Author Topic: Attachés, Briefcases, Messenger Bags  (Read 21238 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: Attachés, Briefcases, Messenger Bags
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2012, 09:45:53 PM »
If you are going to grad school full time you had better go backpack.  It is school and you will be taking books to campus for multiple classes.  Nothing else has the room you need.

:thumbs:

real grad school or a professional school?  if it's real grad school, you'll have an office and won't need a bag. 
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2012, 10:10:01 PM »
If you are going to grad school full time you had better go backpack.  It is school and you will be taking books to campus for multiple classes.  Nothing else has the room you need.

:thumbs:

real grad school or a professional school?  if it's real grad school, you'll have an office and won't need a bag. 

Professional school.  He'll absolutely want a backpack.

not carrying anything is best.

Especially for interviews and stuff.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2012, 10:43:00 PM »
when i was in middle school people would get made fun of if they wore backpacks with two straps. better to just one strap it. not sure if that holds true for middle schoolers still. separate thread? mods would probably combine. dunno. better come to a consensus here.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2012, 10:46:11 PM »
i've never seen any respectable executive wearing a "back pack" but to those who suggest that he buy one, make sure that my fries are hot when i get to the drive through window, thanks a lot.  otherwise i'll run back through the drive through and have your job on a platter.  good job, not.  some people should just shut their pie holes when it's obvious they've been out manned in a thread.  backpacks.  comedy relief here folks, comedy relief.  where's robin williams at, i bet he's hiding in a cake somewhere.  for heaven's sake.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2012, 10:50:17 PM »
Fossil makes some sweet laptop/messenger bags, as does Swiss Army.

Offline FP TC etc.

• Katpak'r
  • USA! USA! USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2012, 10:54:29 PM »
Oh, great. While I packed up my laptop into my backpack, the cool coworker guy was really razzin' me. Said, "Careful, hope your crayons don't fall out! LMAO!" as he walked away with a slight lean.

I bet this guy makes way more than you do.

why?

Messenger bag vs Backpack.

It's science.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2012, 08:37:11 AM »

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2012, 09:02:47 AM »

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2012, 09:05:40 AM »
i've never seen any respectable executive wearing a "back pack" but to those who suggest that he buy one, make sure that my fries are hot when i get to the drive through window, thanks a lot.  otherwise i'll run back through the drive through and have your job on a platter.  good job, not.  some people should just shut their pie holes when it's obvious they've been out manned in a thread.  backpacks.  comedy relief here folks, comedy relief.  where's robin williams at, i bet he's hiding in a cake somewhere.  for heaven's sake.

wait. this thread is only about "executives". my bad then. i thought dlew was going to grad school or something and assumed that there were people in other fields posting as well.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2012, 09:34:35 AM »

If he had a messenger bag they would have won.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2012, 12:12:54 PM »

wait. this thread is only about "executives". my bad then. i thought dlew was going to grad school or something and assumed that there were people in other fields posting as well.

you're right, you know the old saying "dress like a scumbag and no one will think you're a scumbag".  thanks rick daris, you're droppin major knowledge in this thread, like every other thread you post in.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2012, 11:50:37 AM »
Picked up one of these a couple of weeks ago: http://www.jackgeorges.com/elements-collection-4403-triple-gusset-flap-w-open-back-pocket.html. Pretty happy with it so far. Well-made, good leather, looks good. Guess the guy used to be Coach's designer. Got a return on eBay for $200.

Did a bit of comparison, inspired by this thread. As mentioned, Tumi, Coach, and Saddleback are all high-quality. The Fossil and Kenneth Cole bags I looked at were much lower quality.  Fossil price point is especially disappointing for what you get.

I was also impressed with reviews on Filson, Tusting, and Custom Hide bags.

Basically, you're gonna spend $200-$500 for a quality briefcase or messenger. The cheaper brands seem pretty prone to giving out fairly early, so you're better off in the long run dropping an extra $100 (or, in the case of Fossil, getting a Jack Georges online for a comparable price).

