Author Topic: handyman-ness  (Read 137778 times)

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: handyman-ness
« Reply #1450 on: March 09, 2023, 11:28:36 PM »
bro had plenty of hair gel but not a nailset

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: March 10, 2023, 08:35:36 AM »
This weekend I will be replacing the tires and coupler on a gooseneck trailer I bought at an auction.  Will probably end up replacing the brakes as well.
@mikec2w

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: March 10, 2023, 10:00:42 AM »
Installed my own septic tank and lateral field today. AMA.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G (2022) using Tapatalk
I have a bid to put in an alternative system at around $25k....gulp

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1453 on: March 10, 2023, 06:02:51 PM »
Installed my own septic tank and lateral field today. AMA.

I have a bid to put in an alternative system at around $25k....gulp
Ouch.

My brother has a back hoe. I paid a little over $1K in materials for a 1b / 1ba capacity system.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: March 10, 2023, 10:05:59 PM »
I am going to spend like $100k in the next 24 months on Exterior painting, flooring, carpet, interior painting, handyman crap like fixing trim and stuff. I am the least handy person on this website most likely.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: March 10, 2023, 10:06:15 PM »
but coolest

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: March 10, 2023, 11:29:17 PM »
Didn't you just build that place?

Online KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: March 20, 2023, 01:58:41 PM »
Started my off week strong by assembling the new TV stand for our Sweet 16 weekend.  From box to assembled with just an Allen wrench and Phillips screw driver.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: March 20, 2023, 02:00:43 PM »
Fantastic craftsmanship Tom
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: March 20, 2023, 02:02:23 PM »
Looks sharp Tom.  You might as well bless the new TV stand with a new TV  ;)

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: June 05, 2023, 10:29:25 AM »
Can any elite gE handypeople give me fridge advice? About four months ago, our 14 yo fridge stopped making things cold in the fridge portion but the freezer part continued to freeze things normally. The top of the fridge has the fridge portion and the freezer is on the bottom. I read online that some condenser thingy could be plugged with lint / pet hair or some sort of vent might be frosted over so I defrosted the whole thing and vacuumed out any lint that I could find. It immediately to function normally until last weekend when the fridge portion stopped cooling again (freezer was still freezing). I defrosted it again and everything is working fine. Is this a sign of impending doom for the fridge?

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: June 05, 2023, 11:30:23 AM »
i have fixed multiple side by side fridges with a simlar issue by replacing the thermostat which is basically an electric actuator that opens a door to allow more or less cold air from the freezer side to the fridge side.

what brand and model?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: June 05, 2023, 12:29:46 PM »
i have fixed multiple side by side fridges with a simlar issue by replacing the thermostat which is basically an electric actuator that opens a door to allow more or less cold air from the freezer side to the fridge side.

what brand and model?
whirlpool. GB2SHTXTS01

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: June 05, 2023, 01:25:41 PM »
I have come to the conclusion that no one can be very quick at changing out outlets and switches. have changed out roughly a thousand outlets and switches from ivory to white and I have not gotten any quicker.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: June 05, 2023, 01:32:21 PM »
I have come to the conclusion that no one can be very quick at changing out outlets and switches. have changed out roughly a thousand outlets and switches from ivory to white and I have not gotten any quicker.
I have changed out maybe two dozen and I'm very slow.  Also, my brain can't convince my body that the wires aren't electrified even after I have checked the circuit breaker three times. Dealing with the anxiety is slightly better than the embarrassment of calling an electrician (most of which are too busy to interrupt large profitable projects to come do tiny projects for homeowners). 

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: June 05, 2023, 02:24:46 PM »
I have changed out maybe two dozen and I'm very slow.  Also, my brain can't convince my body that the wires aren't electrified even after I have checked the circuit breaker three times. Dealing with the anxiety is slightly better than the embarrassment of calling an electrician (most of which are too busy to interrupt large profitable projects to come do tiny projects for homeowners).
I'm a huge weenie and just do it when no one else is in the house and turn the power off. Do not like messing with electrical while it's on at all.

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: June 05, 2023, 02:49:16 PM »
I switched out a light for a fan with the electrical on the other day and promptly flipped the breaker which probably means I shouldn't try that again.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: June 05, 2023, 02:55:47 PM »
i installed a new garbage disposal and also later re-installed it, after punching out the seal that you're supposed to punch out where the dishwasher hose goes into it. in between the installs, the dishwasher was not draining (i mean obviously, now) so i also cleaned the inner workings of the dishwasher before i knew about the seal thing. dishwasher might be the grossest thing in my house? idk

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: June 05, 2023, 03:11:46 PM »
i installed a new garbage disposal and also later re-installed it, after punching out the seal that you're supposed to punch out where the dishwasher hose goes into it. in between the installs, the dishwasher was not draining (i mean obviously, now) so i also cleaned the inner workings of the dishwasher before i knew about the seal thing. dishwasher might be the grossest thing in my house? idk

Garbage disposal swapouts are a very satisfying home repair project. The person who thought of using water out of the dishwasher to clean them had a good idea. I've probably discussed it in another thread on here but our Bosch dishwasher is just a great appliance. Would highly recommend if you are in the market for a new dishwasher.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: June 05, 2023, 04:24:40 PM »
I'm a huge weenie and just do it when no one else is in the house and turn the power off. Do not like messing with electrical while it's on at all.

You guys need one of these:  https://www.lowes.com/pd/IDEAL-Single-Range-24-600-Volt-Non-Contact-Voltage-Sensor-with-Flashlight/5000240959   Great for peace of mind for small electrical projects.

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: June 05, 2023, 04:34:09 PM »

Garbage disposal swapouts are a very satisfying home repair project. The person who thought of using water out of the dishwasher to clean them had a good idea. I've probably discussed it in another thread on here but our Bosch dishwasher is just a great appliance. Would highly recommend if you are in the market for a new dishwasher.

yeah, I did this and it is a pretty good handymaness feeling.  I got a Badger and told the young stones that under the sink is now to be referred to as "The Badger's Den"

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: June 06, 2023, 09:56:07 AM »
had 3 LED recessed disk lights start to dim when first turned on. Bought replacements only to find out that the plug to the electrical box doesn't match anymore. Ending up having to kill power and wire in the replacement boxes for each light. Extremely frustrating but satisfying.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: June 10, 2023, 07:57:46 PM »
Mrs.Hamburg just bought herself this lathe for the garage. She’s getting 220 installed in the garage for it soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: June 12, 2023, 11:09:57 AM »
I have become the Charlie Daniels of the mud knife. Skimcoatings the game.. yla is the name

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: June 19, 2023, 04:21:43 PM »
Cleaners just left, idk why I didn't hire a cleaning service earlier. We don't have an anti-handyman-ness thread so it goes here I guess
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f