Author Topic: oscar WEBER IS A rough ridin' LOSER WHO CAN'T RECRUIT AND IS SOCIALLY AWKWARD  (Read 115244 times)

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
"i can't prove it with facts right now, but trust me in a year you'll get it"

i'm not even a true #bid'er and i left that article all full of wtf

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
This part.  eff.

But the point remains in the long-term — with most of the same nucleus, K-State went from 58th in offense Martin’s last year to 15th in Weber’s first year — as does a more critical fact:

K-State basketball is in better hands with Weber than it was with Martin, which means it’s in better hands with Weber than it’s been since Lon Kruger.

Again, this will be more understood in a year than it is now, and even more understood five years after that.
K-State built a beautiful, $18 million practice facility, which will help take the edge off the program’s biggest shortcoming.

“It’s not the easiest place to recruit to,” Weber says. “I think everyone knows that.”

What's the fact?  That we're better off because Weber had K-State build him a practice facility that will make him recruit at a level K-State's never seen before?
lol wut

I just watched a pro se defendant argue a motion using similar logic skills.  She was promptly sanctioned $500.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Some of the positive signs that are pointed out in there are decent, but its too early for articles like this. I get the points, but there isn't enough evidence yet to say that oscar will be a long term success here yet. Seems pretty apparent Mellinger a) didn't like Frank and b) likes oscar and took the opportunity to take some shots at Frank. Pretty clear that Mellinger's perception was that Frank was about Frank, but I expected with any sustained success (its hard to call a year and a half sustained) we'd see plenty of "oscar really wants to be here" columns come popping up. Mellinger was just the first to follow the formula.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
One things for sure. In the past two years. oscar is a winner and Frank is a loser.  :Wha:

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
Some of the positive signs that are pointed out in there are decent, but its too early for articles like this. I get the points, but there isn't enough evidence yet to say that oscar will be a long term success here yet. Seems pretty apparent Mellinger a) didn't like Frank and b) likes oscar and took the opportunity to take some shots at Frank. Pretty clear that Mellinger's perception was that Frank was about Frank, but I expected with any sustained success (its hard to call a year and a half sustained) we'd see plenty of "oscar really wants to be here" columns come popping up. Mellinger was just the first to follow the formula.

yes, definitely feels too early. i mean, if OU doesn't suck down the stretch and beats us Tuesday, does he write this article?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
yes, definitely feels too early. i mean, if OU doesn't suck down the stretch and beats us Tuesday, does he write this article?

Probably not.

But honestly I don't like your "OU doesn't suck down the stretch" take too much. I mean, our guys made some pretty big shots/plays to win that game and played some defense too.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
In terms of tenure, about this point in his time at K-State Ron Prince had just beat Texas for a 2nd time and everyone was pretty excited about our coach.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
But honestly I don't like your "OU doesn't suck down the stretch" take too much. I mean, our guys made some pretty big shots/plays to win that game and played some defense too.

you're right, wasn't a proper way of describing what happened.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
In terms of tenure, about this point in his time at K-State Ron Prince had just beat Texas for a 2nd time and everyone was pretty excited about our coach.
:dubious: He never won the conference tho. Also, he's taking a team of Freshman nobody's to the dance after a crap fest start. That's rough ridin' impressive

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
:dubious: He never won the conference tho. Also, he's taking a team of Freshman nobody's to the dance after a crap fest start. That's rough ridin' impressive

I don't think oscar = RP by any means. I'm just agreeing with everyone's point that concluding the outcome of his time here is way premature.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
That's fair. I didn't grow up during K-state's run as a dominate program and Final Four runs. My expectations for our hobby sport is to have a team in the tourney every year. I'm not really torn on the outcome, I just want to be excited when March comes and I see my school on the bracket. Nothing more, nothing less. If oscar can deliver this, I'm all rough ridin' hands on deck.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
That's fair. I didn't grow up during K-state's run as a dominate program and Final Four runs. My expectations for our hobby sport is to have a team in the tourney every year. I'm not really torn on the outcome, I just want to be excited when March comes and I see my school on the bracket. Nothing more, nothing less. If oscar can deliver this, I'm all rough ridin' hands on deck.