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2012, 12:00:12 PM »
I've noticed a trend with east coast attorneys having the most beat up POS leather cases I've ever seen.  It appears to be a show of experience or something.  You have a $5k pair of glasses on and your briefcase/bag looks like a 40 year old catchers mitt.  I imagine everyone who shows up with a brand new bag must get mocked as a n00b or something.   

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2012, 12:03:02 PM »
I've noticed a trend with east coast attorneys having the most beat up POS leather cases I've ever seen.  It appears to be a show of experience or something.  You have a $5k pair of glasses on and your briefcase/bag looks like a 40 year old catchers mitt.  I imagine everyone who shows up with a brand new bag must get mocked as a n00b or something.   

It's like a hardhat on a construction site.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2012, 01:37:25 PM »

It's like a hardhat on a construction site.

yup.

Offline bringonthecats

• Fan
  • #teamwillspradling #teamnosleeves
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2012, 10:47:02 PM »
if you were going to grad school for something like history or int'l relations like me with a bunch of weirdos and not worried about impressing any of them, i'd say go with the backpack for functionality. however, since you'll be in law school and not grad school, there will be exponentially less weird people. you might even want to impress them! it's obviously all about how you look and a nice leather messenger bag will do the trick.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2012, 10:53:21 PM »
if you were going to grad school for something like history or int'l relations like me with a bunch of weirdos and not worried about impressing any of them, i'd say go with the backpack for functionality. however, since you'll be in law school and not grad school, there will be exponentially less weird people. you might even want to impress them! it's obviously all about how you look and a nice leather messenger bag will do the trick.
Thanks, BOTC. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2012, 10:56:16 PM »
some of you people really need to get over trying to impress other people with clothes and other ridiculous things. this isn't 7th grade where all the grade schools are coming together as one school and you have to fight to regain your dominance as one of the important people. get a life.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2012, 10:57:41 PM »
some of you people really need to get over trying to impress other people with clothes and other ridiculous things. this isn't 7th grade where all the grade schools are coming together as one school and you have to fight to regain your dominance as one of the important people. get a life.
YES IT IS.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2012, 12:38:26 AM »
I'm surrounded by law students in my apt building, and I have never once seen them with anything aside from a backpack. One of the girls drives a Benz and has a middle aged boyfriend though, she always has designer handbags that she carries her stuff in.

Grad school and being a lawyer are two different things. I'd think it would go along the same lines as white lab coat length while in med school, but only for bags for law students? When you get out there, drop dollars on a bag. While you're in law school, and dropping 1k a semester on books, I don't think you need to worry about an attache, briefcase, etc. Unless you are  :kstategrad:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2012, 07:19:06 AM »
I'm surrounded by law students in my apt building, and I have never once seen them with anything aside from a backpack. One of the girls drives a Benz and has a middle aged boyfriend though, she always has designer handbags that she carries her stuff in.

Grad school and being a lawyer are two different things. I'd think it would go along the same lines as white lab coat length while in med school, but only for bags for law students? When you get out there, drop dollars on a bag. While you're in law school, and dropping 1k a semester on books, I don't think you need to worry about an attache, briefcase, etc. Unless you are  :kstategrad:

Huh.  Sundance Kid took a minute off from rough ridin' over fellow EMAWs on tickets to make a good point.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2012, 11:58:01 AM »

Huh.  Sundance Kid took a minute off from rough ridin' over fellow EMAWs on tickets to make a good point.

I figured I would save you some time of having to bring it up every time I post something and just put it in my signature. You're welcome.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2012, 12:01:49 PM »

I figured I would save you some time of having to bring it up every time I post something and just put it in my signature. You're welcome.

Not harsh enough.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2012, 12:06:18 PM »
Self imposed penalties?  No, denied.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2012, 12:08:33 PM »

Not harsh enough.

Welp,  I'll take it away then. I'll let you levy harshness of tone on your own, as you cry it about town.

Knock yourself out.