Poll

Who do you have your hard earned money and Salty Iguana burritos on?

Self
34 (47.9%)
Weber
37 (52.1%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Author Topic: Jerrance Howard: Who will win this recruiting battle?  (Read 27732 times)

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
Re: Jerrance Howard: Who will win this recruiting battle?
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 01:42:28 PM »
@prepbullseye Per a most reliable source: the two most likely landing spots for Jerrance Howard are either Florida or Memphis.

Offline GodBamNightmare

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2012, 04:26:06 PM »
April 11, 2012 - Champaign N-G Basketball Beat Writer

Q:  Do you think it will hurt the U of I to not have retained Jerrance for recruiting?

A:  Dave- We'll see. What I see is a coach building an impressive staff. Dustin Ford and Jamall Walker are excellent, particularly in player development. If you watched last season, that's what this team needs (dribbling, passing, shooting). Recruiting-wise, Walker will handle Chicago and St. Louis; Ford largely will be in Indiana and Ohio; John Groce will be everywhere. And there will be some overlap. This staff wants to operate in a six-hour "breadbasket" of recruiting - while reaching outside of that ratio for the occasional prep school recruitment or otherwise. And six hours is a loose term. Hopefully you get what they mean by that. As for your question, I think it would hurt the U of I more (from a PR/alumni standpoint) if it doesn't handle Jerrance Howard's contract situation well. He played at Illinois, he's an alum (his wife is, too) and he was the lead recruiter on (roughly) half your roster. So we'll see which direction that goes. He's very good on the recruiting trail. And like I wrote in today's News-Gazette - joining oscar Weber at Kansas State is a distinct possibility for Jerrance. If he were making a move today, it would be to K-State. Klee

UPDATE:  The chat was edited...it now reads

As for your question, I think it would hurt the U of I more (from a PR/favored alumni standpoint) if it doesn't handle Jerrance Howard's contract situation well. He played at Illinois, he's an alum (so is his wife) and he was the lead recruiter on (roughly) half your roster. Want to lose Deron Williams' influence and good favor? Jerk around his best friend and former roommate. So we'll see which direction that goes. Jerrance is very good on the recruiting trail. And like I wrote in today's News-Gazette - joining oscar Weber at Kansas State is a distinct possibility for Jerrance Howard. Unless something changes, I expect his next job will be in Manhattan. Klee

http://www.illinihq.com/chats/2012-04-09/april-11-illinois-basketball-chat.html
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 07:25:41 PM by GodBamNightmare »

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2012, 04:39:22 PM »
 :thumbs:
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2012, 04:53:09 PM »
 :crossfingers:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2012, 06:53:27 PM »
 :thumbs:

Offline OlatheWildcat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2012, 06:57:59 PM »
Don't get your hopes up  :shakesfist:
Follow me on Twitter @OlatheWildcat12

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2012, 09:15:44 PM »
Don't get your hopes up  :shakesfist:

Would be an excellent motto for WildCat Weber ball 2012-2013.

The poster will be boss in a laid back, don't forget your hug on the way to the locker room way.

Offline KSUTOMMY

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2012, 07:05:56 AM »
April 11, 2012 - Champaign N-G Basketball Beat Writer

Q:  Do you think it will hurt the U of I to not have retained Jerrance for recruiting?

A:  Dave- We'll see. What I see is a coach building an impressive staff. Dustin Ford and Jamall Walker are excellent, particularly in player development. If you watched last season, that's what this team needs (dribbling, passing, shooting). Recruiting-wise, Walker will handle Chicago and St. Louis; Ford largely will be in Indiana and Ohio; John Groce will be everywhere. And there will be some overlap. This staff wants to operate in a six-hour "breadbasket" of recruiting - while reaching outside of that ratio for the occasional prep school recruitment or otherwise. And six hours is a loose term. Hopefully you get what they mean by that. As for your question, I think it would hurt the U of I more (from a PR/alumni standpoint) if it doesn't handle Jerrance Howard's contract situation well. He played at Illinois, he's an alum (his wife is, too) and he was the lead recruiter on (roughly) half your roster. So we'll see which direction that goes. He's very good on the recruiting trail. And like I wrote in today's News-Gazette - joining oscar Weber at Kansas State is a distinct possibility for Jerrance. If he were making a move today, it would be to K-State. Klee

UPDATE:  The chat was edited...it now reads

As for your question, I think it would hurt the U of I more (from a PR/favored alumni standpoint) if it doesn't handle Jerrance Howard's contract situation well. He played at Illinois, he's an alum (so is his wife) and he was the lead recruiter on (roughly) half your roster. Want to lose Deron Williams' influence and good favor? Jerk around his best friend and former roommate. So we'll see which direction that goes. Jerrance is very good on the recruiting trail. And like I wrote in today's News-Gazette - joining oscar Weber at Kansas State is a distinct possibility for Jerrance Howard. Unless something changes, I expect his next job will be in Manhattan. Klee

http://www.illinihq.com/chats/2012-04-09/april-11-illinois-basketball-chat.html

:pray:
We are K-State and we love to hire SHlTTY coaches.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2012, 09:27:08 AM »
Is that from a beat writer?  Beat writers are the laziest people on the face of the earth.  guy probably hasn't even fired off a text asking anyone about Jerrance.

