Author Topic: Worst dental procedures  (Read 5594 times)

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Worst dental procedures
« on: February 06, 2012, 02:49:01 PM »
In order of worst to least worst
Root canal (thanks 4th grade baseball coach)
Braces-mostly just for the length of it (had them on for 2 years)
Gum graph
Bleaching
Routine cleaning

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
I'm purple down

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Worst dental procedures
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 02:54:41 PM »
Braces
Wisdom Teeth Removal
Retainer
Fillings
Routine Cleaning

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 02:56:59 PM »
Braces
Wisdom Teeth Removal
Cleanings

Those are the only thing I've had done to my teeth, so can't judge others.  I logically put Wisdom Teeth Removal above cleanings but honestly the only thing that was tough was not being able to eat solid foods. I didn't have any pain.  Braces on the other hand :ohno:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 02:59:32 PM »
Braces
Wisdom Teeth Removal
Cleanings

Those are the only thing I've had done to my teeth, so can't judge others.  I logically put Wisdom Teeth Removal above cleanings but honestly the only thing that was tough was not being able to eat solid foods. I didn't have any pain.  Braces on the other hand :ohno:

Cleanings are over after just a few minutes and then your whole mouth feels great for the rest of the day and sometimes even into the next day. Wisdom teeth removal didn't really hurt, but I did not enjoy a mouthful of gauze for the entire day, and It left big holes in my gums were the teeth used to be that my food would get stuck in and it was super gross to remove it. This lasted a few weeks.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 03:01:41 PM »
my canines never came in.  were fused into the roof of my mouth to the palate but there wasn't even a bump up there so I never even worried about it.  dentist growing up said I would need to have them extracted at some point.  anyway, in college I had my wisdom teeth out and had them take those out too since I was going under anyway.  they cut the roof of my mouth down the middle and peeled it back to get to those teeth.  they had to crush them to get them out.  they then sowed the roof of my mouth back and I had to wear a thing in my mouth that held the roof of my mouth to the palate so it would heal to it and not just flop around.  when they took that plastic thing out a couple of weeks later the dentist was like, "bro, I am going to take this out.  do not look at it.  do not touch the top of your mouth with your tongue FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T OMG!" and I was like, cool, I won't.  they took that plastic out and gave me like 7 gallons of listerine to wash my mouth out.  it was all nasty and scabby and gross for about hte first 7  mouth fulls.  anyway, still have two baby teeth that are going to come out some day and then I'll get implants.  Have never had a cavity or anything else other than twice annual cleanings.  Dentist says my baby teeth are just holding on because I have exceptionally strong teeth or something but in the xrays the root is barely even there so I will probably lose one out of nowhere some day and look like a freak until I get an implant.  

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 03:04:20 PM »
my canines never came in.  were fused into the roof of my mouth to the palate but there wasn't even a bump up there so I never even worried about it.  dentist growing up said I would need to have them extracted at some point.  anyway, in college I had my wisdom teeth out and had them take those out too since I was going under anyway.  they cut the roof of my mouth down the middle and peeled it back to get to those teeth.  they had to crush them to get them out.  they then sowed the roof of my mouth back and I had to wear a thing in my mouth that held the roof of my mouth to the palate so it would heal to it and not just flop around.  when they took that plastic thing out a couple of weeks later the dentist was like, "bro, I am going to take this out.  do not look at it.  do not touch the top of your mouth with your tongue FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T OMG!" and I was like, cool, I won't.  they took that plastic out and gave me like 7 gallons of listerine to wash my mouth out.  it was all nasty and scabby and gross for about hte first 7  mouth fulls.  anyway, still have two baby teeth that are going to come out some day and then I'll get implants.  Have never had a cavity or anything else other than twice annual cleanings.  Dentist says my baby teeth are just holding on because I have exceptionally strong teeth or something.  

