Author Topic: Are we spoiled already  (Read 2614 times)

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
Are we spoiled already
« on: January 29, 2012, 09:27:30 AM »
Terrible loss last night, but watching the game I saw that Villanova is below .500.  Most here would give a toe to have Jay Wright's sexy ass on our sideline.  Can you imagine if Frank was .500 or below?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Are we spoiled already
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 09:35:45 AM »
This doesn't make any sense.  Your subject question made sense, the answer is no, at least I hope so.  The body of the message is a mess.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 09:46:06 AM »
3 yrs ago we started the conf 0-4.     We had lost 6 of 11 conf games to finish off the Beasley year the previous year............ so we were in the midst of losing10 of 15 conf games.    That was a tough patch.   But although at 0-4 everyone was dissappointed, i think most of us realized we were not that great of a team.  

I did not see the top 10 and #2 seed team coming in 09-10.      We performed better throughout the year than i had ever hoped for.

I wasnt  expecting to be a top 20 team this year capable of getting as high as a 5-6 seed.      But then we played very well at the end of the non con and went 11-1.   We were a couple of possessions away from beating two unbeaten Top 6 teams in a matter of days.............  and since letting the Baylor game slip away, we have performed like the team i thought we might be back in November.   A team that makes the NCAA tourney but makes it with a double digit seed and a team that might not be able to continue the streak of top 4 finishes in the league

We all know this team has potential.   Most of us could not say that back in November.    So with that potential comes higher expectations.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 09:49:45 AM »
3 yrs ago we started the conf 0-4.     We had lost 6 of 11 conf games to finish off the Beasley year the previous year............ so we were in the midst of losing10 of 15 conf games.    That was a tough patch.   But although at 0-4 everyone was dissappointed, i think most of us realized we were not that great of a team.   

I did not see the top 10 and #2 seed team coming in 09-10.      We performed better throughout the year than i had ever hoped for.

I wasnt  expecting to be a top 20 team this year capable of getting as high as a 5-6 seed.      But then we played very well at the end of the non con and went 11-1.   We were a couple of possessions away from beating two unbeaten Top 6 teams in a matter of days.............  and since letting the Baylor game slip away, we have performed like the team i thought we might be back in November.   A team that makes the NCAA tourney but makes it with a double digit seed and a team that might not be able to continue the streak of top 4 finishes in the league

We all know this team has potential.   Most of us could not say that back in November.    So with that potential comes higher expectations.

I pretty much agree with everything you posted.

It's interesting to look back at this thread from December:

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=17803.0

Offline Fuktard

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 10:30:16 AM »
3 yrs ago we started the conf 0-4.     We had lost 6 of 11 conf games to finish off the Beasley year the previous year............ so we were in the midst of losing10 of 15 conf games.    That was a tough patch.   But although at 0-4 everyone was dissappointed, i think most of us realized we were not that great of a team.   

I did not see the top 10 and #2 seed team coming in 09-10.      We performed better throughout the year than i had ever hoped for.

I wasnt  expecting to be a top 20 team this year capable of getting as high as a 5-6 seed.      But then we played very well at the end of the non con and went 11-1.   We were a couple of possessions away from beating two unbeaten Top 6 teams in a matter of days.............  and since letting the Baylor game slip away, we have performed like the team i thought we might be back in November.   A team that makes the NCAA tourney but makes it with a double digit seed and a team that might not be able to continue the streak of top 4 finishes in the league

We all know this team has potential.   Most of us could not say that back in November.    So with that potential comes higher expectations.

I thought we'd be in the top half of the league but that was it....no thoughts of a top 25 team.  We are starting 2 fresh, a soph, a junior and a senior.  We're young.  We're much better than almost anyone thought we'd be and we lost a game we should have won.  Ou played lights out that first game and they played pretty damn good last night.  Sprad's needs to get his shot back or we will struggle to win.  Angel needs to be able to keep himself on the floor (stupid fouls) and he needs to be a threat from 3 as well.  IF these things happen, we'll be fine.  We played defense well enough last night to beat almost anyone...I think this is a pretty good sign. 

EDIT:  I just read my post and it's a rambling mess.  The truth is I woke up this morning and felt like my dog died.  I'm a mess Danny.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 10:33:23 AM by Fuktard »

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 11:32:14 AM »
Yes. We're spoiled by 4th-place finishes. I mean, we just take them for granted. All these banners have just turned us into a bunch of trust-fund babies.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 12:09:33 PM »
It is going to be hard not seeing the team be able to gather at midcourt before the first game next year for the 4th place banner raising ceremony err painting.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 02:05:30 PM »

I pretty much agree with everything you posted.

It's interesting to look back at this thread from December:

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=17803.0

Great thread to bring up. Expectations are always going to be fluid, big this year has brought out some of the biggest ups and downs ever. In the end it looks like we'll end up where most expected, a .500ish Big 12 bubble team.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 02:09:47 PM »
If we can avoid an RPI 100+ loss and go .500 in conference, I would guess we're safely in.

catzacker

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 05:20:54 PM »
KU, MU, UT, A&M and Baylor are better than us.  The Big 12 is not getting 60% of its teams into the tourney.  NIT #3 seed.  8-10 in conf.  

sub A&m for OU.  And maybe UT for ISU.  Same result.  NIT.  This team sucks.  And I mean, people can f*cking act like we should suck or something to make them feel better, but it didn't have to be that way.  It didn't have to be if Frank didn't completely whiff in the '08 class on a PG.  If Frank didn't run off Russel (who'd be a junior PG) or recruited someone better than Spradling as a PG.  Or maybe if Frank didn't waste his f*cking time with Myles.  I mean, yeah, you can look at this team right now and objectively say they're probably a 10 seed (which is bubble-ish) but the question is why.  Why are they like this.  And it's because Frank's recruiting is subpar.  And please spare me the "frank's recruiting better than the previous coaches' " speech.  that's garbage. complete garbage.  that's like comparing your IQ to a mental respect's to make yourself feel like a genius.  

