Author Topic: T&P's to ku track and to the football team . . .  (Read 5160 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
T&P's to ku track and to the football team . . .
« on: June 11, 2012, 05:24:33 PM »
that with the help of multiple foundations, charities and local government, both programs will FINALLY have a facility to call their own.   Someday, its just going to be ku Memorial Football Stadium instead of ku Memorial Track-Field-Football stadium . . . and ku outdoor tracksters won't be subjected to one of the worst outdoor track surfaces and one of the worst overall track and FIELD setups in major conference athletics.

I guess the "Olympic Village" that's been on the drawing board for what?  Decades now?  Has been shelved?

From KUSports.com:

Assisting youth: Self’s Assists Foundation is ready to make a sizable donation toward a proposed recreation complex in northwest Lawrence. KU tentatively plans to build an outdoor track and soccer complex at the site as well.

“It is not done yet. Hopefully it’ll be finalized,” Self said. “I know there’s been several generous people in our community who stepped up to try to make this a reality ... and the backing of the city. The great thing about it is it will not cost people money. It will not raise taxes, at least the way I understand it now. It’s something that will definitely benefit the community, benefit the youth, which is my primary concern, to give them more opportunities, but also have huge economic impact moving forward.”

-------

Fans of Track and Field everywhere are really hoping this all pans out for ku after years of being shelved due to lack of funds.

:thumbsup:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 05:47:34 PM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline "storm"nut

• SOCK (outed by The Laundromat)
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: T&P's to ku track and to the football team . . .
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 06:33:16 PM »
If I'm reading it right, they are at some point going to build there track and soccer field. Not that with this donation it will be built. And on top of it, this complex sounds like Anemburg park on the west side of Manhattan. So KU is going to move there track stuff, at some point, to a public rec complex. Classic
RIP Fatty

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 06:57:45 PM »
for all the great things about lawrence and there really are a lot, they severely lag behind on rec field type stuff. they needed something like this twenty years ago. still no highschool football stadiums even though they have two pretty big highschools, but this is at least a start in the right direction.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 09:34:06 PM »
It is good, and it is good to see ku might be able to piggyback off the local project for area youngsters to finally get that new stand alone track complex built after all of these years.

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 12:20:20 AM »
for all the great things about lawrence and there really are a lot, they severely lag behind on rec field type stuff. they needed something like this twenty years ago. still no highschool football stadiums even though they have two pretty big highschools, but this is at least a start in the right direction.

Both high schools had stadiums when I was in HS in 09'.

Sunflower League FTW!!!!  :party:

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 08:29:10 AM »
Can we call the track and football structure the Hippodrome?   :driving:

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 10:21:42 AM »
Anemburg park on the west side of Manhattan.
wheres this at? I'd like to check it out

Offline "storm"nut

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 10:35:34 AM »
Anemburg park on the west side of Manhattan.
wheres this at? I'd like to check it out

Right next to shutyourstupidface lane, and youknowwerethefuckitisevenifmissspelled Blvd.
RIP Fatty

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 12:04:50 PM »
 :lol:

Offline one time gella

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 12:22:57 PM »
The question is...will the track go around the soccer field  :ohno: 

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 09:02:14 PM »

Both high schools had stadiums when I was in HS in 09'.

Sunflower League FTW!!!!  :party:

Yep. Both have stadiums now.

Offline MadCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 08:57:02 AM »
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/50829/ranking-the-big-12-facilities-by-team

10. Kansas: Want a good way to say -- intended or not -- that "We don't care enough about football?" Put a track around your football field. Kansas' facilities are nice, and like I said above, it's not all that far behind No. 4 Texas Tech, but the stadium is holding KU back.

Offline "storm"nut

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 09:35:51 AM »
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/50829/ranking-the-big-12-facilities-by-team

10. Kansas: Want a good way to say -- intended or not -- that "We don't care enough about football?" Put a track around your football field. Kansas' facilities are nice, and like I said above, it's not all that far behind No. 4 Texas Tech, but the stadium is holding KU back.

7. Kansas State: Kansas State is upgrading the concourse and press box of LHC Bill Snyder Family Stadium, but its biggest need is a place to hold visiting media postgame conferences.

