Author Topic: Potential transfers and new guys  (Read 22918 times)

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
Re: Potential transfers and new guys
« Reply #150 on: April 15, 2021, 06:01:20 AM »
board cred meant something back then.
We're aging with responsibilities. Can't be betting with your health when you have a mortgage and two kids.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 15, 2021, 08:27:08 AM »
I'll wait to see the noncon before I predict where we're going, but I feel like this could be an 8-10 conference win team. The Big 12 will still have a gaudy rpi and kenpom, but it will be down, wins could be had.

I'm close to talking myself into WVU to win it next year. Of course the portal can change all of this.

This non-con schedule is going to be absolute trash

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 15, 2021, 09:39:36 AM »
I'm not as excited about these players as some of you although Massoud certainly seems like a Bruceian player so maybe he'll improve.  I'm not sure Nowell can consistently get buckets at the P5 level at his size but we did need a PG to help keep us get under 20 TOs a game.

I'd like to see some guards/forwards that will attack the basket somewhat consistently but that appears to be all on Miguel at this point.

I'm going on record now by saying Nowell will struggle to score efficiently and guard anyone, at all.

Interestingly enough, KU got a very similar player in Joseph Yesufu. I'm confident that Self will be able to get him some shots though. oscar's offense has been trash pretty awful in creating good shots for people though and being 5'7" or whatever Nowell is, won't be beneficial to finding his own shot.
Oscar's trash offense is why I think you take 4-6% off the shooting percentage of the newcomers.  They may look like upgrades on paper but by the time they get Bruced, they will be the same players we always have.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 15, 2021, 09:59:20 AM »
Some of you guys need new material. We've had a great spring in recruiting. I'm optimistic. Go cats!

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 15, 2021, 10:09:03 AM »
Some of you guys need new material. We've had a great spring in recruiting. I'm optimistic. Go cats!

I don't know how you can claim it's no big deal that we lose Dejuan and then do backflips when we get someone objectively worse in every statistical category other than 3pt%.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 15, 2021, 10:25:22 AM »

I don't know how you can claim it's no big deal that we lose Dejuan and then do backflips when we get someone objectively worse in every statistical category other than 3pt%.
Dejuan never lived up to his hype. I loved his energy, but he was raw. The #burnitdown crowd wants to elaborate how much oscar sucks for losing shitty players they never liked in the first place and ho hum about legit level transfers coming in. It's so bizarre. The 'zifried's of the world are like "oscar sucks at not getting good juco players like Justin Williams ":lol:" and never lands legit transfers!" and BOOM! He's rough ridin' crickets, planning his next attack on the next goalpost to move. Everything that was requested of oscar to keep his job if he was going to stick around, has been delivered since the end of the season. Let some of us glow a bit and stop stuffing stat sheets down your eyeballs, at these players last stops, at other shitty squads.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 15, 2021, 10:58:15 AM »
These are all role players. 

oscar has put together a nice team of role players which may scratch and claw their way into 6th place next year and possibly be a bubble team.

I hadn't realized that having a revolving door in the basketball training facility and backfilling with role players superseded the requirement to win actual basketball games.

If what WackyTuck says is true, then we have the easiest P5 athletic department to work and coach for in the entire country.

Decent pay, good swag, nice offices, good perks, few expectations.   :thumbsup:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 15, 2021, 11:08:23 AM »
Must suck to be old and grumpy all the time. :frown:

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #158 on: April 15, 2021, 11:30:18 AM »
Oscar's trash offense is why I think you take 4-6% off the shooting percentage of the newcomers.  They may look like upgrades on paper but by the time they get Bruced, they will be the same players we always have.

Agreed.  We need someone to come in and implement an offense that gets shooters "Ultra Wide Open" rather than just wide open as I'm sure that would've helped these snipers we keep recruiting.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 15, 2021, 11:39:54 AM »
oscar’s offense doesn’t generate as many good looks as it should, that’s legit.  It definitely drops our shooting percentage. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 15, 2021, 11:45:42 AM »

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 15, 2021, 12:11:15 PM »

Dejuan never lived up to his hype. I loved his energy, but he was raw. The #burnitdown crowd wants to elaborate how much oscar sucks for losing shitty players they never liked in the first place and ho hum about legit level transfers coming in. It's so bizarre. The 'zifried's of the world are like "oscar sucks at not getting good juco players like Justin Williams ":lol:" and never lands legit transfers!" and BOOM! He's rough ridin' crickets, planning his next attack on the next goalpost to move. Everything that was requested of oscar to keep his job if he was going to stick around, has been delivered since the end of the season. Let some of us glow a bit and stop stuffing stat sheets down your eyeballs, at these players last stops, at other shitty squads.

My point is you call Dajuan shitty and Massoud legit despite that Massoud has been objectively worse (and was also a highly rated recruit that did not live up to the hype).   It isn't that I have a burn it down agenda, I'm looking at data.  It's that you want to be right in propping oscar up more than you want KSU to be good at basketball.