And btw, looking forward, we're brining in bigs...and probably some other juco combo who'll f*cking suck after frank runs off omari or watson or shane or whoever the hell he decides to run off.  So the idea that we're going to get better is hopeless bullsh*t.  We suck at the point guard position and Angel is not the answer.  Neither is Will.  Neither is Jones.  We have no answers on our roster and we don't have even the hope of one coming next year.  Is angel a better point than  Will?  Sure, but see my respect/genius analogy above.  

point is, we shouldn't have to act like expecting a strong, solid ball club year in and year out is "spoiled".  It should be the goddamn expectation.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 05:24:59 PM »
Define "strong, solid ballclub" please.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 05:28:04 PM »
We'll still likely 4th or 5th in the league, zack.

catzacker

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 05:47:40 PM »
Define "strong, solid ballclub" please.

<8 seed every year.  and maybe actually, legitimately competing for the conference once every 4 years or something. i dunno.  it's a vague term I threw in because I'm just pissed that we have to go through this AVOIDABLE bullsh*t if Frank would recruit better.   

We'll still likely 4th or 5th in the league, zack.

no we aren't.  we're losing in aimes.  death and taxes are the only other certain things in life than losing in aimes.  and it won't surprise me in the least if a&m comes into the octagon of overratedness and Kruger's us.  Tech should be a nice win, getting everyone all fuzzy that we've "turned the corner".  Then look at the remaining schedule and tell me when we're favored:

@ UT
KU
@ BU
@ MU
ISU (maybe we get a couple of points?)
@ A&M
OSU (probably be favored)

we're not finishing 4/5.  Who is?  f*ck if I know.  We aren't. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 05:59:38 PM »
we're not finishing 4/5.  Who is?  f*ck if I know.  We aren't. 

LOL

catzacker

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 06:01:29 PM »
KU
MU
BU
OU
ISU

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 08:30:18 PM »
that's like comparing your IQ to a mental respect's to make yourself feel like a genius.

that's what this board is for.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 08:53:50 PM »
jesus christ zacker. step away for awhile.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 09:04:29 PM »
that's like comparing your IQ to a mental respect's to make yourself feel like a genius.

that's what this board is for.

Offline Fuktard

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 09:52:28 PM »
KU, MU, UT, A&M and Baylor are better than us.  The Big 12 is not getting 60% of its teams into the tourney.  NIT #3 seed.  8-10 in conf.  

sub A&m for OU.  And maybe UT for ISU.  Same result.  NIT.  This team sucks.  And I mean, people can f*cking act like we should suck or something to make them feel better, but it didn't have to be that way.  It didn't have to be if Frank didn't completely whiff in the '08 class on a PG.  If Frank didn't run off Russel (who'd be a junior PG) or recruited someone better than Spradling as a PG.  Or maybe if Frank didn't waste his f*cking time with Myles.  I mean, yeah, you can look at this team right now and objectively say they're probably a 10 seed (which is bubble-ish) but the question is why.  Why are they like this.  And it's because Frank's recruiting is subpar.  And please spare me the "frank's recruiting better than the previous coaches' " speech.  that's garbage. complete garbage.  that's like comparing your IQ to a mental respect's to make yourself feel like a genius.  

And btw, looking forward, we're brining in bigs...and probably some other juco combo who'll f*cking suck after frank runs off omari or watson or shane or whoever the hell he decides to run off.  So the idea that we're going to get better is hopeless bullsh*t.  We suck at the point guard position and Angel is not the answer.  Neither is Will.  Neither is Jones.  We have no answers on our roster and we don't have even the hope of one coming next year.  Is angel a better point than  Will?  Sure, but see my respect/genius analogy above.  

point is, we shouldn't have to act like expecting a strong, solid ball club year in and year out is "spoiled".  It should be the goddamn expectation.

yes because in 4 years under Frank we've only got two rounds of 32 and an elite eight...but that's not nearly good enough for you and some other entitled fucks on this board....you demand "strong, solid ball clubs"...  no disrespect.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 10:04:58 PM »
KU
MU
BU
OU
ISU

I can see ISU finishing ahead of us. OU will have trouble.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 08:10:59 AM »
I will be disappointed if we don't finish in the top half of the league. I think we're probably a 9-9/10-8 team at this point; kenpom's projections look about right. RPI is now sitting in the low 40s, so we will likely be squarely on the bubble.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 08:17:30 AM »
I will be disappointed if we don't finish in the top half of the league. I think we're probably a 9-9/10-8 team at this point; kenpom's projections look about right. RPI is now sitting in the low 40s, so we will likely be squarely on the bubble.

If we can steal a win at home against KU, or on road at Mizzou or Baylor, then hold to the KenPom predictos, would that get us in?   Seems like two big wins (Mizzou, and MysWin) would do it, right?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 08:22:01 AM »

If we can steal a win at home against KU, or on road at Mizzou or Baylor, then hold to the KenPom predictos, would that get us in?   Seems like two big wins (Mizzou, and MysWin) would do it, right?

Yeah, to keep in simple there are probably two scenarios. Go 1-2 vs BU/MU/KU and go 5-2 vs the rest, or 0-3 vs those 3 and 6-1 (and maybe 7-0) vs the rest. I'm not sold that 9-9 will be enough to get us in this year, though it might be. I think we likely need 6 more wins, getting one of those in the Big 12 tournament may be enough, but 6 more wins seems minimum to me.