Author Topic: Swolecats, Fitcats, Thincats, Cardiocats, even Yogacats  (Read 328682 times)

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Fitness Questions!
« Reply #375 on: October 16, 2012, 03:00:35 PM »
Never do a diet with a brand name on it. They're just trying to get you to buy stuff.

I understand.  However, if it works I am interested.

Sure, but don't trust them saying it works. If you have some friends that say it works, that's different.

From looking at the workout plan, it appears that the circuit training would really help to burn fat.  Also, the diet just seems to be a low carb/fat plan.  I know it is a ploy to sell supplements, but I don't mind that if they really help shed the lbs in conjunction with the exercise plan.
@mikec2w

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 16, 2012, 03:07:49 PM »
So you're going to low carb diet and circuit train, and you think you still need to take a supplement to lose weight?

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 16, 2012, 03:54:26 PM »
So you're going to low carb diet and circuit train, and you think you still need to take a supplement to lose weight?

If they help I would.  Also, I'm not exactly a youngster anymore.  I can use all the help I can get.
@mikec2w

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 16, 2012, 03:57:21 PM »
going high intensity and low carb does not sound like a wise long term move..

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 16, 2012, 03:59:54 PM »
going high intensity and low carb does not sound like a wise long term move..

I don't believe that it is a long term plan.  The initial phase is 21 days. After that you gradually phase "good" carbs back in.  It sounds like you can cycle back into the 21 day phase to keep cutting BF.
@mikec2w

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 16, 2012, 04:04:05 PM »
Count calories and do high intensity weights/intervals. 

Don't start something you have to change again.  Start something you will just continue to do once you are in maintenance mode.  Also, simply counting calories means you get to still eat stuff you would have to leave alone on diet plans.  Closer to real life.  Will be easier to maintain.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 16, 2012, 05:43:54 PM »
Low carb is pretty hard to maintain over the long haul unless you are a recluse who doesn't enjoy getting PAK'd once in awhile.

If you want to go with a plan of sorts, try out Weight Watchers. I've been doing the online version of that and had great results, and I don't have to restrict what I eat...just how much of it.

Also I haven't used any supplements other than fish oil capsules.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 16, 2012, 06:00:10 PM »
Not drinking to excess so much is pretty stupid way to drop weight but it's also kind of effective.

Bittersweet.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 16, 2012, 06:07:44 PM »
Not drinking to excess so much is pretty stupid way to drop weight but it's also kind of effective.

Bittersweet.

That is the hardest part for me.  I absolutely love good beer.  Drinking lots of it combined with quitting tobacco has taken its toll on my waistline over the last 10 months.  Time to make a change.
@mikec2w

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 17, 2012, 01:43:26 AM »
Sled simulation trick. Get on a treadmill.  do not turn it on. Push against handles at front of belt and run. Treat it like a sled.  Works pretty dece. Note: this may eff up treadmills. I am not really sure.
just pick the son of a bitch up and lug it around the gym

When he's done with that he can pick the smith machine up like a yoke and carry it around too.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 17, 2012, 06:51:44 AM »

Bittersweet.

That is the hardest part for me.  I absolutely love good beer.  Drinking lots of it combined with quitting tobacco has taken its toll on my waistline over the last 10 months.  Time to make a change.
I've been using Miller 64 to kill my beer cravings. It sucks, but do what ya gotta do.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 17, 2012, 06:52:24 AM »

Bittersweet.

I've been using Miller 64 to kill my beer cravings. It sucks, but do what ya gotta do.

:sdeek:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 17, 2012, 09:49:36 AM »
Sled simulation trick. Get on a treadmill.  do not turn it on. Push against handles at front of belt and run. Treat it like a sled.  Works pretty dece. Note: this may eff up treadmills. I am not really sure.

When he's done with that he can pick the smith machine up like a yoke and carry it around too.

You guys realize that I am not talking about moving a treadmill around, right?  Just running on it while it is off and using the resistance of the motor(while off).

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 17, 2012, 10:02:49 AM »

You guys realize that I am not talking about moving a treadmill around, right?  Just running on it while it is off and using the resistance of the motor(while off).

Is that before or after you get in 30-45 minutes of the waist shaker machine?  Jack LaLanne called and he wants you to help him pull a boat with your mouth when you're done with your workout.  OMG. :lol:
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 17, 2012, 10:48:56 AM »
Count calories and do high intensity weights/intervals. 

Don't start something you have to change again.  Start something you will just continue to do once you are in maintenance mode.  Also, simply counting calories means you get to still eat stuff you would have to leave alone on diet plans.  Closer to real life.  Will be easier to maintain.

