Author Topic: New/Old Bowl Game for the Big 12  (Read 7522 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: New/Old Bowl Game for the Big 12
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2012, 03:30:50 PM »

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2012, 03:36:40 PM »
It's only a big deal if this bowl game goes ahead and takes the next available team from each conference like the Rose Bowl does. There has never been a season in the BCS era where both the Big 12 and SEC haven't had a champion outside of the top 4.

2001. Unranked Colorado upset Texas in the Big XII Title game. #7 LSU upset #4 Tennessee in the SEC title game.

Colorado finished #3 that year.

How in the fack is that possible?  Colorado is unranked at end of season, but somehow moves up 23 spots to 3rd by winning CCG & Bowl game.  This is why the BCS rankings are bullshit and should not be used for ranking.   :curse:

CU was not unranked.  They were #9, moved to #3 after beating Texas, who was #3.  Also, CU lost the bowl game.  Who is just making this crap up?

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2012, 03:37:49 PM »
on top of having 2 in the playoffs making even more."

Isn't it just a 4 team playoff being considered? How would one conference get 2 in?

by having the top two teams.  sec would have this year wouldn't they?

So that means we wouldn't vote for Conference Champions only being allowed in, allowing ND to keep their position outside of a football conference

they aren't going to exclude any teams.
I don't think everyone gets the fact that the Conference Champion also has to be ranked 6th or higher; so if like this year where we didn't have 4 Conference Champions ranked in the top 6, then yes SEC has no. 1 and no. 2 get in.  Does this make sense?  :thumbs:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2012, 03:39:46 PM »

Isn't it just a 4 team playoff being considered? How would one conference get 2 in?

So that means we wouldn't vote for Conference Champions only being allowed in, allowing ND to keep their position outside of a football conference

I don't think everyone gets the fact that the Conference Champion also has to be ranked 6th or higher; so if like this year where we didn't have 4 Conference Champions ranked in the top 6, then yes SEC has no. 1 and no. 2 get in.  Does this make sense?  :thumbs:

This year would've been LSU, Bama, Okie St, Stanford no?  Unless Oregon finished at 6, then they take Stanford's spot

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2012, 03:40:28 PM »
It's only a big deal if this bowl game goes ahead and takes the next available team from each conference like the Rose Bowl does. There has never been a season in the BCS era where both the Big 12 and SEC haven't had a champion outside of the top 4.

2001. Unranked Colorado upset Texas in the Big XII Title game. #7 LSU upset #4 Tennessee in the SEC title game.

Colorado finished #3 that year.

How in the fack is that possible?  Colorado is unranked at end of season, but somehow moves up 23 spots to 3rd by winning CCG & Bowl game.  This is why the BCS rankings are bullshit and should not be used for ranking.   :curse:

CU was not unranked.  They were #9, moved to #3 after beating Texas, who was #3.  Also, CU lost the bowl game.  Who is just making this crap up?

Thx. ChiCat.   :cheers:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2012, 03:42:22 PM »

This year would've been LSU, Bama, Okie St, Stanford no?  Unless Oregon finished at 6, then they take Stanford's spot

Oregon finished 5th.

Thanks Katdaddy. Makes sense now. I'll listen off air from now on.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2012, 03:47:22 PM »
I thought there has been talk that the 4 teams would be the champs for each of the 4 major conferences?  Could have sworn I heard this on the radio the other day.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2012, 03:49:28 PM »
I thought there has been talk that the 4 teams would be the champs for each of the 4 major conferences?  Could have sworn I heard this on the radio the other day.

Couldn't be true.  They aren't going to blatantly chop out ACC/Big East/ND.  They have to give them a chance, even though they will rarely if ever make it

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2012, 03:53:00 PM »

Couldn't be true.  They aren't going to blatantly chop out ACC/Big East/ND.  They have to give them a chance, even though they will rarely if ever make it

I am prob Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!), but I thought that is what the Plus one thing was, to add a game that would have teams chosen by rank outside of the top four.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2012, 04:05:11 PM »

I am prob Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!), but I thought that is what the Plus one thing was, to add a game that would have teams chosen by rank outside of the top four.
Plus one means 4 team playoff.  Top 4 play eachother, with the "plus one" being the additional championship game after

Offline Ira Hayes

• Created #RayRayForAD
  • Katpak'r
  • The Marine that went to war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2012, 04:05:21 PM »
Look, the gist of this is that everyone outside the 4 power conferences is screwed. 

Due to the fact that we spread great K-Staters like Deloss Dodds, Shaehon Zenger, Kirby Hocutt, Bob Huggins and half of the OU football staff around the league, Kansas State held the heart of the conference together.  We then took on a president and AD from the SEC to tighten that relationship. 

Problem solved. 

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2012, 04:14:13 PM »
IMO, it'll be the Big 12/Pac 12/Big Ten/Sec half the years and the other half there will be a spot open for every other conference to compete for against the #2 SEC/Big 12 teams

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2012, 04:42:41 PM »
IMO, it'll be the Big 12/Pac 12/Big Ten/Sec half the years and the other half there will be a spot open for every other conference to compete for against the #2 SEC/Big 12 teams

yeah, everyone will have a go at.  was boise ever top 4 in their run prior to bowl games?  they would have gotten in if so. 

Offline Legit Elite

• Resident Vanier Barber
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2012, 05:35:14 PM »
'98 Cats would have been in (Alamo Bowl is on BTN right now PUKE)
'10 Horned Frogs would have been in.

Will Notre Dame be forced into the Big 12?

Playoff Mania begins!!!
Free edge up to defensive starters when opponents held under 10.

Offline WildCatzPhreak

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2012, 08:27:44 PM »
I like this.

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2012, 12:25:17 PM »
So does this mean that the Cotton Bowl now just takes the two teams after this new bowl?

Offline naturalselection

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2012, 01:24:10 PM »
So does this mean that the Cotton Bowl now just takes the two teams after this new bowl?

I'm guessing this will eventually just blow up the "bowls" all the way down the line (or most of the way at least).  Once the #'s on this come out, the conferences will see how much $ they've been pissing down the hole of bowl cronyism for decades.  The conferences will probably cross polinate themselves (big 10 #3 v SEC #3, Big 12 #3 v Pac 12 #3, etc).  It will be another way for the 4 power conferences to further consolidate their power (t.v. revenue) and make it harder for the non-power conferences to get teams into the mega money playoff system.  Who gives a crap about calling it the Cotton Bowl(or Orange, Sugar, whatever) if the conferences can pull an extra 50%-100% revenue out of playing the game?  The bowls won't go away regardless of how big the playoffs get (and I really doubt it will ever go higher then 8).  T.V. is too hooked on that programing, and the country will continue to watch it. 

Just awesome that we got in on the ground floor of it and partnered up with the BEST conference for football and the premier non-playoff game. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 01:26:58 PM by naturalselection »