Author Topic: Is this hire better or worse than Charlie Wies?  (Read 4725 times)

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Is this hire better or worse than Charlie Wies?
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2012, 04:30:55 PM »
The question should be Is this a worse hire than Turner Gill?

The answer is still yes

Offline Barry McCockner

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2012, 04:30:55 PM »
Funny how things are relative...I would be so happy with Underwood at this point

I said that this morning and stand by it.  Hell, now I'm just hoping BW can talk him in to staying on so we at least have a chance in ell of keeping some current players.
"WELL BARYY YOU GOTTA DO WHAT YOU DO BECUZ IF YOU DONT DO IT, THEN WHO WILL - YOU GOTTA HAVE HART AND DATERMANASHIN AND FLOURIDE IN YOUR SYSTEM TO BE A TRUE CHAMPION" - The Ed

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2012, 04:38:58 PM »
Way worse.

_FAN is being a sunshine pumper.

1st, I'm really not counting his first few successful years with Self's talent.

I just want to know why he lost his team this year.

The guy beat Ohio State and Mich State this year and had his team at 15-3 in early January and then they fell apart.

Last year and 09 he had solid teams. His 2011 recruiting class was really good.

His program definately declined after his first couple years, but it didn't decline at the level Weis' did. JMHO.

NOT NOW I'M MELTING DOWN

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2012, 04:43:17 PM »

The answer is still yes

Asked and answered Abe

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2012, 04:46:16 PM »
Way worse.

The guy beat Ohio State and Mich State this year and had his team at 15-3 in early January and then they fell apart.

His program definately declined after his first couple years, but it didn't decline at the level Weis' did. JMHO.

NOT NOW I'M MELTING DOWN

Look, I think Currie made mistakes, giagantic mistakes, in the past month. Losing Frank and replacing him with Weber are both terrible. And at the point K-State basketball is in, I agree that we could've done better. I was 100% behind hiring Doug Gottlieb.

But I can't hate K-State, I just can't. I will support K-State basketball and the players we currently have, therefore I will hope Weber does well. I don't have it in me to hope for him (and therefore K-State) to fail.

So at this point I'm looking at what he has done and what went wrong at Illinois. And then what can I be hopeful for as a K-State basketball fan. If he keeps most of our players and brings in decent ones of his own, we'll be a decent team next year, probably and NCAA tournament team.

Offline 101cat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2012, 04:47:31 PM »
You won't have to "hope" for Weber to fail. He's a self-starter; he doesn't need your support to fail. Weber will excel at failing in Manhattan.
"Ask my source? My source said you're phoning in your resignation, and taking a job in South Carolina. Any comment, bad person?"

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2012, 04:48:22 PM »

The answer is still yes

Asked and answered Abe

I'm so angry I can't read threads, I'm just replying in full on luke mode

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2012, 04:48:57 PM »
If Currie is so focused on being fiscally responsible, I have to assume he won't even put a large picture of Weber up in the Practice Facility

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2012, 04:49:38 PM »
Way worse.

NOT NOW I'M MELTING DOWN

Look, I think Currie made mistakes, giagantic mistakes, in the past month. Losing Frank and replacing him with Weber are both terrible. And at the point K-State basketball is in, I agree that we could've done better. I was 100% behind hiring Doug Gottlieb.

But I can't hate K-State, I just can't. I will support K-State basketball and the players we currently have, therefore I will hope Weber does well. I don't have it in me to hope for him (and therefore K-State) to fail.

So at this point I'm looking at what he has done and what went wrong at Illinois. And then what can I be hopeful for as a K-State basketball fan. If he keeps most of our players and brings in decent ones of his own, we'll be a decent team next year, probably and NCAA tournament team.

Thanks for getting rid of the sig, it was bumming me out all day.

I agree with you totally.  I was hoping for something in the press conference to make me feel better, but he and Currie bombed it in the worst way.  Despite all that I will be there on opening day in 7 months.

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2012, 04:53:52 PM »
Way worse.

NOT NOW I'M MELTING DOWN

I will not bring myself to cheer against K-State basketball. However, I think hiring oscar Weber is on par with KU hiring Charlie Weis. What makes it a "way worse" hire for us is that we shouldn't be hiring a coach that was fired for losing.

For KU, they are at the point where hiring a "loser" was a really good situation for them, but in my mind, our basketball program is/was in a position to make a better hire, not a "loser"

*when I say loser I mean someone fired for sucking, not necessarily a losing record etc.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2012, 04:54:02 PM »
If Currie is so focused on being fiscally responsible, I have to assume he won't even put a large picture of Weber up in the Practice Facility

Weber shouldn't even get an office in the practice facility. What has he done to earn that? Makes me sick.

Offline Barry McCockner

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2012, 04:55:19 PM »

The answer is still yes

This.  Much more similar to Mangino-Gill.  But even then, it's worse.  At least Gill hadn't just gotten fired.  He was at a crap program and there was at least a CHANCE he would succeed.  Weber is a proven failure.
"WELL BARYY YOU GOTTA DO WHAT YOU DO BECUZ IF YOU DONT DO IT, THEN WHO WILL - YOU GOTTA HAVE HART AND DATERMANASHIN AND FLOURIDE IN YOUR SYSTEM TO BE A TRUE CHAMPION" - The Ed

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2012, 04:55:25 PM »

:thumbs:

i'm with _FAN

Offline Barry McCockner

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2012, 04:56:33 PM »

i'm with _FAN

Well, you can hope in one hand and crap in the other...

Offline wazucat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2012, 05:04:12 PM »

A man should not want to cry over such trivial things as the hiring of a college basketball coach, but I love KSU so much I just can't stand the opportunities we forfeited with this horrible choice.  Hiring Wiess is genius in comparison. Where is the home run hire that could have made some small amends for Franking Frank.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 06:51:36 PM by wazucat »

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2012, 05:08:23 PM »

That's like saying you can't hate Germany so want Hitler to succeed. I'm going to force you to march through the concentration camp that is K-State basketball after this all comes crashing down.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Is this hire better or worse than Charlie Wies?
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2012, 05:21:24 PM »

That's like saying you can't hate Germany so want Hitler to succeed. I'm going to force you to march through the concentration camp that is K-State basketball after this all comes crashing down.

That's hyperbole at its best.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2012, 06:49:16 PM »

i'm with _FAN

I always support our players and want them to do well.  But I can't say I hope Weber finishes his contract.  Is that a contradiction?