Author Topic: Tipping  (Read 46651 times)

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
Re: Tipping
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 12:50:41 AM »
in regards to three...yeah. guess what? no one does. no one.

how many people do you think wait tables or bars or whatever for a living in the states? one bajillion? two bajillion? if the us switched over to your method of tacking on 15% to the food and then paying their employees that extra 15% directly then those full time people would immediately start taking home much, much less every year. dunno how much (10% on average?). if you're making 30k a year as a full time bartendar or waiter/waitress then just 10% is $3,000 extra using the current system versus the one that has the restaurant paying the employee directly by raising menu costs. still sure that you would want that system if you were a waiter?

Yes, I realize that, that's why I included the tidbit about internet purchases. I don't report my internet purchases either.

In response to your second paragraph, I get taxed for all of the money I make right now. I don't think it would bother me if I got taxed for all of the money I made if I waited tables.

EDIT: And your 3000 lost with the built in 15% doesn't account for all the extra money I'll be making with my superior waiting skillz.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:57:56 AM by SwiftCat »

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 12:58:00 AM »
in regards to three...yeah. guess what? no one does. no one.

how many people do you think wait tables or bars or whatever for a living in the states? one bajillion? two bajillion? if the us switched over to your method of tacking on 15% to the food and then paying their employees that extra 15% directly then those full time people would immediately start taking home much, much less every year. dunno how much (10% on average?). if you're making 30k a year as a full time bartendar or waiter/waitress then just 10% is $3,000 extra using the current system versus the one that has the restaurant paying the employee directly by raising menu costs. still sure that you would want that system if you were a waiter?

Yes, I realize that, that's why I included the tidbit about internet purchases. I don't report my internet purchases either.

In response to your second paragraph, I get taxed for all of the money I make right now. I don't think it would bother me if I got taxed for all of the money I made if I waited tables.

well you have the choice about internet purchases and you choose to not report, so i don't believe the second part of your response. you have already shown what you would do. you'd report the absolute minimum that you had to and you'd call it good.

with the current system, you'd make much more money than you would under your proposed one if you were a waiter/tender. that shouldn't seem "silly" to you. also, what if you had the option of only getting taxed for 30% of the money that you currently make now and not getting taxed on the other 70. would you still choose to get taxed on all of it? because that's what we're talking about. also, if you say yes to this then you need to start reporting every internet purchase you make from this day on.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 01:06:22 AM by rick daris »

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 01:06:39 AM »
well you have the choice about internet purchases and you choose to not report, so i don't believe the second part of your response. you have already shown what you would do. you'd report the absolute minimum that you had to and you'd call it good.

with the current system, you'd make much more money than you would under your proposed one if you were a waiter/tender. that shouldn't seem "silly" to you. also, what if you had the option of only getting taxed for 30% of the money that you currently make now and not getting taxed on the other 70. would you still choose to get taxed on all of it? because that's what we're talking about.

Now you are asking me if I think sales tax is fair, which is a whole different topic. I'm all for waiters and waitress getting paid. I would choose not getting taxed over getting taxed any day of the week. Mo' money is mo' money. But I would also choose to avoid waiting tables, and not rely on tips. So this is all semantics.

I still have the fundamental disagreement with a tip being "expected." I understand what you are trying to do with the big picture and show me how a 15% tip is better than the alternative, but it didn't work.

:cheers: For a good discussion. I'm going to bed.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, 01:12:47 AM »

with the current system, you'd make much more money than you would under your proposed one if you were a waiter/tender. that shouldn't seem "silly" to you. also, what if you had the option of only getting taxed for 30% of the money that you currently make now and not getting taxed on the other 70. would you still choose to get taxed on all of it? because that's what we're talking about.

Now you are asking me if I think sales tax is fair, which is a whole different topic. I'm all for waiters and waitress getting paid. I would choose not getting taxed over getting taxed any day of the week. Mo' money is mo' money. But I would also choose to avoid waiting tables, and not rely on tips. So this is all semantics.

I still have the fundamental disagreement with a tip being "expected." I understand what you are trying to do with the big picture and show me how a 15% tip is better than the alternative, but it didn't work.

