Author Topic: Tipping  (Read 46699 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Tipping
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2012, 11:07:04 AM »
Here's a question. When you go to a place like Hu Hot that has a tip jar for the cooks, how do you split up your tip? Do you go 15% to the waitress, 15% to the cook? Do you back it off to 10% each? Or do you just tip the waitress like you normally would and just stick $1 in the cook's jar? I usually go with the third option here.

EDIT: Honestly, I almost never carry cash, so I usually don't tip the cooks because I rarely think about it before I show up at the restaurant. I always feel bad about this when it happens.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:25:48 AM by Nuts Kicked »

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2012, 11:28:58 AM »
I was at Applebee's once and this loser at the table next to mine left a tip based on the amount of the bill AFTER applying a $25 gift card.  His girlfriend/wife was like "Ummm, honey I don't think that's how it works" but he didn't care.  I looked at him and did this   :sdeek:  but he didn't see me.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2012, 11:32:54 AM »
you know what i hate?  when they add the tip on the bill for when you have large groups.

screw you, stupid waiter.  don't tell me how much i'm going to give you for doing your job. 

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2012, 11:39:42 AM »
you know what i hate?  when they add the tip on the bill for when you have large groups.

screw you, stupid waiter.  don't tell me how much i'm going to give you for doing your job. 

I hate it when they don't tell you they've added it. 

I ate at a fancy place in Vegas, had an amazing meal.  The waiter was in his 40s and real professional, but he could tell he had a young couple and relaxed some, had fun with it, and played to the audience.  Then, he pointed out that they included the tip (not really sure why in hindsight).  I mena, I'd usually tip over the included one anyway, but in ChiCat's book, that gets you bonus tip.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2012, 11:42:03 AM »
Are we really debating tipping? C'mon guys. Think like a  :kstategrad:

20% standard, plus/minus 10% depending on bad/great service

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2012, 11:44:18 AM »
Swift cats probably rolling at the office right now with this superb trolling effort, probably just handed the pizza delivery guy a 20.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2012, 11:47:43 AM »

I hate this too.  I mean, I tip better than the auto gratuity anyway, but still should be my choice.  Also, in my biz, if a bunch of your work is in one place, people expect a better deal due to increase in productivity.  I mean, it's easier to carry a bunch of crap to one table than smaller amts of crap to 8 tables.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2012, 11:54:37 AM »
I don't like the auto-gratuity, but it makes sense. Large groups usually occupy their table for extended periods of time, and the server has to spend a lot of time at the table to take orders, get drinks, etc., diminishing their quality of service at all of their other tables. It makes sense for a restaurant to make sure that the server doesn't get completely screwed over by some bad person covering the check who only tips $2-3, regardless of what the total bill is.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2012, 11:58:52 AM »
Lots of places in S. Florida put the auto-gratuity on regardless of how many people are there (2).

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2012, 12:00:56 PM »
Lots of places in S. Florida put the auto-gratuity on regardless of how many people are there (2).

I bet this is because of all the old people there.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2012, 12:03:01 PM »

I bet this is because of all the old people there.

lol, you're probably right

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2012, 12:03:15 PM »
because of all the old people there.

In trendy restaurants and clubs?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2012, 12:18:39 PM »
I always would have tipped more than the gratuity they add, but rarely, if ever, tip more when they do.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2012, 12:20:32 PM »
This has surely been discussed before, but I dislike the TIP section on receipts in situations I would clearly not tip, such as carryout pizza/sandwiches etc. Always makes me feel awkward handing that receipt back with nothing written there. I used to draw a line through it but I thought just ignoring it would be better.

Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2012, 12:22:05 PM »
I have been told that you should tip more when you use a credit card because the waiter/waitress has to pay taxes on their credit card receipt tips. My response was "BFD. They can pay taxes just like anybody else." Where does everyone stand on this?

I don't really care about them having to pay taxes on it or not.  However, I always tip in cash at my local bar because I know they appreciate it and now they always give me free drinks and serve me first.  If it is somewhere you frequent, play it to your advantage. 
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2012, 12:22:35 PM »
This has surely been discussed before, but I dislike the TIP section on receipts in situations I would clearly not tip, such as carryout pizza/sandwiches etc. Always makes me feel awkward handing that receipt back with nothing written there. I used to draw a line through it but I thought just ignoring it would be better.

Yeah, I hate those, too.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2012, 12:30:03 PM »

smashburger

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2012, 12:41:50 PM »

Local call-in/pick-up sushi place has this in addition to the tip jar on the counter.  It got so popular that it's usually a 30-40 minute wait.  I started putting $1.00 in that line.  Now when I call they tell me "5 minute for you, we do yours next."   :gocho:
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2012, 12:47:58 PM »

I tip a couple bucks when picking up stuff.  I mean, they are handling my food.

Offline Playboy X

• Katpak'r
  • Fan
  • Shaken, Not Stirred
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2012, 12:48:05 PM »
i got a tip- stfu and vote

pbx
Women and weed, what else matters?

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2012, 01:32:49 PM »

smashburger

OK Joe's.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2012, 02:55:31 PM »

smashburger

OK Joe's.

just tipped at Ok Joes today, carry out

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2012, 02:57:33 PM »
How was the line, clams?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2012, 03:46:06 PM »
How was the line, clams?

Pro tip-

Order carryout, skip line, pickup order from carry out, eat inside.

Works at chipotle as well.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2012, 04:16:11 PM »
don't be a rough ridin' nazi, idahawk.  you tip what you want, let her tip what she wants.  it's none of your rough ridin' business.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."