Author Topic: Ranking the Nations Best Coaches  (Read 3473 times)

Offline Kermit

• Fan
  • "Wanna Guess Where My Thumb Has Been"
    • View Profile
Ranking the Nations Best Coaches
« on: July 13, 2012, 01:46:48 PM »

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking the Nations Best Coaches
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 01:54:04 PM »
Snyds had better be NO MORE than 3 or 4 behind Weiss.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 01:55:47 PM »
It should go

1. Nick Saban
2. Mack Brown
3. Urban Meyer
4. Les Miles
5. Mike Gundy

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 01:57:41 PM »
2. LHC Bill Snyder, Kansas State Wildcats
159 wins, one conference championship in 20 seasons
Just who you were expecting at No. 2, right? Maybe not, but there's no shortage of praise for Snyder's body of work in an extremely difficult place to win.

Snyder intermittently makes a team in Manhattan, Kan., relevant in a top-flight league. The Wildcats twice were in the mix for a national championship before late fades. How many coaches could pull that off, really? "I have no idea how he has done it -- twice," one Big 12 coach said this summer. "He's a magician, as far as I can tell."

Imagine if he had more resources, a bigger budget, scenery. Do you really think Snyder couldn't win pretty much anywhere?

In some ways, he already does. Just consider his influence. Bob Stoops, Bret Bielema, Jim Leavitt, Mike Stoops and Brent Venables are among the names who've coached under him, and Urban Meyer has been influenced by his approach to offense.

The fact that, after a three-year hiatus, he is doing it again is what nails down his status high on this list. He cobbled together a roster of juco guys and castoffs last season, got them to play together in a no-frills system -- and got 10 wins out of them. The Wildcats are not Big 12 favorites this year, but they're not that far off the pace. Nothing Snyder teams do surprises anyone, really. Is it magic?
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 02:00:09 PM »
Saban #1 I'm assuming

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 02:00:44 PM »
Guys, what if Kansas State isn't really all that hard to win at and Snyder is just the only good coach we have ever hired?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 02:01:40 PM »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 02:06:04 PM »

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 02:07:41 PM »
Is Tim Beckman on there?  He's probably on there.
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 02:09:36 PM »
is that our new coach?  never heard of him.  probably sucks. 

big 10. ugh.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 02:19:35 PM »
is that our new coach?  never heard of him.  probably sucks. 

big 10. ugh.

:frown:
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 02:20:59 PM »
Mr. Bread, what happened to Ron Zook that made him suddenly suck at recruiting? Did he lose some assistants or something? He went to the Rose Bowl, then he couldn't recruit for crap afterward.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 02:28:28 PM »
Mr. Bread, what happened to Ron Zook that made him suddenly suck at recruiting? Did he lose some assistants or something? He went to the Rose Bowl, then he couldn't recruit for crap afterward.

His terrible, awful gameday coaching was too easy to use against him on the recruiting trail.  Negative recruiting killed him.  He brought in all that talent and didn't do jack with it (i.e., post-Rose Bowl nosedive).  He sold recruits on the future when he arrived at Illinois and then the future got here and it was all poopy and sad.  Tough sell going forward. 

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 02:44:07 PM »

His terrible, awful gameday coaching was too easy to use against him on the recruiting trail.  Negative recruiting killed him.  He brought in all that talent and didn't do jack with it (i.e., post-Rose Bowl nosedive).  He sold recruits on the future when he arrived at Illinois and then the future got here and it was all poopy and sad.  Tough sell going forward.

I would think the Rose Bowl season would help him make that sale, though. It just seems odd that a man can recruit so well when he's had no real success, and then the first time he has any success, everything falls apart.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 03:18:33 PM »

I would think the Rose Bowl season would help him make that sale, though. It just seems odd that a man can recruit so well when he's had no real success, and then the first time he has any success, everything falls apart.

What happened to LHCBS after we won the Dr Pepper?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 03:22:03 PM »

What happened to LHCBS after we won the Dr Pepper?

All of his good assistants left and his recruiting began to slide before we even got to the Dr. Pepper.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 03:59:15 PM »

A significant portion of the talent on that team was actually Ron Turner recruited.  They graduated and we were left with a bunch of Zook recruited and coached ultra-talented dummies and/or half-assers.  We sucked on the field and then even the really dumb super-talented kids wouldn't play for Zook.  That's not entirely true though.  He still managed to seduce a few studs every class right up until the end, but the results on the field were still extremely Zooky on account of him still being the head coach.  He was always more interested in being their best friend/coolest guy they know than having a disciplined, successful squad.  They routinely failed to show up in games or fell apart during, and then of course would upset one really good team.  It was horrible.