in KCMO '95(?).  Saw CoC at the Outhouse (pre strip club) in '92.  I will now proceed to date myself some more.  Lots of rough ridin' great music in the early 90s though.

1. Bad Manners - Bottleneck '92 - novelty type of 2Tone era ska band from the UK - tight as hell and a party I didn't see coming; think Mambo #8 instrumental from the beginning of Office Space

2. RATM - Liberty Hall '93 - Zack de la whatever reads something about or by Leonard Peltier over in the Leavenworth penn before the show even begins and so everyone goes even more bonkers - not a fave band but amazing in that small of a setting

3. AC/DC - Kemper Arena '90(?) - best dick rock band live hands down; if you can't find a spot in your heart for them, you don't have a soul

5. Gwar - Bottleneck '90 - just started to refine their schtick and become a band you try to see at least 1x, otherwise they blow ass at music - the fake blood and stuff didn't wash out for a day or so and i was under-aged at an 18+ show so there was that thrill

Also, 311 and RHCP were disappointing to me live.  Cling to their studio sound too much or something.

This is a pretty boss list you have here. I was wondering if somebody was going to put up a Gwar show. I did not even realize they were that old.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 16, 2012, 11:41:08 AM »

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 16, 2012, 11:58:53 AM »
The top 4 are all Air Supply.

5th is probably PM Dawn.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 16, 2012, 12:00:22 PM »
Air Supply

have seen them.  what now mother rough rider

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 16, 2012, 12:25:33 PM »
Air Supply

have seen them.  what now mother rough rider

I would say you are blessed.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 16, 2012, 12:29:08 PM »

very happy to see GWAR on a list. have had the opportunity to see them several times and always missed out one way or another. the sure spectacle of the show has gotta be worth it.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 16, 2012, 12:36:58 PM »
gwar was great, just didn't make my top 5.  i saw them at the outhouse. 

thoughts?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 16, 2012, 01:36:05 PM »
gwar was great, just didn't make my top 5.  i saw them at the outhouse. 

thoughts?

prob at some of the same shows

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 16, 2012, 01:46:25 PM »
did u go to bad brains?  that was a show worth seeing. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 16, 2012, 02:23:53 PM »
did u go to bad brains?  that was a show worth seeing.

Did not.  Supposedly the most oversold outhouse show of them all....1000 people showed up or something.  Saw an HR-less bad brains at liberty hall in like '94  :frown: (for that one album on madonna's label).  And then some years after that they played the B-neck with HR and he only made it through like 1 song and then went to jail.  And was there for quite awhile I thought.

Offline HELLHAMMER

• Katpak'r
  • BO DARVILLE'S STUNT DOUBLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 16, 2012, 10:27:23 PM »
5:  Anthrax / Metal Church  About 1990 @ Cotillion.  Drinking Jager and Wild Turkey while thrash pioneers played their asses off!

4:  Belphegor / Hate / Keep Of Kalessin 2011 @ Oz Cafe.  Sadomasochism, Blackened Death Metal and corpse paint (DUH).

3:  Chris LeDoux 1996 @ Cheyenne Frontier Days.  Crazy show followed by partying with the band afterwards at the Cowboy South.

2:  KISS 1996 @ Kemper Arena.  Reunion tour, completely blew the roof of that worthless dump.

1:  Metallica / WASP / Armored Saint February 17th 1985 @ Cotillion. Front row watching Metallica redefine the term heavy metal, not knowing they would become pussies a few short years later.
High on Crack, Toting a Machine Gun

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 16, 2012, 10:48:06 PM »
1.  Pre-Christmas Trip to the Bay Area in 1969 allowed us to go catch the Stones.   Great show. 

2.  The Band in 1976.   The whole family was visiting my Dad's aunt again outside San Francisco for Thanksgiving, we popped into the city for the show the night of Thanksgiving.

3.  Another pre-Christmas Concert in 1979.   Visiting wife's relatives in Ohio and we drove into Cincinnati to see The Who.

4.  Summer Trip to Berlin in 1991, we caught Roger Waters.

5. 1964 The Beatles in Kansas City.  Thanks Charlie O!!

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 16, 2012, 10:56:46 PM »
1.  Pre-Christmas Trip to the Bay Area in 1969 allowed us to go catch the Stones.   Great show. 

2.  The Band in 1976.   The whole family was visiting my Dad's aunt again outside San Francisco for Thanksgiving, we popped into the city for the show the night of Thanksgiving.

3.  Another pre-Christmas Concert in 1979.   Visiting wife's relatives in Ohio and we drove into Cincinnati to see The Who.

i've been legitimately waiting for dax's input on this one.  :love:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Top 5 Concerts You've Ever Seen
« Reply #195 on: August 17, 2012, 12:11:16 AM »

Weren't you at KSU in the eighties? How did you pull off that Beatles show?

Great list, btw.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 17, 2012, 12:15:02 AM »
oscar Springsteen
Wilco
Arcade Fire
Wilco
Flaming Lips

Honorable Mention: Kanye West, Edward Sharp, the Strokes, Cake, Dr. Dog, Weird Al
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 12:55:40 AM by waks »

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 17, 2012, 12:17:09 AM »

How many people did you personally trample/crush?

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 17, 2012, 06:10:14 AM »
1. Radiohead - The Bottleneck - 1996 / The Bends tour (nothing has come close to topping this)

2. U2 - Arrowhead - 1992 / Zoo TV Tour

3. Radiohead - Grant Park Chicago - 2001 - Kid A

4.  Prodigy - Bologna, Italy - 1997
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 17, 2012, 06:26:42 AM »
Gwar played at grinders  the last two years our so