Author Topic: Swolecats, Fitcats, Thincats, Cardiocats, even Yogacats  (Read 328494 times)

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
Re: Swolieville
« Reply #1425 on: June 09, 2014, 12:56:46 PM »
Saw an interesting article regarding nutrition for either fat loss or muscle gain this weekend:

http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/mens-fitness-food-pyramid

I have counted calories for a couple years now but never paid very much attention to what those calories consisted of, other than cutting the obvious stuff like Soda and fast food as much as possible.  This article broke down the nutrition by goal type. 

The protein goal and fat goal are crazy higher than what Myfitness pal uses for weight loss.  It basically tells me that I should be eating 54% more fat and 284% more protein than what myfitnesspal says(They are only off by 2% on carbs from each other).  My concern is that even though the quantity of carbs is similar, they represent a drastically different ratio of my recommended calorie intake between these two sources.   I know there is a lot of conflicting info on the web, but this seems pretty far apart for two reputable sources. 

Thoughts?

I'm about ready to start a cutting diet for a few weeks (my first attempt at this after gaining about 18 pounds over the last 3 months trying to bulk).  One thing I've seem to read and had confirmed by a nutritionist was i should eat most of my carbs within 1.5 hours before or after a workout.  Has anyone had success with this or is it just a bunch of non-sense?

Pre, peri and post (before, during and after) workout are absolutely the most important time for carbs.  Both in terms of building muscle and not getting fat.  Peri-nutrition is a big deal nowadays in knowledgeable beefcake circles. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: June 09, 2014, 01:02:56 PM »
The idea of eating during a work out is gross and shakes can GTFOOMF.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: June 09, 2014, 01:03:47 PM »
Saw an interesting article regarding nutrition for either fat loss or muscle gain this weekend:

http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/mens-fitness-food-pyramid

I have counted calories for a couple years now but never paid very much attention to what those calories consisted of, other than cutting the obvious stuff like Soda and fast food as much as possible.  This article broke down the nutrition by goal type. 

The protein goal and fat goal are crazy higher than what Myfitness pal uses for weight loss.  It basically tells me that I should be eating 54% more fat and 284% more protein than what myfitnesspal says(They are only off by 2% on carbs from each other).  My concern is that even though the quantity of carbs is similar, they represent a drastically different ratio of my recommended calorie intake between these two sources.   I know there is a lot of conflicting info on the web, but this seems pretty far apart for two reputable sources. 

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that there is a big difference between the weight loss that apps like you seem to be using are prescribing and the weight loss that diets like the pyramid you posted are prescribing. Most "diets" are designed for overweight people who just don't want to be as overweight anymore. Forget about muscle, they just want to lose pounds. The diet that you posted is pretty basic stuff that most people use for leaning down while maintaining some sort of muscle mass. Fats are incredibly important for maintaining energy and hormone levels while you are cutting down carbs.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: June 09, 2014, 05:03:20 PM »
Alright, I am doing this.  Macros and I are going to be like Sams and McNeese St. 

Been looking at my numbers today and how in the living hell does someone eat that much protein without going over on cals without shakes?  I would prefer to not take supplements, but I just don't see how I can hit those protein numbers without them and still maintain an abundance of meal/food options so that I am not eating the same stuff every day.   

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: June 09, 2014, 05:41:46 PM »
Alright, I am doing this.  Macros and I are going to be like Sams and McNeese St. 

Been looking at my numbers today and how in the living hell does someone eat that much protein without going over on cals without shakes?  I would prefer to not take supplements, but I just don't see how I can hit those protein numbers without them and still maintain an abundance of meal/food options so that I am not eating the same stuff every day.   

Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, protein shakes, chicken, and beef will become your friends.

As an example lets say I'm aiming for 180 g of protein and its the end of the day and i'm 60 g short. Cup of greek yogurt, two scoops of protein mixed with milk and boom, 60 grams. Takes 10 minutes. You get used to it.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: June 09, 2014, 05:52:09 PM »
CNS is going to be downing 12 raw eggs mixed with spirulina all the time like a boss. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: June 09, 2014, 06:15:28 PM »
Being a super swole doctor would be awesome. You should like cut the sleeves off your lab coat.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1432 on: June 09, 2014, 06:21:49 PM »
Any of you guys deal with plantar fasciitis? It was getting better after some stretching, resting, and rolling my arch over a cold can of pop but now it's coming back. Am I going to have to get arch supports to put in every pair of shoes I own? (That's a lot.)
This is a really good resource for PF correction.

http://sock-doc.com/2011/03/205/

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: June 09, 2014, 07:14:29 PM »

Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, protein shakes, chicken, and beef will become your friends.

As an example lets say I'm aiming for 180 g of protein and its the end of the day and i'm 60 g short. Cup of greek yogurt, two scoops of protein mixed with milk and boom, 60 grams. Takes 10 minutes. You get used to it.

