Author Topic: your favorite tv show ever  (Read 14515 times)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
your favorite tv show ever
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2012, 12:25:13 AM »
Daris!  I think Wonder Years is the most sweetly written TV show I've ever seen.   What's your favorite epi? 

Mine is Coda, where Kevin remembers his foray into piano lessons, and has to come to terms with coming in second place to Ronald Hershmeller, and ultimately face the regret he has after he quit.   From that episode, the two narratives that start and end the show absolutely break my heart every time I hear them:

When you're a little kid, you're a little bit of everything: Artist, scientist, athlete, scholar.  Sometimes it seems like growing up is a process of giving those things up, one by one.  I guess we all have one thing we regret giving up, one thing we really miss - that we gave up because we were too lazy, or we couldn't stick it out, or because we were afraid.

I never did forget that night.  I remember the light glowing from Mrs. Carpell's window.  And I remember the darkness falling as I sat out there on the street looking in. And now, more than 20 years later, I still remember every note of the music that wandered out into the still night air.  The only thing is, I can't remember how to play it anymore.

Daris - Bringonthecats and I always argue about this, but were you more of a Becky Slater or Winnie Cooper fan?

You really are a beautiful old soul, dlew.

1. Arrested Development (never thought I would like anything more than Seinfeld, but this show is perfect.)
2. Seinfeld
3. Freaks and Geeks
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
Re: your favorite tv show ever
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2012, 12:29:40 AM »
SkinnyBenny!

1. Arrested Development
2. House.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012, 01:47:50 AM »
many great questions. don't know my favorite show, but the above listed one that I gave would have to be top five. it's incredible.

winnie vs Becky is tough. they are real life sisters and producers had to choose between which one would be winnie. in the end I'd say they made the right choice and I'd have to go with winnie. rewatch the show that I listed above and try to tell me I'm wrong.
Yeah, I mean, I get what you're saying, but it just seems like Winnie sucks.  Maybe it's because she's just in so many episodes. I just don't like her.  It's like, "Gosh, another episode where Winnie is being super flakey and upset with Kev.  Weird."  Plus, that guitar riff every time she comes in. So annoying. Kevin's crazy about her, but I don't like her.  And she's so serious.  I don't know.  Maybe I just resent Winnie, because I know how everything ends up.  Gimme fling-Becky Slater any day.  She's such a bad girl.  Exactly the kind of girl junior high Kevin doesn't even know he wants.

Re. Your episode:
I LOVE IT.  The Matt "what's your x favorite movie stars/activities/songs/ etc" thing is incredible.  When I get a little sauced up, I love employing that tactic.  Plus the "kind of ---- you'll never forget forever" thing.   Also, the "right on the eye" part.  So funny.  Everyone can identify with that.   

BTW, you linked part 3 twice.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 01:57:27 AM by Dlew12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 02:18:50 AM »
1. Boy Meets World
2. Friday Night Lights
3. How I met your mother (only because I can't quit now)

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 02:33:57 AM »
1. The memory erase thing is a twist I was not expecting.  In that case (and more thinking about it), I'd have to flip a coin between Seinfeld and Friday Night Lights.

2. Dlew, mrs. hamburglar wanted me to add that her choice is The Wonder Years and Coda is her favorite episode of all time.  (She also said she hopes Robin doesn't find out that you got your sauce recipe out of an old Betty Crocker cookbook).

my goodness hamburglar.  :love: 

those are my absolute top 2 as well  :excited: you wouldn't happen to also love a little show by the name of ED would ya??

"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2012, 08:51:04 AM »
many great questions. don't know my favorite show, but the above listed one that I gave would have to be top five. it's incredible.

winnie vs Becky is tough. they are real life sisters and producers had to choose between which one would be winnie. in the end I'd say they made the right choice and I'd have to go with winnie. rewatch the show that I listed above and try to tell me I'm wrong.
Yeah, I mean, I get what you're saying, but it just seems like Winnie sucks.  Maybe it's because she's just in so many episodes. I just don't like her.  It's like, "Gosh, another episode where Winnie is being super flakey and upset with Kev.  Weird."  Plus, that guitar riff every time she comes in. So annoying. Kevin's crazy about her, but I don't like her.  And she's so serious.  I don't know.  Maybe I just resent Winnie, because I know how everything ends up.  Gimme fling-Becky Slater any day.  She's such a bad girl.  Exactly the kind of girl junior high Kevin doesn't even know he wants.

Re. Your episode:
I LOVE IT.  The Matt "what's your x favorite movie stars/activities/songs/ etc" thing is incredible.  When I get a little sauced up, I love employing that tactic.  Plus the "kind of ---- you'll never forget forever" thing.   Also, the "right on the eye" part.  So funny.  Everyone can identify with that.   

BTW, you linked part 3 twice.

i get what you're saying and don't really disagree expect to say that slater was nuts. like boil a rabbit nuts. you'd be looking for a way out before a month was up. winnie is that girl that should've worked out but timing was bad or she moved away or whatever and you'll just always kind of have to wonder...

also, that last episode was such a rip off. they filmed that ending scene with the cast thinking that they were all coming back for one more season. then abc hatched a plan, voiced it over and called it a day. horrible that they did that.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2012, 08:57:25 AM »
the wonder years is a good pick.  twin peaks and northern exposure would both be up there. 

