Author Topic: They think we'll be good  (Read 13403 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: They think we'll be good
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2012, 10:59:42 AM »
i'd rather have will at the 1 than the 2, so ya, there's that.  assuming art leaves.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2012, 11:01:46 AM »
i'd rather have will at the 1 than the 2, so ya, there's that.  assuming art leaves.

you can move will, marty, jeremy around between the 1 & 2 but I got news for you...there's not a winning combination in there no matter how many times you shuffle them around.

Offline econocat

• Fan
  • The father of Economics
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2012, 11:04:27 AM »
fwiw, I don't think we'll be very good if Angel leaves (and we don't get a last second ready to start PG by some miracle).  you think a team with Will Spradling running point for an entire season will be worth a crap?

This  :bang:
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone." — John Maynard Keynes

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2012, 11:11:41 AM »
If angel is gone, I would let Marty run point and just go nuts. It probably wouldn't work great, but would be entertaining and I think it gives the most upside

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2012, 11:18:42 AM »
and the best part is all the Illini posters have said one of oscar's biggest problem at UI was he could never find the pg to make his motion offense go after Dee Brown left.   Angel is the most important piece for Weber's future

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
They think we'll be good
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2012, 11:45:30 AM »

you can move will, marty, jeremy around between the 1 & 2 but I got news for you...there's not a winning combination in there no matter how many times you shuffle them around.

Ok Chicken little

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: They think we'll be good
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2012, 11:54:28 AM »

i think you just responded without reading one single word of my post.

No, I read your post.  You think BW will play out exactly how it did at Illinois.  Inherits somebody else's players, achieves initial success, slowly fades into mediocrity. 

Amiright?

yeah. that was exactly my point.

i was just confused when your response had something to do with him inheriting 3* players and then judging him moving forward based on whether or not he would be able to continue it, when the fact of the matter is that weber had 4* players at illinois and was still 11 games under .500 in conference play during his last six years there. it just seemed like a weird thing to post in the first place and then even weirder to quote me and then post it since it had absolutely nothing to do with the post that you were quoting.

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2012, 11:58:14 AM »
My understanding is that all the players are staying. I suppose things could change, but as of now they are all staying.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2012, 11:59:59 AM »
If they all stay I will cheer on and support this team because I love these guys.

I will probably make fun of oscar alot, too.

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2012, 12:03:29 PM »

No, I read your post.  You think BW will play out exactly how it did at Illinois.  Inherits somebody else's players, achieves initial success, slowly fades into mediocrity. 

Amiright?

i was just confused when your response had something to do with him inheriting 3* players and then judging him moving forward based on whether or not he would be able to continue it, when the fact of the matter is that weber had 4* players at illinois and was still 11 games under .500 in conference play during his last six years there. it just seemed like a weird thing to post in the first place and then even weirder to quote me and then post it since it had absolutely nothing to do with the post that you were quoting.

6 of those 11 games under .500 were this year... with 6 freshmen, just sayin.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2012, 12:10:09 PM »
My understanding is that all the players are staying. I suppose things could change, but as of now they are all staying.

great news cc.  I selfishly didn't want to lose Angel.

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2012, 12:15:04 PM »

Well see now that Undy is gone  :cry:

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2012, 12:22:12 PM »

This picture has 2 completely likeable persons in it.  It accually makes me smile. 

You might even call them

adorable.   :surprised:

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2012, 12:24:49 PM »

:pbj:
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2012, 12:26:56 PM »

Amiright?

and 80% of the roster was comprised of small forwards. what's your point?

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2012, 12:29:33 PM »

Amiright?

and 80% of the roster was comprised of small forwards. what's your point?

I had no point, hence the "just sayin"

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: They think we'll be good
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2012, 12:30:26 PM »

Amiright?

Well then as long as we don't hire the bad person who should be keeping a balanced roster, we should be ok

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2012, 12:33:07 PM »
Any of those Illinois freshman thinking about following their dear leader to Manhattan?
:adios:

Offline naturalselection

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2012, 12:36:42 PM »
Any of those Illinois freshman thinking about following their dear leader to Manhattan?

