Author Topic: Swolecats, Fitcats, Thincats, Cardiocats, even Yogacats  (Read 327900 times)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: Swolecats, Fitcats, Thincats, Cardiocats, even Yogacats
« Reply #2950 on: February 08, 2017, 03:48:14 PM »
started a weight loss program this week.  normally its like ~$30 a month but we get it through work for free.  the whole program is based on when and how you eat and not what you eat.  idk why i didnt found this thing, all the concepts are so easy it makes sense.  its also backed by more than just counting carbs and actual science so i'm actually going to see it through.
"when" you eat has jack crap to do with anything.  if you're trying to lose weight, it's always gonna be calories in calories out.  everything else is noise.

and lol at your dismissal of keto (i.e. "counting carbs") as not backed by science.

Cal in / cal out has been debunked. 

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: February 08, 2017, 03:56:56 PM »
Hey dumbasses. The only thing that matters as far as weight loss is calories. Stop being dumbasses and excercise a bit and eat less calories than your daily maintenance number. I don't give a eff if you eat Taco Bell for every meal. As long as it is less calories than your maintenance number you will lose weight. Quit being dumb fatasses.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: February 08, 2017, 04:25:54 PM »
started a weight loss program this week.  normally its like ~$30 a month but we get it through work for free.  the whole program is based on when and how you eat and not what you eat.  idk why i didnt found this thing, all the concepts are so easy it makes sense.  its also backed by more than just counting carbs and actual science so i'm actually going to see it through.
"when" you eat has jack crap to do with anything.  if you're trying to lose weight, it's always gonna be calories in calories out.  everything else is noise.

and lol at your dismissal of keto (i.e. "counting carbs") as not backed by science.

Cal in / cal out has been debunked.
link?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: February 08, 2017, 04:38:23 PM »
There are tons, research for yourself.  Like, I'm not disagreeing with the first law of thermodynamics.  Just that it's possible to burn more or less calories with the same routine based on what and when you eat.  Also, its possible not all calories consumed are made available to the body, some are crap out. 

Just look at the ridiculousness of the "calorie."  Derived by burning food with fire.  Like our stomachs are wood stoves or something. 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: February 08, 2017, 04:52:01 PM »
There are tons, research for yourself.  Like, I'm not disagreeing with the first law of thermodynamics.  Just that it's possible to burn more or less calories with the same routine based on what and when you eat.  Also, its possible not all calories consumed are made available to the body, some are crap out. 

Just look at the ridiculousness of the "calorie."  Derived by burning food with fire.  Like our stomachs are wood stoves or something.
"when" you eat has nothing to do with crap. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #2955 on: February 08, 2017, 05:01:25 PM »
 :th_twocents:

I love how all these fatsos go, I can't eat 9 pizzas or I'll be even more of a fatass, but they don't believe that the opposite is true.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: February 08, 2017, 05:14:21 PM »

Yes it does. 

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: February 08, 2017, 05:30:37 PM »

Yes it does.

True. If you eat everything between 3:26pm and 4:12pm it doesn't count. Can't believe people don't know that.

The Big Train

« Reply #2958 on: February 08, 2017, 05:32:52 PM »
I guess when you have done every diet known to man you think you become an expert.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: February 08, 2017, 06:52:04 PM »
who is claiming to have done every diet known to man?  i've done two diets: strictly CICO, and keto. it doesn't take a genius to figure out why either of these work.

i prefer keto, but i recognize that the reason you lose weight on keto isn't because you're eating high fat foods -- it's because you're taking in less calories.  it's just a modified version of CICO and (like any other diet) it doesn't work to lose weight if you eat above maintenance. 

regarding this rubbish about eating at certain times or frequencies:

http://www.foodinsight.org/what-really-impacts-metabolism-myths
https://medlineplus.gov/ency/patientinstructions/000893.htm

If you can link to anything contradicting those articles, by all means, share.  If I'm wrong I'd like to know.

Like I said earlier, if what you're doing works for you, power to you.  If eating 8 meals a day causes you to take in fewer calories, then by God, do it.  If eating with a small fork helps, great.  But at the end of the day, what works is taking in relatively fewer calories than you expend. 

I'd love to hear about whatever magical secret you guys are being so smug about though.

The Big Train

« Reply #2960 on: February 08, 2017, 07:08:55 PM »
who is claiming to have done every diet known to man?  i've done two diets: strictly CICO, and keto. it doesn't take a genius to figure out why either of these work.

i prefer keto, but i recognize that the reason you lose weight on keto isn't because you're eating high fat foods -- it's because you're taking in less calories.  it's just a modified version of CICO and (like any other diet) it doesn't work to lose weight if you eat above maintenance. 

regarding this rubbish about eating at certain times or frequencies:

http://www.foodinsight.org/what-really-impacts-metabolism-myths
https://medlineplus.gov/ency/patientinstructions/000893.htm

If you can link to anything contradicting those articles, by all means, share.  If I'm wrong I'd like to know.

Like I said earlier, if what you're doing works for you, power to you.  If eating 8 meals a day causes you to take in fewer calories, then by God, do it.  If eating with a small fork helps, great.  But at the end of the day, what works is taking in relatively fewer calories than you expend. 

I'd love to hear about whatever magical secret you guys are being so smug about though.

I already said I agree eating less calories helps you lose weight. We agree on that point.  Nothing in those articles is something this program preaches. 

It actually wants you to skip breakfast if you aren't hungry.  I don't eat a bunch of meals a day, and I don't have to eat certain foods at certain times.  You didn't get overweight overnight and you aren't going to get slim overnight either.  It's a gradually process and that's like the first thing they say.