Offline Dr. tylerhughes

• Fan
  • HEY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2012, 08:57:46 AM »
Pete & Pete (the pinnacle of American television)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2012, 09:07:46 AM »
also with the wonder years, the list of people that were in at least one episode and went on to do other stuff after is pretty amazing...

david schwimmer
giovanni ribisi
juliette lewis
peter billingsly
alicia silverstone
seth green
dustin diamond
mark paul gosselaar
carla gugino
breckin meyer
ben savage
larenz tate
kelly packard

i mean wow!

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2012, 09:08:37 AM »
Probably South Park or Mad Men

Hon. Mention:  SportsCenter circa Dan Patrick / Keith Olbermann / Kenny Mayne / Rich Eisen
Nostalgia Mention:  Rocky and Bullwinkle, (Cold War, eff the Russians!) 8dadpick would check these tapes out and watch them with 8bropick and I as kids.
:adios:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2012, 09:12:20 AM »
Either Scrubs or Sopranos

A-Team if whatever happened to me to give me amnesia also made me think I was 15yrs old every time I woke up.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2012, 09:14:33 AM »
1. Boy Meets World
2. Friday Night Lights
3. How I met your mother (only because I can't quit now) The Tudors

FYP

Offline kstate16

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2012, 09:15:32 AM »
1. Seinfeld
2. America's Funniest Home Videos

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2012, 09:18:39 AM »
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Battlestar Galactica
West Wing

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2012, 09:28:19 AM »
the wonder years is a good pick.  twin peaks and northern exposure would both be up there. 

Twin Peaks is incredible but man that stretch of 11 or so episodes in season 2 before the finale were just brutal. Everything else is perfect though.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2012, 09:30:47 AM »
The nerd in me really enjoys Big Bang Theory. Some people are all like "I just don't get the jokes" and I laugh in their right brained faces.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2012, 10:08:35 AM »
Pete & Pete (the pinnacle of American television)

Oh eff, you may be right.

The nerd in me really enjoys Big Bang Theory. Some people are all like "I just don't get the jokes" and I laugh in their right brained faces.

I get the jokes. They're awful. Big Bang Theory is probably the most polarizing show to come along in a long-ass time. Can't stand that crap, yet other people flip.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline kstate16

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2012, 10:12:20 AM »
I know this probably doesn't deserve on any "top" lists, but Parks and Rec has provided some awesome characters.  Ron Swanson  :love:

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2012, 10:18:45 AM »

I get the jokes. They're awful. Big Bang Theory is probably the most polarizing show to come along in a long-ass time. Can't stand that crap, yet other people flip.

:lol: The Big Bang Theory is polarizing. Gosh SkinBen, you crack me up!
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline bringonthecats

• Fan
  • #teamwillspradling #teamnosleeves
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2012, 10:23:07 AM »
Daris!  I think Wonder Years is the most sweetly written TV show I've ever seen.   What's your favorite epi? 

Mine is Coda, where Kevin remembers his foray into piano lessons, and has to come to terms with coming in second place to Ronald Hershmeller, and ultimately face the regret he has after he quit.   From that episode, the two narratives that start and end the show absolutely break my heart every time I hear them:

When you're a little kid, you're a little bit of everything: Artist, scientist, athlete, scholar.  Sometimes it seems like growing up is a process of giving those things up, one by one.  I guess we all have one thing we regret giving up, one thing we really miss - that we gave up because we were too lazy, or we couldn't stick it out, or because we were afraid.

I never did forget that night.  I remember the light glowing from Mrs. Carpell's window.  And I remember the darkness falling as I sat out there on the street looking in. And now, more than 20 years later, I still remember every note of the music that wandered out into the still night air.  The only thing is, I can't remember how to play it anymore.

Daris - Bringonthecats and I always argue about this, but were you more of a Becky Slater or Winnie Cooper fan?

daris, if you haven't figured it out already, dlew's team becky slater while i'm more of a team winnie cooper. personally, i identify more with becky, but i will firmly stand by my view that winnie and kevin are meant to be together, hence my allegiance to team winnie. and let's be honest guys, they're both bitches. just like all girls! winnie's a nicer bitch though, she means well.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2012, 10:24:34 AM »
Big Bang Theory is polarizing in that a lot of people with good taste think it sucks and a lot of people with bad taste think it's good.

Also, #teamwinnie. You'd be a bitch too if your brother was killed in Vietnam on the very first episode.

Offline bringonthecats

• Fan
  • #teamwillspradling #teamnosleeves
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2012, 10:26:59 AM »
oh and as far as favorite tv shows:
heroes (cancelled too early, it was showing promise by the end of its final season!)
how i met your mother
downton abbey
doctor who
the wonder years (obvious)

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2012, 11:28:43 AM »
Remember the Wonder Years where Kevin and his dad build the tree house?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
your favorite tv show ever
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2012, 11:33:03 AM »
Oh man. The Wonder Years is absolutely the definition of poignant.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2012, 11:39:43 AM »
as a kid - Erie Indiana or Amazing Stories.

As an adult - probably LOST or Mad Men.

Anyone who thinks HIMYM is good after season 2 should be beaten with a rubber hose.   Yes, I still watch, only because I've come this far I need closure.