Offline dean_ksu

• We Gave You Chris
  • Fan
  • Dance or Bust!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 15, 2021, 12:17:17 PM »

My point is you call Dajuan shitty and Massoud legit despite that Massoud has been objectively worse (and was also a highly rated recruit that did not live up to the hype).   It isn't that I have a burn it down agenda, I'm looking at data.  It's that you want to be right in propping oscar up more than you want KSU to be good at basketball.

Massoud was forced to play out of position at Wake Forest though and this will not happen as a Wildcat.   He will be an integral part of the team next year that wins the Big 12 and contends for a national championship.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 15, 2021, 12:29:33 PM »
I don't gaf about propping oscar up. I care about fun recruiting and making the team better. This seems fun and I hope we're good.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 15, 2021, 12:35:49 PM »

Smith replaces D Gordon and Massoud replaced A Gordon.   Newell replaces Rudi.   It’s an upgrade at all three spots.  Also Massoud was forced into the 5 spot at Wake last year so his his stats are skewed.  It’s why he shot lower from 2Pt than 3Pt last year.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 15, 2021, 12:50:42 PM »
there is no such thing as a oscar fan, he's a dork. just non-haters. i would have been for his firing if he had a bad offseason. but the oscar haters hate him even when he's in the tourney or winning big 12 titles. we are the objective ones.

these 3 guys aren't home runs but that's fine. i always thought if nobody major left (and no major addition), the freshman class would be pretty good next year, and a top 15 kind of team in 2 years. replacing the lost guys with slight upgrades is a nice bonus. i'm putting a lot of value in their shooting because we had zero last year. it's really going to open things up for miguel and bradford to operate.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 15, 2021, 12:57:00 PM »

Agreed.  We need someone to come in and implement an offense that gets shooters "Ultra Wide Open" rather than just wide open as I'm sure that would've helped these snipers we keep recruiting.

I'm certain that you aren't the tuck I had this conversation with on twitter, but oscar's offense at K-State has been inarguably bad. Whatever metric you want to use, shooting percentages or offensive efficiency ratings, K-State has spent most of the last decade in the bottom half of the conference in these stats.

I know his teams struggle to get open, in rhythm shots. If you think it's just payers missing open shots, then you blame oscar for recruiting players who can't hit shots

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 15, 2021, 01:11:29 PM »
If you never learn newcomers' names, it's not a lost investment when they leave.

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 15, 2021, 01:20:06 PM »
Wake fan on reddit re Massoud: "I like ish. But he was one of the most frustrating players to watch. Bad shot selection, no effort on defense, cannot dribble, and is one of the least athletic players I've seen. Other than the insane game against Pitt, he was disappointing."

Another Wake fan: "Was too unathletic to be a 3, and not strong enough to be a 4 this year ... "

Seems to check all the Oscar boxes except that he has outside shooting ability. Obviously, he isn't going to help on the boards or be much inclined to on a team weakened by the loss of its to best rebounders.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 15, 2021, 01:36:59 PM »
there is no such thing as a oscar fan, he's a dork. just non-haters. i would have been for his firing if he had a bad offseason. but the oscar haters hate him even when he's in the tourney or winning big 12 titles. we are the objective ones.

these 3 guys aren't home runs but that's fine. i always thought if nobody major left (and no major addition), the freshman class would be pretty good next year, and a top 15 kind of team in 2 years. replacing the lost guys with slight upgrades is a nice bonus. i'm putting a lot of value in their shooting because we had zero last year. it's really going to open things up for miguel and bradford to operate.
This

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 15, 2021, 01:44:17 PM »
Wake fan on reddit re Massoud: "I like ish. But he was one of the most frustrating players to watch. Bad shot selection, no effort on defense, cannot dribble, and is one of the least athletic players I've seen. Other than the insane game against Pitt, he was disappointing."

Another Wake fan: "Was too unathletic to be a 3, and not strong enough to be a 4 this year ... "

Seems to check all the Oscar boxes except that he has outside shooting ability. Obviously, he isn't going to help on the boards or be much inclined to on a team weakened by the loss of its to best rebounders.
On this team we slap the rough ridin' floor

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 15, 2021, 01:52:03 PM »

On this team we slap the rough ridin' floor
It's an open question whether Massoud is athletic enough to slap the floor. He might just flick it, and call it good. Now the 5-7 midget PG, he'll slap hard with both hands, but still be a midget.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 15, 2021, 02:04:19 PM »
trying too hard

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 15, 2021, 02:20:49 PM »

WackyTuck just loves to see our school pump millions upon millions of dollars into coaches pockets for shitty results.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 15, 2021, 02:43:53 PM »

WackyTuck just loves to see our school pump millions upon millions of dollars into coaches pockets for shitty results.

trying too hard