I don't think they are baby teeth at all. I think you just have a 3rd set of teeth coming in and those smartass dentists don't recognize evolution when they see it.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 03:07:30 PM »
My dad has a gold tooth. True story.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Worst dental procedures
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 03:09:15 PM »
I completely forgot about wisdom teeth. New list:
Root canal
Braces
Gum graph
Wisdom teeth
Bleaching
Routine cleaning

No cavities though

My wife was one of those horror stories they tell you about with wisdom teeth. She got dry sockets, couldn't open her mouth (lock jaw), threw up everything she tried to eat, then had to go to the hospital because she got so dehydrated.
I'm purple down

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 03:26:12 PM »
Braces (twice over 4.5 years)
Gum Graft
Implant
Wisdom Teeth
Routine Cleaning
Root Canal
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 03:26:38 PM »
What is getting an implant like?

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 03:30:19 PM »

It depends on if you have to get a gum graft with it.  The gum graft was the worst part.  The implant isn't painful, its just sore and pretty tender for a few days.  The pain in the ass is that you have to go back 6-9 times over a year for checkups and tightenings while going toothless before you can get the crown put on.  Do you have to get one or just thinking about the future?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 03:32:06 PM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 03:31:36 PM »

It depends on if you have to get a gum graft with it.  The gum graft was the worst part.  The implant isn't painful, its just sore and pretty tender for a few days.  The pain in the ass is that you have to go back 6-9 times over a year for checkups and tightenings.  Do you have to get one or just thinking about the future?

I would guess neither of those, SD probably has great teeth.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 03:40:03 PM »

It depends on if you have to get a gum graft with it.  The gum graft was the worst part.  The implant isn't painful, its just sore and pretty tender for a few days.  The pain in the ass is that you have to go back 6-9 times over a year for checkups and tightenings while going toothless before you can get the crown put on.  Do you have to get one or just thinking about the future?

I still have two baby teeth.  I will need to have them taken out or get an implant once the first one falls out. 

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 04:17:18 PM »
Not bad, they give you the a couple of days worth of good drugs.  Have two implants due to a similar baby teeth scenario.  All the temporary dental things (wisdom removal, implants) pale in comparo to the continual pain of braces.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 05:56:04 PM »
Not bad, they give you the a couple of days worth of good drugs.  Have two implants due to a similar baby teeth scenario.  All the temporary dental things (wisdom removal, implants) pale in comparo to the continual pain of braces.

Perfect usage of continual as opposed to continuous.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 06:04:38 PM »
I was borl without wisdom teeth and never needed braces.  Worst thing I ever had done was a repair to a chipped tooth.  I didn't hurt at all but it took quite a while and I couldn't move or the repair wouldn't look good.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 07:00:38 PM »
Getting wisdom teeth out was fantastic! It was the first time I was really high on drugs, and also first awake blackout when I apparently moved from the dentist chair to the lobby sofa.

So worst procedures:
Braces
Root canal (much worse before the operation than during / after)
Regular cleaning
wisdom teeth

:adios:

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 12:00:32 AM »
Do dead teeth really stink? My only experience with them is in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Worst dental procedures
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 03:48:21 PM »
Do dead teeth really stink? My only experience with them is in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
After you get a root canal they aren't bad, it works as good as any other tooth, but mine did turn a little off color, I'm not sure if it will get considerably weaker than a tooth with a root over time and have to be replaced? Who is our resident goEMAW dentist?
I'm purple down

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 06:03:57 PM »
who knew we had so much dope mouth running rampant on goEMAW. kstatebate could make a fortune around here.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 09:28:20 PM »
Yeah what the eff. Brush your goddamn teeth kids.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 12:00:57 AM »
External resorption repair (administer local anesthetic, cut flap in your gum, peel it back, drill out affected tissue in socket, replace tissue with composite, sew gum flap back over tooth). Only "good" part: Vicodin.

Canine tooth extraction (local anesthetic)
^
^
braces

^

wisdom tooth removal (general anesthetic)

^

root canal

^

cavities

^

cleaning