Author Topic: The Whiskey Thread  (Read 91490 times)

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
Re: The Whiskey Thread
« Reply #800 on: March 26, 2021, 07:40:11 AM »
I cannot fathom enjoying whiskey "tasting." 

I don't drink whiskey anymore, but when I did I'd wager that I drank more of it than most of this blog put together.  It all tastes like crap.  All of it.  If it didn't eff me up, I would have never drank it.  All whiskey also tasted better with Diet Coke mixed with it, except Scotch.  That tasted like crap in Diet Coke too.

Now that I don't drink anymore, if someone came up to me and handed me a whiskey that allegedly tasted like the finest whiskey in the world, but it contained zero intoxicants, there is zero chance in the world that I would drink it.  LOL.
I dabble in a little bit of everything. I've thought about which I would miss most if I ever gave up hooch. Beer and wine are obvious but there are some decent NA alternatives. Whiskey is the only spirit that I would legitimately miss the taste of.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: March 26, 2021, 10:29:17 AM »

I don't drink whiskey anymore, but when I did I'd wager that I drank more of it than most of this blog put together.  It all tastes like crap.  All of it.  If it didn't eff me up, I would have never drank it.  All whiskey also tasted better with Diet Coke mixed with it, except Scotch.  That tasted like crap in Diet Coke too.

Now that I don't drink anymore, if someone came up to me and handed me a whiskey that allegedly tasted like the finest whiskey in the world, but it contained zero intoxicants, there is zero chance in the world that I would drink it.  LOL.
I dabble in a little bit of everything. I've thought about which I would miss most if I ever gave up hooch. Beer and wine are obvious but there are some decent NA alternatives. Whiskey is the only spirit that I would legitimately miss the taste of.

I was similar and drank all types, but missed wine and beer more than whiskey, despite being a huge whiskey drinker.  Before I quite, I too thought "I'll probably drink NA beer."  However, I haven't and don't drink any of the NA stuff.  Part of whole process of being a non-drinker (a lot goes into that, and I am very, very happy to talk in detail about it if anyone ever wants to know more) involves (for me) not being in the situations where I'd even want to, AND my tastes have changed a bit as well. There is a particular flavor of "non-drinking" that I follow, which is a very common one.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #802 on: March 27, 2021, 06:02:13 AM »
hey @IPA do you live around Louisville? If so I was hoping for another gE.c success story...I'm looking for a bottle but its only available to be purchased from their distillery in Louisville...
What do you seek?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #803 on: March 27, 2021, 06:04:28 AM »

I was similar and drank all types, but missed wine and beer more than whiskey, despite being a huge whiskey drinker.  Before I quite, I too thought "I'll probably drink NA beer."  However, I haven't and don't drink any of the NA stuff.  Part of whole process of being a non-drinker (a lot goes into that, and I am very, very happy to talk in detail about it if anyone ever wants to know more) involves (for me) not being in the situations where I'd even want to, AND my tastes have changed a bit as well. There is a particular flavor of "non-drinking" that I follow, which is a very common one.
Bill's friends are my friends.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: March 27, 2021, 08:03:37 AM »

Bill's friends are my friends.

;)

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: March 27, 2021, 08:42:41 AM »
hey @IPA do you live around Louisville? If so I was hoping for another gE.c success story...I'm looking for a bottle but its only available to be purchased from their distillery in Louisville...
What do you seek?

Old Forester 117 series. Appears to only be available for purchase at the OF distillery

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #806 on: March 27, 2021, 08:52:32 AM »
What do you seek?

Old Forester 117 series. Appears to only be available for purchase at the OF distillery
I'll see if I can swing by there this week and grab a bottle or two.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: March 27, 2021, 10:17:49 AM »
What do you seek?