Offline GodBamNightmare

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2012, 10:33:53 AM »
Is that from a beat writer?  Beat writers are the laziest people on the face of the earth.  guy probably hasn't even fired off a text asking anyone about Jerrance.

The NG beat writer got his info from Howard, they are chummy and talk daily.  Also it appears that Florida may hire Rashon Bruno TwitLink and Memphis doesn't appear to be kicking Jimmy Williams to the curb.  Looks like KSU may be Howard's only option right now.  Howard still has the obstacle of his Illinois contract & he wants most of the $$.  The KSU train is leaving the station and Howard has to get on by the end of this week.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2012, 10:36:59 AM »
good post GBN

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2012, 10:37:58 AM »
good post GBN

agreed, but why in the world wouldn't we wait for him? Or just pay him what Illinois owes him? Maybe oscar has some ace in the hole. who knows.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2012, 10:38:14 AM »
damnit K-State, leave the train in the station till Jerrance is ready to board!!!!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2012, 10:39:45 AM »
damnit K-State, leave the train in the station till Jerrance is ready to board!!!!

exactly. IT'S NOT LIKE THIS TRAIN IS GOING ANYWHERE INTERESTING ANY TIME SOON. WHAT'S YOUR HURRY, TRAIN.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2012, 10:43:32 AM »

exactly. IT'S NOT LIKE THIS TRAIN IS GOING ANYWHERE INTERESTING ANY TIME SOON. WHAT'S YOUR HURRY, TRAIN.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2012, 10:49:29 AM »
I'm going to choose to believe we are using every advantage and waiting until the current dead period ends (today) to go along with Weber's claim of finishing "by the end of the week". Let those guys make a bunch of calls this week, especially to the '13 class (or even '14) which is where the recruiting emphasis really needs to be right now.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2012, 10:53:44 AM »
I'm going to choose to believe we are using every advantage and waiting until the current dead period ends (today) to go along with Weber's claim of finishing "by the end of the week". Let those guys make a bunch of calls this week, especially to the '13 class (or even '14) which is where the recruiting emphasis really needs to be right now.

Why don't we just wait until November to hire him and let him run wild recruiting all summer?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2012, 10:55:16 AM »
Does the dead period advantage not apply to JHo since he is still technically employed at UI?

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2012, 10:57:40 AM »
Does the dead period advantage not apply to JHo since he is still technically employed at UI?
I would think not as UI has three assistants out recruiting now, right?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2012, 11:00:04 AM »

Why don't we just wait until November to hire him and let him run wild recruiting all summer?

I'd say there is a difference between wading in the grey area and going on a deep sea diving expedition there. What we are doing now is completely justifiable ie. working out contract details, etc.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2012, 11:00:29 AM »
I would think not as UI has three assistants out recruiting now, right?

yeah, or we can have him run up a bunch of violations while still at UI and bail at the last moment before the entire ship explodes and sinks to the bottom of lake champlain or whatever. 

Offline Creepy Cat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2012, 11:04:42 AM »
Nobody was getting hired this week anyway with our athletic director on a week long vacation where he apparently was going to turn his cellphone off.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2012, 11:05:40 AM »
Nobody was getting hired this week anyway with our athletic director on a week long vacation where he apparently was going to turn his cellphone off.

Weiser hunted, what does jc do?

Offline GodBamNightmare

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2012, 11:06:51 AM »

Howard has 2 years left on his contract at Illinois for $200k, $210k - he wants most of the $$ plus pride and his future relationship with Illinois is on the line.  It seems oscar wants his staff assembled by the end of the week and the idea is to nudge Howard to resolve the situation quickly.  Howard talks to Weber a few times each day.  Howard knows what Weber & KSU has to offer, he either wants to be on board or he doesn't.  It appears that any further delay by Howard is negative for KSU and an indication that he is looking for a "better opportunity."   A bird in the hand blah blah.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2012, 11:07:09 AM »

Weiser hunted, what does jc do?

take emergency last minute cruises