Author Topic: Vinyl Addicts Master Thread / (Dobber hates having fun and stuff)  (Read 6040 times)

Offline SuperG

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Guys... I'm totally addicted to vinyl LPs and records and just had a great day at the thrift store. Thought I'd pass along some of these gems.

BSR RP-800 turntable $25 - I don't think this is great deal, but I needed a new serviceable player. It does have what appears to be a very lightly used, newer Shure stylus installed.

All Things Must Pass - George Harrison - 3 LP Box Set in really amazing condition. Paid $2 for it!!!!!
Help! Motion Picture Soundtrack - The Beatles - Great condition, no sleeve  :curse:
Meet the Beatles (Stereo) - The Beatles - Poor condition, no sleeve  :curse:, vinyl is in good shape. Can't wait to hear it.
Discovery (sealed) - Electric Light Orchestra - Double LP still sealed! Doubt I'll be the one to open it.
The History of... (sealed) - The Righteous Brothers - Like I say... still sealed.

Also: A couple old Glen Campbell albums in stellar condition and a handful of Carpenters LPs that are either sealed or near mint... They're a guilty pleasure.

Share your vinyl addiction experiences here.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 02:11:03 AM by SuperG »

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Vinyl Addicts Anonymous / A brand new goEMAW.com Master Thread!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 09:37:51 PM »
had my parent's old turntable and speakers when I was a kid.  How I got into the beatles and led zepplin.  I have a friend whose dad has spent thousands on modern vinyls and turntables/speakers.  He has an awesome set up.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 09:48:08 PM »
I once plugged something other than a record player in the PHONO jack on the receiver, made a very loud buzzing noise.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline SuperG

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 10:17:01 PM »
I once plugged something other than a record player in the PHONO jack on the receiver, made a very loud buzzing noise.

Is this the extent of your brushes with vinyl? If so, I think I can safely say you're not an addict and may now excuse yourself from this thread.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 10:19:07 PM »
Would make records play faster so it sounded like the chipmunks were singing
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline SuperG

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 10:33:08 PM »
Would make records play faster so it sounded like the chipmunks were singing

Now we're getting somewhere!

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 07:08:37 AM »
Mods, please rename to:
"Vinyl Addicts Anonymous / A brand new goEMAW.com Master Thread just for Super G because he went into a music store and shelled out $40 for a bunch of old crap and is having buyers remorse."

Vinyl? Who listens to vinyl except for that chipmunk reason which has now been covered?

Oh, wait, you can also spin the record backward to hear satanic messages. So there is another reason to listen to vinyl, but I think that would be a very select few number of people who want to listen to the satanic messages.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 07:11:02 AM »
I'm going to get crj on vinyl

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 08:07:00 AM »
I have a turntable and about 75 albums that's I listen to regularly and background noise in my home office.  :thumbsup:
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 08:09:26 AM »
You can also just pretend you're at a turntable and talk like J-Rock from Trailer Park Boys. "You know what I'm say-wwwrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-ing?"

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 09:30:15 AM »
You can also just pretend you're at a turntable and talk like J-Rock from Trailer Park Boys. "You know what I'm say-wwwrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-ing?"

You can't do a J-Rock without saying "Getaway Sticks" atleast once. 
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 01:29:53 PM »
I would like to purchase a turntable for under $100. Should I get a new one? scour craigslist for a used "gem"? What?

Offline SuperG

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 01:53:49 AM »
Mods, please rename to:
"Vinyl Addicts Anonymous / A brand new goEMAW.com Master Thread just for Super G because he went into a music store and shelled out $40 for a bunch of old crap and is having buyers remorse."

Vinyl? Who listens to vinyl except for that chipmunk reason which has now been covered?

Oh, wait, you can also spin the record backward to hear satanic messages. So there is another reason to listen to vinyl, but I think that would be a very select few number of people who want to listen to the satanic messages.

I'm sad for you. Vinyl is fun and you apparently don't like to have fun.

Offline SuperG

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 02:08:35 AM »
I would like to purchase a turntable for under $100. Should I get a new one? scour craigslist for a used "gem"? What?

For $100, I'd probably lean towards a new one unless there's a particular model you're after. You can also occasionally find some decent direct drive (DJamer) decks at pawns shops for around the price. You're just never sure how they've been treated.

For instance: http://buydig.store.buy.com/p/audio-technica-at-lp60-usb-lp-to-digital-record-cd-turntable-belt/214573401.html

I'm thinking about getting one of these. I've never downloaded much music and finding new releases on vinyl is becoming more and more prevalent (if you have a good record store to go to). Most of the time it's the same price as a CD and much more collectible. I'll exclusively buy wax and then drop the virgin spin to digital files. Also, most of the time when you buy and artists new release on vinyl you either get a CD in the package or you get a digital download of the album from their website.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Vinyl Addicts Master Thread / (Dobber hates having fun and stuff)
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 12:46:00 AM »
Just bought a turntable, guys. And a bunch of dollar-bin LPs. Feels pretty good. Love the sound...reminds me of my childhood. And I'm in line for a pretty sweet LP collection when my folks shuffle off this mortal coil.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 02:21:43 AM »
That new Jack White vinyl is amazing in so many ways without even having listened to it.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 04:14:02 AM »
The guys on American Restoration restored a "portable record player". I don't know how you were supposed to carry it, but I'm assuming on your shoulder like a boom box is the answer. Woof.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2014, 07:56:30 AM »
Just bought a turntable, guys. And a bunch of dollar-bin LPs. Feels pretty good. Love the sound...reminds me of my childhood. And I'm in line for a pretty sweet LP collection when my folks shuffle off this mortal coil.

well head down to urban outfitters and load up on some LPs (vinyl)

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2014, 09:51:43 AM »
Thought this thread was going to be about

:buh-bye:

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2014, 10:24:46 AM »

well head down to urban outfitters and load up on some LPs (vinyl)

:nono: uo too mainstream for me, bro

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2014, 10:51:13 AM »
that was kind of my point

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2014, 11:47:20 AM »

For $100, I'd probably lean towards a new one unless there's a particular model you're after. You can also occasionally find some decent direct drive (DJamer) decks at pawns shops for around the price. You're just never sure how they've been treated.

For instance: http://buydig.store.buy.com/p/audio-technica-at-lp60-usb-lp-to-digital-record-cd-turntable-belt/214573401.html

I'm thinking about getting one of these. I've never downloaded much music and finding new releases on vinyl is becoming more and more prevalent (if you have a good record store to go to). Most of the time it's the same price as a CD and much more collectible. I'll exclusively buy wax and then drop the virgin spin to digital files. Also, most of the time when you buy and artists new release on vinyl you either get a CD in the package or you get a digital download of the album from their website.

This was terrible advice, I got a pretty baller vintage TT for like $15.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2014, 12:04:13 PM »
Well I've got two turn tables and a microphone, chip.

Beck.

Fore!

Offline SuperG

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2014, 09:43:39 PM »
Yeah... But your just kind of baller in general.

Vintage $15 turntables are great until they break down, then you'll pay a bunch to get it fixed. Not saying you can't find one in good condition at a thrift store, but it's certainly not all that common.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2014, 09:45:43 PM »
Yeah... But your just kind of baller in general.

Vintage $15 turntables are great until they break down, then you'll pay a bunch to get it fixed. Not saying you can't find one in good condition at a thrift store, but it's certainly not all that common.

I got a steal, but you can get something of much better quality for under $100 that is old.