:cheers: For a good discussion. I'm going to bed.

fine. if there was some kind of judge or something for our discussion and we were allowed to go on a little bit more, i'd win easily. just know that.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2012, 01:14:37 AM »
That's why I tapped out. I knew you were winning. It's like the exact opposite of Beating Bobby Fischer.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2012, 01:21:47 AM »
That's why I tapped out. I knew you were winning. It's like the exact opposite of Beating Bobby Fischer.

haha. probably not. just know that the next time you tip 15 or 20%, the person you tipped is getting pretty much all of it as opposed to much less if you would've paid 28.95 for that filet as opposed to 24.95. it will make you feel good. also, your "sales tax" which you seem to have an issue with will be less. win for you and win for the employee.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 01:24:58 AM by rick daris »

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2012, 06:35:16 AM »
Don't ever tip with Sonic Coupons. Service staff don't really appreciate that.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2012, 08:12:04 AM »
I have been told that you should tip more when you use a credit card because the waiter/waitress has to pay taxes on their credit card receipt tips. My response was "BFD. They can pay taxes just like anybody else." Where does everyone stand on this?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2012, 08:28:07 AM »
I have been told that you should tip more when you use a credit card because the waiter/waitress has to pay taxes on their credit card receipt tips. My response was "BFD. They can pay taxes just like anybody else." Where does everyone stand on this?

Never heard that,  but it wouldnt change anything for me. Many times it seems like they pull the cash out of the register for the tip on the card reciept.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2012, 08:48:27 AM »

I generally try to tip cash on card purchases to reduce their liability.

I use a 15% standard, though I USUALLY do tip 20%.   I have started taking the stance that for high dollar meals, I will do 15%.    Honestly there are few instances where I've had a $150 meal for 2 that had service far and above my average meal out, so I'm not going to automatically give you $30.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2012, 09:17:27 AM »
Serving has been shown to be one of the most stressful jobs there is. You know why? Because when people are dicks to you, you have to be nice. You can't retaliate. And your mind and body aren't meant to do that, so there becomes this disconnect that is a really stressful thing to manage.

Point being, tip you server, retards.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2012, 09:36:03 AM »
I don't believe in tipping, I believe in over tipping.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2012, 09:37:25 AM »
hey everyone, finish them up!  you don't have to go home but you can't stay here!  be sure and tip your bartenders and waitresses on your way out, let's go let's go let's go! everybody out!

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2012, 09:47:21 AM »
On the other hand, is there anything worse than people who watch you like a hawk and call you out for not tipping enough? I once had somebody call me out for tipping a waitress $3 on an $18 beer tab (all bottles). I wanted to punch him in the face.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2012, 09:53:53 AM »
always tip well, unless the person is rude or something.

Offline J

• Katpak'r
  • Just call me "Hollywood"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2012, 09:55:55 AM »

"That will be 19.95 plus tip"

What do I do??  :ohno:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2012, 10:02:27 AM »

"That will be 19.95 plus tip"

What do I do??  :ohno:

Give him $3. If he showed up faster than you expected, give him $5.

Online kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2012, 10:03:19 AM »
I don't ever do any calculations of what I tip, but I can assure you that it is always over 15%.

Offline J

• Katpak'r
  • Just call me "Hollywood"
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »

"That will be 24.95 plus tip"

NOW what do I do???  :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:

What if I accidentally run away?

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2012, 10:11:30 AM »
I always tip at least 20% and in increments of $5.  If the 20% thing is less than $5, I round up to $5. 

easier and makes the public happy.

The lady that cuts my hair loves me.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2012, 10:34:54 AM »

"That will be 24.95 plus tip"

NOW what do I do???  :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:

What if I accidentally run away?

Tip $4. If she shows up faster than you expected, tip $5.

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2012, 10:38:38 AM »
I don't tip delivery people very well.

eff delivery people.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2012, 10:43:55 AM »
I don't tip delivery people very well.

eff delivery people.

Honestly, they probably deserve a tip more than a waiter. They drive their own car, get paid dick, and people don't tip them well. I don't understand why anybody would ever take that job.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2012, 10:58:02 AM »
i normally decide what i'm tipping when they greet us at the table.  first impressions are everything.

also, i don't feel sorry for waiters.  get a real job and you don't have to worry about it.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2012, 11:00:14 AM »
it's not a city in china guys. omg. lol.