:thumbs: :thumbs: Also  :excited:

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: April 17, 2021, 08:43:17 PM »
I think Irish whiskey is very good. I think I may be done with bourbon for a while. Just getting into it. I’ve enjoyed Tullamore DEW and Busker. Looking for Green Spot after reading good reviews about it. Any other recommendations?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: April 17, 2021, 09:05:09 PM »
I think Irish whiskey is very good. I think I may be done with bourbon for a while. Just getting into it. I’ve enjoyed Tullamore DEW and Busker. Looking for Green Spot after reading good reviews about it. Any other recommendations?
I like both from time to time. Bourbon can certainly get sweet over time.

Jameson black label is great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline waks

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: April 19, 2021, 07:00:29 PM »
Red Breast, Teeling, Writer's Tears

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: May 01, 2021, 10:47:02 PM »
Apparently this is newly imported into KS, that’s what the sign said anyway. It was pretty good.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: August 27, 2021, 01:26:02 PM »
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: September 22, 2021, 08:44:51 AM »
Red Breast, Teeling, Writer's Tears
The other day I was in the Irish whiskey section and picked up a bottle of something called "The Knot". Looked like it was an irish whiskey but it is actually some sort of extremely sweet / vanilla-ish / creamy-ish liqueor inspired by Irish whiskey and not actually Irish whiskey. Very strange stuff. I think it may have a use for making hot toddies this winter. xpost to "shame yourself" thread.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: November 10, 2021, 07:10:52 PM »
OK, I'll probably be suckered into getting this, and I'm ok with that

https://www.kstatesports.com/news/2021/8/27/athletics-k-state-launches-whiskey-partnership-with-boot-hill-distillery.aspx
They finally had some in stock and I got a bottle. $60 rough ridin' dollars. It’s pretty meh tbh and there was so much wax on mine I basically needed a grinder to get it open. If they were trying to be like Makers they have a lot of work to do. Would not buy again.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: November 10, 2021, 09:28:13 PM »
OK, I'll probably be suckered into getting this, and I'm ok with that

https://www.kstatesports.com/news/2021/8/27/athletics-k-state-launches-whiskey-partnership-with-boot-hill-distillery.aspx
They finally had some in stock and I got a bottle. $60 rough ridin' dollars. It’s pretty meh tbh and there was so much wax on mine I basically needed a grinder to get it open. If they were trying to be like Makers they have a lot of work to do. Would not buy again.

same
@mikec2w

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: November 11, 2021, 05:10:42 AM »
My go to is Knob Creek, on the rocks.  Sam's has it and JD at damned good prices so I stock up.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: November 11, 2021, 02:01:40 PM »
went to Weston whiskey fest last weekend.  it was awesome.  40 bucks to get hammered on all kinds of 'skey's was sweet.  Surprisingly a lot of nice bottles too.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #818 on: December 15, 2021, 12:09:38 PM »
What do you seek?

I haven't forgotten about you. They only have 100 bottle at a time. Gotta get there fast!

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: December 15, 2021, 01:42:52 PM »
What do you seek?

I haven't forgotten about you. They only have 100 bottle at a time. Gotta get there fast!

oh crap that's awesome. Well I will keep my fingers crossed. Knew it was popular but didn't realize it was that popular!

Offline waks

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: December 23, 2021, 01:30:24 AM »
Scored a bottle of EH Taylor Small Batch yesterday. Rare find these days. Have an in on a Thomas H Handy that I'm pretty excited about. Really wish I could get a bottle of William Larue Weller but I refuse to pay secondary market prices.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: January 18, 2022, 10:03:12 PM »
Back from my fun trip to Scotland, now gotta say my favorite Scotch is Caol Ila 12 year, it's like Lagavulin Lite, but in the best way. Great smoky flavor (which I like) while being light and slightly sweet. Amazing combo.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: March 22, 2022, 06:20:14 PM »
Jerome Tang Old Fashioned
4 p Wabash Bourbon
1p Proof Orange Syup
2d Hella Citrus Bitters

Help me make this better.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: March 22, 2022, 06:23:20 PM »
Jerome Tang Old Fashioned
4 p Wabash Bourbon
1p Proof Orange Syup
2d Hella Citrus Bitters

Help me make this better.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

no tang?

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: March 22, 2022, 06:23:43 PM »
Use something other than Wabash bourbon.
@mikec2w