+1.  I lost 20 lbs over the summer doing this.  Use myfitnesspal or something similar to count your calories.  Could still eat/drink what I really wanted just had to control portions and/or exercise more to make up for it.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Fitness Questions!
« Reply #390 on: October 17, 2012, 11:20:49 AM »
I enjoy when people who are out of shape and/or not muscular say they don't want to get too bulky.  Like they could just accidentally end up jacked if they don't pay attention.  Outside of steroids, most men couldn't get abnormally muscled no matter how hard they tried.  Genetics and age generally prohibit it.

I should have worded differently.  I'm decently strong and even after years of non-excercise have a decent amount of muscle.  I basically just want to maintain strength through and after the fat loss. If I get bigger muscles, so be it, I just dont want to get puny or ogrish. 

I think the main thing is calories burned vs calories eaten. 

Also, yes, I should do core stuff and squats and deadlifts. I'm getting around to it.
Well, weight lifting burns more calories than cardio

The best calorie burned per minute exercise is easily sprints. Actually, it's pushing a sled, but those are hard to come by. Then high rep, big movement lifts (power clean, dead lift, squat). The jogging, ellipticalling, etc.

You could get a wheel barrow fill it full of dirt and push it around, that would be similar to pushing a sled
I'm purple down

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 27, 2012, 11:34:59 AM »
Anyone ever loudly complain the the gym counter lady "if you don't get heavier dumbbells in here I'll bring my own!"

Just did
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 12:12:18 PM by Limestone »

Offline FuzzyWuzzy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 27, 2012, 11:48:17 AM »
Make me a beginner workout plan for a 32 year old guy who can do 20 pushups who refuses to go to the beefcake free weight area of my gym but wants to get studlier.

http://toughmudder.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/mudderling-boot-camp.pdf

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Fitness Questions!
« Reply #393 on: October 27, 2012, 12:08:06 PM »
lots of dudes at my Y do body pump. Thoughts?

Thanks for the thoughts, you guys. I tried it, and it was probably the most difficult leg workout I've ever done. I'm sure it will get easier, but man that first one was tough. The upper body isn't quite as intense, but I imagine that adding weight would make it close.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 04, 2012, 01:48:35 PM »
http://www.wired.com/playbook/2012/11/kohler-effect/

Kansas State University is basically the world's go-to source for everything.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 05, 2012, 02:10:28 AM »

Bittersweet.

I've been using whiskey and vodka.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline kstate16

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 17, 2013, 12:50:08 PM »

In HS I thought I was really out of shape because of my heavy breathing during exercise (now days I am actually out of shape) until I went to the doctor to find out if I had something wrong with me. They did a few tests and diagnosed me with exercise induced asthma. Basically, once I start exercising my lungs are only able to hold about 60% of their capacity when I'm not working out. A quick hit inhaler brings me up to about 80%. It's an excellent excuse for being out of shape aside from the fact that inhalers are pretty dorky looking.

I have the same thing. In high school, running sprints in football would absolutely kill me.  However, during wrestling season I never had a problem because it was more muscle fatigue than anything.  Nowadays, I still suck wind in basketball and soccer pick up games and its kind of embarrassing, even though I know for a fact I work out more than any one of my friends. 

I totally agree with the power lifting suggestions here, but most gyms I've been to don't have platforms for them.  Should I just go out in the open in the middle of the gym and do a power clean? Seems like I would get yelled at by gym nazis.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 17, 2013, 01:23:07 PM »

In HS I thought I was really out of shape because of my heavy breathing during exercise (now days I am actually out of shape) until I went to the doctor to find out if I had something wrong with me. They did a few tests and diagnosed me with exercise induced asthma. Basically, once I start exercising my lungs are only able to hold about 60% of their capacity when I'm not working out. A quick hit inhaler brings me up to about 80%. It's an excellent excuse for being out of shape aside from the fact that inhalers are pretty dorky looking.

I have the same thing. In high school, running sprints in football would absolutely kill me.  However, during wrestling season I never had a problem because it was more muscle fatigue than anything.  Nowadays, I still suck wind in basketball and soccer pick up games and its kind of embarrassing, even though I know for a fact I work out more than any one of my friends. 

I totally agree with the power lifting suggestions here, but most gyms I've been to don't have platforms for them.  Should I just go out in the open in the middle of the gym and do a power clean? Seems like I would get yelled at by gym nazis.

Does your gym have weights?  If so, yes, that is exactly what you should do.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 17, 2013, 01:54:03 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliotibial_band_syndrome

Has anyone had this problem?  I had to cut my run short last weekend.  I'm doing the foam roller and a few other exercises but haven't really tested it again yet.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 17, 2013, 02:27:08 PM »
Can't weight to get back into the gym and toss some fuckin' weight around.  Been  :drink: :bwpopcorn: :cheers: :popcorn: tons and not pumping iron at all over my extended holiday.  Prob gonna do at least 3 cycles too.  Barry Bonds up in this bitch.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.