It's more just a lifestyle change than anything and helpful tips.  I can eat whatever I want, just doing it a smarter way.

The how to eat is actually enjoying your food and taking your time to eat.  Cutting a sandwich into 4ths so it takes longer to eat, since it takes ~20 min or so before your brain realizes how much you have eaten.  Plus lots of other things to think about.

The when to eat is eating when you are actually hungry.  Don't eat breakfast just to eat breakfast.  Don't eat just because it's a certain time on the clock.  Knowing when you are truly hungry and not just bored. 

I have never done diets before because once you are done with them if you don't make a lifestyle change it's all for nothing.  Then you just gain the weight again before the next diet.  Why would I want to count calories for the rest of my life? 

I wasn't trying to be smug but after you came in all assuming you knew what I was doing I couldn't help myself.

Offline CopperBowl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: February 08, 2017, 07:19:02 PM »
Mindfulness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: February 08, 2017, 07:39:34 PM »
If cal in = cal out, just start drinking gasoline.  One gallon ought to last about two weeks.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: February 08, 2017, 07:41:25 PM »
make sure to gut 80g of whey right before bed so your muscles don't waste away while youre sleeping

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: February 08, 2017, 09:50:02 PM »
If cal in = cal out, just start drinking gasoline.  One gallon ought to last about two weeks.

I mean, it would work to lose weight if that is what you mean...

I think it is fair to say that the ONLY clinically proven method for weight loss is consuming fewer calories than your body uses.  The "when you eat" thing is clearly just a way to get you to eat fewer calories without having to count anything, which is fine. 

From what I understand, Keto (and most other diets) is similar because of how much it restricts what you eat, although I guess the difference is when you eat at a calorie deficit on Keto then your body starts consuming your fat stores more quickly than if your body was accustomed to burning carbs for energy.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: February 08, 2017, 09:57:28 PM »
How does keto restrict your calorie consumption?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: February 08, 2017, 10:30:36 PM »
It's not that the diet itself restricts your calories, but that it is easy to end up eating fewer calories because you are careful/thoughtful about what you are eating.  My point was that a lot of diets end up working this way.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: February 09, 2017, 12:38:21 AM »
i apologize for assuming, TBT.  from the "when and how" you eat, it sounded like some metabolic BS, when it's clearly just modifying habits to be CICO.  forgive me, i get weirdly passionate about this stuff.  i have no clue why.

re. keto: it doesn't inherently restrict calorie consumption -- you can certainly gain weight and be in ketosis if you're eating over maintenance.  the idea is that higher fat foods (read: meat) fill you up more than bread does -- and at fewer calories.  but with keto (and any diet, really) it just causes you to be mindful of what you eat (like Copperbowl said).  the cool added benefit of keto is that you're burning straight fat by just existing, as you have no glycogen left to burn.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: February 09, 2017, 06:19:29 AM »
I'd like to chime in and say calories in/out is a nice rule, but it should be looked at individually and allowances given for specific circumstances.  The more we learn about our body's systems the more we are finding they are interrelated.  From mental health having a direct link to how well our bodies function-- no, not that sad people eat more, but that they're are specific things happening to the metabolic process in food digestion --to understanding what the micro biomes in our GI system, it's crazy to see what new research is yielding for the individual person.  Basically your 2000 calories are not the same as my 2000 calories and it's not as simple as one person being more sedentary then the other.

Dlew this author makes note of the time of day argument with her comments on intermittent fasting.  I like the way she frames it as part of understanding what our body is doing throughout the day as part of a larger system argument.
http://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2017/01/09/secret-life-of-fat
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

The Big Train

« Reply #2969 on: February 09, 2017, 06:40:22 AM »
i apologize for assuming, TBT.  from the "when and how" you eat, it sounded like some metabolic BS, when it's clearly just modifying habits to be CICO.  forgive me, i get weirdly passionate about this stuff.  i have no clue why.

It's cool. I'm sorry for being smug. Let's just air bro-hug it out and get back to being fit. :cheers:

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2970 on: February 09, 2017, 07:46:13 AM »
Whew, for a minute there I really thought this whole keto/CICO conundrum was going to tear this blog apart.

For what it's worth, the idea of keto makes a lot of sense to me. And now that I have my macros adjusted for my body I'm starting to see the results. I'm about 80% sold at this point. I will be fully bought in if, in the coming weeks/months, I see the body fat really start melting away, but equally as important if my cravings for sugar and carbs go away. That part hadn't even come close yet. It was a co-workers birthday earlier this week and they brought cupcakes and all I could think about was how bad I wanted all of those cupcakes.

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: February 09, 2017, 10:09:18 AM »
Hey dumbasses. The only thing that matters as far as weight loss is calories. Stop being dumbasses and excercise a bit and eat less calories than your daily maintenance number. I don't give a eff if you eat Taco Bell for every meal. As long as it is less calories than your maintenance number you will lose weight. Quit being dumb fatasses.

This is absolutely false by the way.  But you just do what you do and enjoy buddy.
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: February 09, 2017, 11:43:50 AM »
I'm surprised this has not been mentioned yet, given that it came out of our own headline-making university.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: February 09, 2017, 12:20:17 PM »
I'm surprised this has not been mentioned yet, given that it came out of our own headline-making university.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

For a man to be at 24.9% body fat isn't exactly impressive. I wish that in his article he would have expanded on how he was feeling during the process. With all that sugar I would bet he probably rarely felt full, and probably felt generally sluggish and low energy but who knows.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: February 09, 2017, 01:13:56 PM »
Obviously you're not going to lose 27 pounds in two months without being overweight to begin with. This was only a study on weight loss, not other health consequences of this kind of a diet. Just wanted to debunk the debunkers ITT.