Author Topic: Google Fiber  (Read 31593 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: Google Fiber
« Reply #150 on: October 25, 2013, 10:33:45 AM »
Ben Ji's got a lawyer buddy who does the negotiations between Google and all the local cities in the metro.

Basically each city that allows google fiber to come in gets like 2% of each customers bill for allowing google to come in and tear up the city putting the fiber in.

Overland Park keeps asking for 4% and Google is all like "You cereal bro? Well I guess we will just sign up every other city in the metro"

It would appear your buddy is full of crap.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 25, 2013, 11:05:30 AM »
Ben Ji's got a lawyer buddy who does the negotiations between Google and all the local cities in the metro.

Basically each city that allows google fiber to come in gets like 2% of each customers bill for allowing google to come in and tear up the city putting the fiber in.

Overland Park keeps asking for 4% and Google is all like "You cereal bro? Well I guess we will just sign up every other city in the metro"

Regardless, OP needs to just buck up and quit acting superior for the sake of acting superior. Someone is padding the council's pockets on this one guys...

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2013, 11:07:47 AM »
I especially like the OP City Council's "Oh crap" moment after the fact.

Mayor Carl Gerlach said the council was surprised by Google's call for an indefinite delay at the Oct. 14 meeting. Still, the council pointedly passed a resolution calling for Google Fiber to set up shop in the city.

"Overland Park wants Google Fiber," Gerlach said this week. "the City Council is ready to sign on the dotted line. ... We're willing to wait as long as it takes."

Meanwhile, Time Warner and Surewest are all :cheers:.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 25, 2013, 11:10:25 AM »
I especially like the OP City Council's "Oh crap" moment after the fact.

Mayor Carl Gerlach said the council was surprised by Google's call for an indefinite delay at the Oct. 14 meeting. Still, the council pointedly passed a resolution calling for Google Fiber to set up shop in the city.

"Overland Park wants Google Fiber," Gerlach said this week. "the City Council is ready to sign on the dotted line. ... We're willing to wait as long as it takes."

Meanwhile, Time Warner and Surewest are all :cheers:.

And the city council members are like  :kstategrad: counting the money that their pockets are stuffed with...

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 25, 2013, 11:12:09 AM »

This information was relayed to me while binging down at the zarks, maybe I heard him wrong?

Doesn't matter, 1cat.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 25, 2013, 11:21:29 AM »
Thanks libtards  :curse:

How Kansas Won the Google Fiber Jackpot And Why California Never Will

“Google is a big believer in protecting the environment for future generations, but certain types of state and local environmental rules make investment very difficult,” he explained. ” Laws like the California Environmental Quality Act can make it prohibitively expensive for companies to invest in new projects, such as our fiber project, within California.

“ Many fine California city proposals for the Google Fiber project were ultimately passed over in part because of the regulatory complexity here brought about by CEQA and other rules. Other states have equivalent processes in place to protect the environment without causing such harm to business processes, and therefore create incentives for new services to be deployed there instead.”

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 25, 2013, 11:49:40 AM »
Thanks libtards  :curse:

How Kansas Won the Google Fiber Jackpot And Why California Never Will

“Google is a big believer in protecting the environment for future generations, but certain types of state and local environmental rules make investment very difficult,” he explained. ” Laws like the California Environmental Quality Act can make it prohibitively expensive for companies to invest in new projects, such as our fiber project, within California.

“ Many fine California city proposals for the Google Fiber project were ultimately passed over in part because of the regulatory complexity here brought about by CEQA and other rules. Other states have equivalent processes in place to protect the environment without causing such harm to business processes, and therefore create incentives for new services to be deployed there instead.”

Exactly. I heard from a lawyer buddy of mine who does all the negotiations with Google that Kansas City went in just the opposite direction.  For every 1000 feet of fiber installed, we agree to club one baby seal. Love living in a red state. It's not Texas, but close enough.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 25, 2013, 01:15:10 PM »

This information was relayed to me while binging down at the zarks, maybe I heard him wrong?

Doesn't matter, 1cat.

Maybe he was binging and wanted to sound like a big shot?

yup, #1cat

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 07, 2014, 10:19:59 AM »
Google Fiber proposal is on the table tonight for Overland Park, at the City Council meeting. (see link below under City Manager Bill Ebel).  The City Manager is recommending to the Mayor and Council that it be approved.

http://apps.opkansas.org/City-Government/Agendas-and-Minutes/City-Council/Agendas/2014/2014-07-07/agenda.html

If you know a Councilman, encourage them to approve it.  Or email the Mayor at [email protected]

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 07, 2014, 11:12:41 AM »
how are people enjoying their fiber?

Offline JohnCurrie is Weird/Gross

• Combo-Fan
  • Miss You Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 07, 2014, 11:22:10 AM »
Need to know if it's worth it to switch.  They recently installed all the fiber in my neighborhood.  They tore the living crap out of everyone's yard and blocked every road, it was an enormous mess.  I'm pretty happy with SureWest tv and internet speed, how is the fiber TV service?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 07, 2014, 11:24:56 AM »

my tenants love it

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #162 on: July 07, 2014, 11:27:12 AM »
Need to know if it's worth it to switch.  They recently installed all the fiber in my neighborhood.  They tore the living crap out of everyone's yard and blocked every road, it was an enormous mess.  I'm pretty happy with SureWest tv and internet speed, how is the fiber TV service?

Can't speak to the service, but yes, they tear the crap out of a neighborhood.  They did it to my old one days before I left.

The crew descended upon the subdivision like a bunch of locusts.  There were about 6-10 crews working 10-12 hour shifts.  They had it done in about three days, and they moved on.

All things considered, the crew that installed Time Warner in our old neighborhood was much, much more sloppy and took much longer.  But, yes, they'll dig a bunch of holes in your yard.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 07, 2014, 11:30:17 AM »

I work with a couple of people who live on the plaza who had pretty bad install experiences, but love the speed.  One guy is a pretty big torrent user, and it has been great for him.  Mixed reviews on the cable, apparently it didn't have AMC or something like that, and so they could watch zombies.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 07, 2014, 11:37:19 AM »
It doesn't have AMC which sucked.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 07, 2014, 11:49:07 AM »
It doesn't have AMC which sucked.

but man oh man I bet it's great when they stream it on netflix

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 07, 2014, 11:51:29 AM »
century link laid fiber in omaha but it's like a million dollars a month I think.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 07, 2014, 03:41:03 PM »
century link laid fiber in omaha but it's like a million dollars a month I think.

That's a lot of credit card points.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 07, 2014, 04:39:15 PM »
Thinking about going to GF.  One question,  do they have FS1? I don't see it on the channel list,  and that worries me.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 07, 2014, 04:40:11 PM »

sounds major small timey.  wait for Google.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 07, 2014, 07:09:17 PM »
Thinking about going to GF.  One question,  do they have FS1? I don't see it on the channel list,  and that worries me.

they have it, ch 207

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 07, 2014, 08:59:55 PM »
Passed unanimously!!!!

Overland Park is getting the fibes, bitches!

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 07, 2014, 10:09:52 PM »
I heard someone installed a virus on the google fiber network, just an FYI.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 07, 2014, 10:13:48 PM »
and no hbo go.  but.  does have longhorn network. 

:dunno:

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 07, 2014, 10:14:06 PM »
pete will leave OP the day fiber comes.  the next day, Texas will go independent