Dream bigger. I want tourney runs. The 2010 tourney can not be overstated how much fun it was as a K State fan.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Dream bigger. I want tourney runs. The 2010 tourney can not be overstated how much fun it was as a K State fan.
I know. That was an awesome run and fun. I'm just thinking realistically. Whether some want to admit it or not, we do have limitations when it comes to the recruiting game.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
i certainly have more consistent fun watching a KSU FB game but i don't think a single KSU FB game in my lifetime as a KSU fan has ever surpassed the Xavier game

Offline Deez Nutz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
In case anyone needs clarifying, Sam Mellinger went to journalism school at KU.  He takes a lot of subtle jabs at KSU not just in this article but in past columns too.  The part about it being "decades" of bad coaching hires and "decades" of lacking stable success is certainly overstating it.  We were only really "bad" for one decade ('97 to '06) and mediocre in the six seasons prior to that ('91 to '96) making 2 NCAAs and 2 NITs during that time.  I don't really lump Altman in with the two losers that came after him.  He has proven himself to be a good coach over time.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
In case anyone needs clarifying, Sam Mellinger went to journalism school at KU.  He takes a lot of subtle jabs at KSU not just in this article but in past columns too.  The part about it being "decades" of bad coaching hires and "decades" of lacking stable success is certainly overstating it.  We were only really "bad" for one decade ('97 to '06) and mediocre in the six seasons prior to that ('91 to '96) making 2 NCAAs and 2 NITs during that time.  I don't really lump Altman in with the two losers that came after him.  He has proven himself to be a good coach over time.

Altman, Asbury, and Wooldridge combined went 80-164 in conference play with little difference between them.

Altman was 19-37 (.339), Asbury was 29-36 (.315), and Wooly was 32-64 (.328).

No matter how you spin it, that was a bad 16 years of basketball even if Altman and Asbury scratched out a few postseason appearances.

Offline Deez Nutz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Altman, Asbury, and Wooldridge combined went 80-164 in conference play with little difference between them.

No matter how you spin it, that was a bad 16 years of basketball even if Altman and Asbury scratched out a few postseason appearances.

I suppose that is a fair way of looking at it although 16 years still does not equal "decades" as Mellinger puts it. 

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile

Fact: Last year was the first time in 24 seasons as a head coach that Altman made it past the first weekend of the NCAAs... He's very overrated IMO.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
In case anyone needs clarifying, Sam Mellinger went to journalism school at KU. 
I believe Mellinger grew up in Lawrence as well so that vast differences created by the 88 miles between KU and KSU have been ingrained for a long time.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Whether some want to admit it or not, we do have limitations when it comes to the recruiting game.

So what? Its been pointed out in this blog numerous times that many programs have recruiting challenges. We should still strive as a program for greatness. Final Fours should be our goal.

What drives me bananas is this logic:
"The Chiefs were 2-14 last year, I'm just glad that they are competitive now"
"The Royals lost 100 games 4 straight years, I'm just glad we are not the joke of baseball anymore"
"K-State Football was the worst program in the nation in 1989, keep that in mind when you think things are bad"
"We had a horrible 2 decade stretch in hoops, so I just want good teams that can be in the tourney, nothing more nothing less."

I dunno, maybe I'm straw manning right now, but I get tired of the "at least we're not as historically bad as we once were" mind set of a fanbase. I want my teams to strive for championships, even if they get no where close, that is still the goal.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
i certainly have more consistent fun watching a KSU FB game but i don't think a single KSU FB game in my lifetime as a KSU fan has ever surpassed the Xavier game

I wish i was on twitter back then. :O
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Whether some want to admit it or not, we do have limitations when it comes to the recruiting game.

Not relative to our peers in conference which I consider to be everyone but KU and UT.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
While I agree it's way too early to call Weber a great hire due to sustain success, I think everyone would agree that outside of a major Foster injury we expected this season to be our worst season for the next 4 years. We have Hurt and Edwards for the next two, and then this class of freshman will be seniors after that. So if we can compete for a Big 12 title and win a tournament game with this team, it seems pretty obvious that oscar's ceiling is way higher than we first thought. No one even expected us to make the tournament going into the season, and with this roster and Frank coaching I still would not have expected to make the NCAA torn-a-ment. So it kind of makes sense why Mellinger is writing this poorly written article now, right?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
While I agree it's way too early to call Weber a great hire due to sustain success, I think everyone would agree that outside of a major Foster injury we expected this season to be our worst season for the next 4 years. We have Hurt and Edwards for the next two, and then this class of freshman will be seniors after that. So if we can compete for a Big 12 title and win a tournament game with this team, it seems pretty obvious that oscar's ceiling is way higher than we first thought. No one even expected us to make the tournament going into the season, and with this roster and Frank coaching I still would not have expected to make the NCAA torn-a-ment. So it kind of makes sense why Mellinger is writing this poorly written article now, right?

Well said.

And obviously Mellinger did his job, plenty of K-Staters are reading it (and posting it on facebook) and talking about it.

Offline JohnCurrie is Weird/Gross

• Combo-Fan
  • Miss You Angel
    • View Profile
The "he couldn't recruit the type of players he wanted at Illinois" anecdote is rough ridin' ridiculous. I would probably wait to write this article until Illinois was done paying him 1.3 mil to stay away from their basketball team and facilities.