Author Topic: Any cyclists?  (Read 105339 times)

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Any cyclists?
« Reply #1025 on: March 01, 2024, 01:59:19 PM »
I'm looking at getting a bike and am seeking advice on what to look for. I used to bike a lot but only used a beach cruiser to get around. I was travelling 2-4 miles a couple times on a good week. Now I'm near a 17 mile, flat, paved trail and I think I'll want to go more than 2 miles at a time. As a newb, what's a good cheap bike to seek out on Facebook marketplace or a used bike shop? I'm looking at spending $200-$300.
Specialized Sirrus or Kona Dew or whatever Trek’s equivalent model is called would be great for something like this.

Trek Dual Sport 2?

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1026 on: March 01, 2024, 05:13:23 PM »
Roadie going in the shop tomorrow for the spring tuneup and an overhaul. Time for new spinning parts before a summer of hills across Kentucky.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: March 01, 2024, 07:36:48 PM »
Roadie going in the shop tomorrow for the spring tuneup and an overhaul. Time for new spinning parts before a summer of hills across Kentucky.

Hell yeah m8

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: March 09, 2024, 01:43:36 PM »
I got a Specialized Sirrus 1.0 today. It was advertised as a 2.0 so I was disappointed to learn it was only a 1.0. Decided to get it anyway because it felt good and it looked damn near new. Thank you for the help Sandstone and mocat.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1029 on: March 10, 2024, 08:50:25 AM »
The mechanic tried to get me to buy a new bike.

"You are putting $500 into a 12 year old bike. You should just buy a new one for $1500."

No, I'm spending less money to ride a bike with geometry that fits my body perfectly. Put on the new spinning parts, wrench man.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: March 12, 2024, 08:39:09 AM »
I got a Specialized Sirrus 1.0 today. It was advertised as a 2.0 so I was disappointed to learn it was only a 1.0. Decided to get it anyway because it felt good and it looked damn near new. Thank you for the help Sandstone and mocat.
enjoy! should be a good ride for you

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: March 12, 2024, 08:50:25 AM »
I know this thread is primarily about your personal cycling activities but I stumbled across this YouTube channel a few days ago and this is really fascinating. This couple is attempting to cycle from the northern border of Alaska to the tip of South America. In the first year, they made it to Mexico. Some incredible scenery as well as some conditions that look really miserable and scary.

https://youtu.be/LE-Z9ihEeac?feature=shared

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: March 12, 2024, 08:41:26 PM »
I know this thread is primarily about your personal cycling activities but I stumbled across this YouTube channel a few days ago and this is really fascinating. This couple is attempting to cycle from the northern border of Alaska to the tip of South America. In the first year, they made it to Mexico. Some incredible scenery as well as some conditions that look really miserable and scary.

i honestly can’t imagine attempting this without getting killed in some way, shape, or form.  probably by getting hit by a car.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: March 13, 2024, 08:09:39 AM »

i honestly can’t imagine attempting this without getting killed in some way, shape, or form.  probably by getting hit by a car.
From the portions I watched, I agree that getting run down by a car would be the #1 threat to life. Probably hypothermia, dehydration and falling off your bike and bleeding to death in the forest 100 miles from help would be close behind.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1034 on: March 13, 2024, 12:03:12 PM »
Roadie is back from the shop. Went out for a short spin last night. Looking forward to many miles as it warms up this spring.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: March 29, 2024, 02:36:30 PM »
if you are man enough to ride a bike with a stepover top tube, this is a really well-spec'd commuter (steel frame, 1x drivetrain, hydro disc brakes, rack & fender mounts, etc) in the $400-500 sweet spot. i would switch out the knobbies for a puncture proof road tread, get a wald basket on the front, dynamo hub to power a headlight, and you have a perfect commuter. next step is to start wearing scarves and designer sunglasses. imagine wading through a forest of european women throwing themselves at you while the world cup is in town as you roll up to the coffee shop / art gallery / loafer store on your way to the yacht club.
size medium frame, so you should ideally be under 5'-9" or so, which obviously tracks with the yacht club membership.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/749690373928405/

« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 02:50:02 PM by mocat »

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1036 on: March 31, 2024, 03:25:18 PM »
Add-on battery power for the rear wheel and a grocery wagon. Fully embrace the life.