Author Topic: Why do we enjoy sports?  (Read 2396 times)

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Why do we enjoy sports?
« on: February 15, 2012, 02:54:33 PM »
 :confused:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Why do we enjoy sports?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 03:06:19 PM »
http://youtu.be/5ekf7TyWt8I

Decide for yourself.

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 05:12:16 PM »
This is why I do. My entire childhood was confirmed and redeemed by this play and this game and this player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpJaJM4Cy8o&feature=related

This is one of those moments when we know we have seen something pure and good - childlike joy.
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 05:57:53 PM »
god, elway was such an over rated pussy.

Offline Dingo

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 07:01:41 PM »
I've been asking this question myself.  Most of you know I'm an Eagles fan, so the NFL season is pure KITN every year.  I have former in-laws from New York who are all Giants fans, and they are loving to call me and get in my crap right now.

But then I think of it.  What do they have going for their lives that I don't?  And then it hit me -- they have the opportunity to go out and by a "Super Bowl Champions" t-shirt.  And if that is all it takes to rough ridin' fulfill you, then I envy you your zen simplicity.

As for me, I thought the Kansas State "Texas State Champions T-Shirt" would would some sort of three wolf moon magic in my life, but once I put it on, I discovered I am the same butthurt loser I was before. 

So why do we love sports?  Beats the hell out of me. 
I'm not a psychopath.  I'm a high-functioning sociopath.  Do your research.

Offline j-dub

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 08:43:49 PM »

my goodness.. squawk outed.
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 09:15:47 PM »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 09:18:05 PM »
Quote from: j-dub link=topic=19208.msg46351

6#msg463516 date=1329360229

my goodness.. squawk outed.

terrell davis

Offline j-dub

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 10:27:18 PM »

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 10:53:33 PM »

I hated him.  Hated.  But its not because he wasn't great. 

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 10:57:09 PM »
The outcome is truly undecided when we the game starts, in an entertainment world where everything is cliche and played, when I turn on a game I don't know what will happen.  It's something most of us can relate to, we've all played games, played something competitive, and know what winning and losing feels like.  Watching the winning and losing play out on a big level is fun and engaging.  Just a few of my thoughts. 

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 11:28:26 PM »
I have wondered what is the point of following sports.  Its enjoyable to watch and a positive part of life as long as you don't get hung up on losses.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 11:37:20 PM »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 01:49:58 AM »
it's a relatively harmless way to indulge in a group identity and simulate intergroup conflicts.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 01:56:52 AM »
I have wondered what is the point of following sports.  Its enjoyable to watch and a positive part of life as long as you don't get hung up on losses.

It's impossible to enjoy wins to their full potential without truly grieving the losses.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 02:12:24 AM »
I have wondered what is the point of following sports.  Its enjoyable to watch and a positive part of life as long as you don't get hung up on losses.

It's impossible to enjoy wins to their full potential without truly grieving the losses.
I don't think that's true, and if it is true, I hope i never enjoy wins to their full potential.

I have this nightmarish image in my head where I'm 38, kids and a wife, and where I want to be in all aspects of my life. but it's Saturday evening and my kids want to play some stupid game or something and their mother has to warn them not to talk to me because the Wildcats lost.  I do not want to be that.  The thought of it makes me shudder.   

There are awful things that happen in life.  Awful things, truly worthy of grief.  A collegiate sporting event loss isn't one of those things.

Just let it be fun.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 02:15:21 AM by Dlew12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 06:31:30 AM »

That is true, but its not a good thing.  What does it say about a person if they go nuts after a win?  Does anyone ever really respect that guy?  And really I just enjoy watching the game for my amusement more than celebrating other's achievements.  We lose?  Whatever, I just go on with my day.

Back in the days when I was ksuno1stunner, K-State sports was the only thing I cared about.  It was my identity.  It is a shitty existence when the only thing people felt they could talk to you about was K-State.  It is a shitty existence when it also is the #1 determining factor in your happiness.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 08:47:06 AM »

I've been asking this question myself.  Most of you know I'm an Eagles fan...

yup, we've got it in your file listed under "Favorite NFL franchise"

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 10:18:56 AM »
I've been asking this question myself.  Most of you know I'm an Eagles fan...

yup, we've got it all in your file listed under "Favorite NFL franchise"
when I think of dingo, I think free roaming and wild. then tecmo bowl and qb eagles comes to mind then bam! dingeagles fan!

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 11:51:48 AM »

That is true, but its not a good thing.  What does it say about a person if they go nuts after a win?  Does anyone ever really respect that guy?  And really I just enjoy watching the game for my amusement more than celebrating other's achievements.  We lose?  Whatever, I just go on with my day.

Back in the days when I was ksuno1stunner, K-State sports was the only thing I cared about.  It was my identity.  It is a shitty existence when the only thing people felt they could talk to you about was K-State.  It is a shitty existence when it also is the #1 determining factor in your happiness.

Very well said.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 01:12:24 PM »
I have wondered what is the point of following sports.  Its enjoyable to watch and a positive part of life as long as you don't get hung up on losses.

I don't think that's true, and if it is true, I hope i never enjoy wins to their full potential.

I have this nightmarish image in my head where I'm 38, kids and a wife, and where I want to be in all aspects of my life. but it's Saturday evening and my kids want to play some stupid game or something and their mother has to warn them not to talk to me because the Wildcats lost.  I do not want to be that.  The thought of it makes me shudder.   

There are awful things that happen in life.  Awful things, truly worthy of grief.  A collegiate sporting event loss isn't one of those things.

Just let it be fun.

I've found that my kids soften my response to the losses.  I did melt down after the Baylor and ISU losses this year in B-Ball, but it was only for a fraction of the time I used to melt down for.  I really enjoy the wins, and can't stand the losses, but being around little ones who don't give a crap about it is somewhat therapeutic. 

My Dad wasn't a Cat fan until I went to school there, but we really bonded over the Royals and Chiefs when I was young.  He would be disappointed when the Chiefs lost, but never outwardly angry.  I hope I can have a relationship like that with my kids, where we bond with sports, rather than it turning me into what you describe.