Some of the powders I have looked into today are around 100cal/scoop, with that, the above is like 350calories.  That is the balance I am saying seems pretty crazy in trying gain.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: June 09, 2014, 07:44:33 PM »
The idea of eating during a work out is gross and shakes can GTFOOMF.

I'm usually more focused on not vom'ing during a workout. The idea of putting even more food in my body seems absurd.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: June 09, 2014, 08:07:57 PM »

I read the p90x3 nutritional guide and for someone of my height that wants to put muscle on it said I should eat around 200g of protein a day, which is about 2.5 times the amount I normally need, just seems crazy. I basically found the same foods as benja recommended, plus eggs.

Benja did you ever start doing p90x3? You like it?
I'm purple down

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: June 09, 2014, 08:13:30 PM »
I have been hitting the cottage cheese, yogurt, chicken,  etc for sometime.  Its part of my change in counting cals the last couple yrs.   I have always exceeded the protein reccomendo on Myfitnesspal by near double, but I would have to double it again to hit the men's fitness' article reccommendo.   Doing that and staying under calories seems near impossible w/o eating almost exclusively meat for every meal.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: June 09, 2014, 09:46:04 PM »
Honestly, a lb of protein per lb of bodyweight is what freaking Arnold Schwarzenegger said he did, but I doubt anyone of us is doing any Mr. Olympia contest anytime soon. I've always had a feeling that a normal person can get by on less. Just get as close to your goal as possible but I wouldn't sweat falling a little short.

Also look into protein isolate for less cals.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: June 09, 2014, 09:47:37 PM »

I read the p90x3 nutritional guide and for someone of my height that wants to put muscle on it said I should eat around 200g of protein a day, which is about 2.5 times the amount I normally need, just seems crazy. I basically found the same foods as benja recommended, plus eggs.

Benja did you ever start doing p90x3? You like it?

I do it if I'm traveling sometimes but that's about it. I think it's pretty good though.

Offline Matt Siebrant's Left Hand

• Combo-Fan
  • I'm a Cat person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: June 09, 2014, 11:46:55 PM »
Just paid for 3 months membership to a nearby weight facility tonight

Project turn into a cologne model has begun!

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: June 09, 2014, 11:52:03 PM »

You're halfway to Fabio already. You just need to eat a couple of biscuits now.

Offline Matt Siebrant's Left Hand

• Combo-Fan
  • I'm a Cat person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: June 10, 2014, 12:03:50 AM »

You're halfway to Fabio already. You just need to eat a couple of biscuits now.

You got to risk it to get the biscuit.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: June 10, 2014, 08:40:04 AM »
Any of you guys deal with plantar fasciitis? It was getting better after some stretching, resting, and rolling my arch over a cold can of pop but now it's coming back. Am I going to have to get arch supports to put in every pair of shoes I own? (That's a lot.)

Hmmm...well that guy said basically the opposite of everything I have already heard - no stretching, go barefoot instead of orthotics.
(Also, I do walk around barefoot a lot and I can already pick up stuff with my toes although I don't do it on a regular basis.)

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1443 on: June 10, 2014, 08:47:01 AM »
The people you are reading just want to brace it and not prevent from future occurrences.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: June 10, 2014, 08:58:22 AM »
I can hold a wiggling 30 lbs'ish thing in one arm and pick up like small toy type items with a foot and lift it up to my other hand all day long guys. I'm in top form on this right now. if this was an olympic event I'd be the gold medal guy in it.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: June 10, 2014, 08:59:42 AM »
I can hold a wiggling 30 lbs'ish thing in one arm and pick up like small toy type items with a foot and lift it up to my other hand all day long guys. I'm in top form on this right now. if this was an olympic event I'd be the gold medal guy in it.

dad strength is no joke.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1446 on: June 10, 2014, 11:42:17 AM »

Hmmm...well that guy said basically the opposite of everything I have already heard - no stretching, go barefoot instead of orthotics.
(Also, I do walk around barefoot a lot and I can already pick up stuff with my toes although I don't do it on a regular basis.)
Another doctor that uses similar methods.

http://www.drnicksrunningblog.com/treating-plantar-fasciitis-in-the-chronic-patient-do-orthotics-work/

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: June 10, 2014, 11:44:14 AM »
I would totally get the gold in not letting a 30 ish pound thing fall out of my arm, even when the 30 ish pound thing is throwing itself backwards TRYING to fall down.
I'm purple down

The Big Train

« Reply #1448 on: June 10, 2014, 02:25:51 PM »
So maybe it has been talked about and maybe it hasn't, I don't feel like looking. Let's talk about the most overrated thing ever. BMI. I mean  :lol: who created this? Probably like a 5'2" 100 lb weekling. Amiright!?

I mean I'm not in the best shape yet(although I'm down 15lbs  :emawkid:) But good grief it's a joke.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: June 10, 2014, 02:28:50 PM »
correct, BMI is a joke.

it idealizes the figure of the elderly okinawan