:dunno: Out back behind the visiting teams trail is not good enough? Well eff you then.
RIP Fatty

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 12:18:13 PM »
lot of butthurt ku fans in the comments.  they have modern facilities, just not the one that people actually see/use.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »
Panendeist
Here's what else I can't stand about his snide comment, the stadium is 89 years old, the first built west of the Mississippi. For years, it hosted one of the most prestigious Track and Field events, yet Ubbs comment seems to indicate we recently decided to build a track around it as a big "F-U" to football. It wasn't because it was built in 1921 when American were more frugal and didn't generate millions of dollars from college football, its because KU wants to say we don't care about football. For someone who's supposed to be a Big 12 blogger, he sure seems like he wants to pile on with stereotypes in favor of other programs. Would it have really killed you to say, "The stadium needs a major upgrade and is keeping KU out of the Top 5, but the practice and weight facilities are ranked amongst the Top 10 in the nation, not just the conference."?less
1 fan likes this.
2 Hours Ago
RedDemon99
Well said. The only thing keeping the track in the stadium is the Kansas Relays, which has a lot of tradition that people don't want to throw out. The stadium could use a little work, but it isn't horrible. As already stated on here, the Anderson football complex is top-notch.
2 Hours Ago
ilegler86
No sh*t that is what I was thinking. He talks about how ISU needs to update their buildings and we have a brand complex. Charlie Weis said they were some of the best he'd seen, and he has been at Florida, Kansas City, New England. Ubbs is a joke.
2 Hours Ago
john_doug
The coach's office also has a huge walk-in shower / toilet combo and an alcove for a towel-boy. It was built for Mangino, but I'm sure Wies has found it very useful.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 03:13:13 PM »
the funniest part (and not just because i'm a kstate fan) was when he said that our "biggest need is a place to hold visiting media postgame conferences."

it's like yeah guy, i mean our stadium is a small dump erector set that only sits 50k and has bathrooms on stilts, two toned turf, the smallest jumbo tron in the history of jumbo trons and a pressbox that is about to get bulldozed but the bigest issue currently holding us back is the incredible need to have a better postgame conference place for visiting media. i mean my god.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 04:25:10 PM »
the funniest part (and not just because i'm a kstate fan) was when he said that our "biggest need is a place to hold visiting media postgame conferences."

it's like yeah guy, i mean our stadium is a small dump erector set that only sits 50k and has bathrooms on stilts, two toned turf, the smallest jumbo tron in the history of jumbo trons and a pressbox that is about to get bulldozed but the bigest issue currently holding us back is the incredible need to have a better postgame conference place for visiting media. i mean my god.

Can you see Fitz blasting a place that doesn't have a big enough buffet?  I bet it makes him furious (and hungry)

Offline MadCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 05:04:06 PM »

Ubbs started to sweat when they were publicly worrying about hosting playoff games in Manhattan.

Offline justTHEtip

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 08:21:49 PM »
lot of butthurt ku fans in the comments.  they have modern facilities, just not the one that people actually see/use.

I can see why they'd be upset. Actually spend a lot of green to get their "top 10 facility in the nation" only to have Ubbs clownsuit them. It really is a trashy place...
God Awful. Take A Lap.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 04:00:48 PM »
Zenger says no track in 2-3 years, is embarrassed that KU and Duke are the only D1 programs with tracks at their FB stadium.

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 04:05:26 PM »
K-State will have a state of the art pressbox, with not 1 but now 3 levels of suites, loge boxes, and a 2nd stadium club, all before KU gets rid of the track around their field, the recliners in the endzone, and the inflatable tunnel.  Really impressive what Mangino did at that place.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 04:10:30 PM »
really horrible what they're doing to the youth of KS. every year amateur athletes in KS are able to showcase their talents at the KU relays, and this will basically rip that opportunity right out from under them. rough ridin' monsters.

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 04:35:02 PM »

7. Kansas State: Kansas State is upgrading the concourse and press box of LHC Bill Snyder Family Stadium, but its biggest need is a place to hold visiting media postgame conferences.

:dunno: Out back behind the visiting teams trail is not good enough? Well eff you then.

A journalist whined about shitty media accommodations, how shocking.  Considering that it doesn't affect a single fan in the stadium....BFD, go cry about it elsewhere.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 04:39:19 PM »
LOL, weiss DNGAF about that program.

Offline EMAW4life-JHL

• Combo-Fan
  • Morgan Freeman's childhood friend/worst poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 06:06:39 PM »
i have never heard anyone say KU has top 10 facilities except KU fans taht are in no way affiliated with the school lol
Go Home Dad you're drunk