Aint no seats!   :woot:   :pbj:

Offline ZmoneyKSU

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2012, 12:52:56 PM »
fwiw, I don't think we'll be very good if Angel leaves (and we don't get a last second ready to start PG by some miracle).  you think a team with Will Spradling running point for an entire season will be worth a crap?

this is a good point you sonofabitch.

Awe c'mon, Spradling is gonna turn into Steve Blake now that Frank is gone.  He'll be all happy playing his 35 minutes a game, instead of all grumpy playing 35 minutes a game.  So that means he'll be good now, right? RIGHT????

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2012, 01:03:43 PM »

6 years from now we will suck be strapped with a crap roster and have to start over.

Define crap.  3* marginal top 150 players? 

Aside from McGruder we don't have any current players who are much better than average 3* talent.  Aside from Upshaw (who I give Frank a ton of credit for), we haven't successfully recruited any elite talent post-dalonte.  It is what it is.  Frank's recruiting had dropped of quite significantly. 

So, the question in my mind is whether BW will be able to sustain marginal, 3* top 150 talent at K-State.

You are putting way too much stock in recruiting rankings. They should help set expectations, but they are not more important than actual college experience. Inheriting a team featuring McGruder and JO as seniors is huge. McGruder is a hell of a college player, and JO is a potential pro. I think oscar Weber can recruit well enough to build teams like this. I just think we will go to the CBI and NIT during the building process and we will have no success until he gets his tournament team once every 4 or 5 years. That is simply not good enough when we just ran off a coach who still goes to the tournament in rebuilding years.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2012, 01:03:56 PM »

What's your point, ultimately?  Bad coach or a bad recruiter?  I guess I thought your point was bad recruiter.  i.e., he'll win with Frank's players like he did with Self's players, but he'll suck with his own players just like he did at Illini.  That's why I raise the argument about Frank's 3* players.  If he can recruit average talent, we're pretty much in the same spot as with Martin.  That's my point. 

Weber isn't a bad coach.  He's not an elite coach either.  Just like Frank.

But, to say he will take our program back to the Asbury/Woolridge era is one of the more Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) goEMAW talking points.

The Negative:  Weber had 2 shitty seasons at Illinois.  no question.  rough ridin' terrible.  He was 5-13 (9th) (10 scholarship players/5 freshmen), 6-12 (9th) (6 freshmen). 

The Positive:  Taken 2 different schools to NCAA, 3 sweet 16s, 1 national title appearance.  Won 4 Conference Championships (2 @S.Ill., 2 @ Ill.).  He's got a .670 career winning record.   

btw, his 2011 recruiting class had 6 top 100 guys.  one could make the argument that the 2012 season was bad because these guys were freshmen. 

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2012, 01:12:32 PM »
I think oscar Weber can recruit well enough to build teams like this. I just think we will go to the CBI and NIT during the building process and we will have no success until he gets his tournament team once every 4 or 5 years.

In eleven seasons, 2001-2012, Weber went to 8 NCAA tourneys, including 3 sweet 16s and a National Championship.  1 NIT.  2 no post-season. 

So, I guess your prediction has no basis in fact. 

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2012, 01:19:42 PM »
I think oscar Weber can recruit well enough to build teams like this. I just think we will go to the CBI and NIT during the building process and we will have no success until he gets his tournament team once every 4 or 5 years.

In eleven seasons, 2001-2012, Weber went to 8 NCAA tourneys, including 3 sweet 16s and a National Championship.  1 NIT.  2 no post-season. 

So, I guess your prediction has no basis in fact.

First of all, whatever he did at Southern Illinois is irrelevant. It takes a different level of talent to make the tournament in the Valley than it does the Big 10 or Big 12. He took Illinois to the Sweet 16 and the National Championship with the 5 NBA players he inherited from Bill Self. He made the tournament 2 times in the 5 years after Self's players were out of the system, and he didn't even qualify for the NIT in his last year.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2012, 01:23:52 PM »

There IS a chance he misunderstood Angel.  Let Sys ask him, he speaks the language.