Author Topic: frank for three more years  (Read 27526 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: frank for three more years
« Reply #125 on: March 07, 2010, 06:01:00 PM »
micat,

it is fun.  try to have fun sometime.

sincerely,
righteous anger

hey man, hop on my Frank is sucking at recruiting anger train.  There's plenty of room - it's pretty much just me and sys (and his dedication to my cause is questionable).

Really not sure what the downside is.  I mean what is the worst that could happen?  The AD thinks there is a vocal minority that is relentlessly defending frank/bball program's interests.  I mean it would suck but if a section 17'r got dax'd/martyred it would basically be a never-ending nightmare of hilarious protests, mustached disguises and lobbing anger, righteous anger, from the intrawebs.  I mean I really see no downside at all even when considering worst case scenario.

Hypothetically, It would be for section 17 what a certain legal action would do for this website.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 07, 2010, 06:22:07 PM »
micat,

it is fun.  try to have fun sometime.

sincerely,
righteous anger

hey man, hop on my Frank is sucking at recruiting anger train.  There's plenty of room - it's pretty much just me and sys (and his dedication to my cause is questionable).

Really not sure what the downside is.  I mean what is the worst that could happen?  The AD thinks there is a vocal minority that is relentlessly defending frank/bball program's interests.  I mean it would suck but if a section 17'r got dax'd/martyred it would basically be a never-ending nightmare of hilarious protests, mustached disguises and lobbing anger, righteous anger, from the intrawebs.  I mean I really see no downside at all even when considering worst case scenario.

Hypothetically, It would be for section 17 what a certain legal action would do for this website.

Free the 17 3!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 07, 2010, 06:35:17 PM »
This was a surprising post on GPC.  Not really sure what to make of it, honestly. 

Now***

The controversial part of my random Sunday afternoon thoughts.

1. I don't know if I like John Currie. The guy blows some serious smokescreens. He had me totally buffaloed for the first couple of months...but with the latest dismissals of employees, I think it shows that he's in way, way, way over his head.

Why in the hell would he let Robin Fosha go in the ticket office...just before football season ticket renewals; the Powercat Auction; Big 12 and NCAA tourney ticket requests...etc. There is no one "in charge" up there right now other than the 2 people who have always worked there...but none in any type of administrative position. Also, the smokescreen that I speak of, is that this was done as a "budget cut" type of move. Why, then, within a week was there a job position request posted offering MORE $$$? All that was done was a job title change. Why not ask the current employee to assume more duties, or assume a new title. This probably could have even been done without additional $$$ being spent.

This decision did not make a lot of season ticket holders (including me) happy at all.

Robin isn't the only example I have.

Jerry Dugan (the custodian at Vanier) was let go. Jerry had been there for 6 or 7 years. He knew more about the place than the people that built it. (trust me...I know this as fact) This decision did not make Coach Snyder happy at all. Is Vanier just not going to have a custodian now? Oh, I know. They are going to have to hire another one, right? Of course they are. This firing was done to show that the "reshuffle" didn't just affect the higher salaried employees at KSU athletics. Jerry became the definition of "collateral damage".

Oh, and another kicker. Jerry was the long-haul driver for the KSU football team. Guess they are going to have to contract those services now too. Wonder how much additional $$$ that is going to cost.

Jerry isn't the only example I have.

Kim Linck (business manager at Bramlage) was let go. Kim wore so many hats up at Bramlage, that I wonder if John Currie was just a little bit intimidated with having him in the offices. Kim was one of the "always on call" I.T. guys. (Especially after Doug passed away earlier this year) Kim ran the multiple minor sport operations, as well as overseeing a staff of 4. Kim was also very integral when it came to maintenance at the whole sports complex. Everything from Bramlage, to Tointon, to BSFS, to Brandenberry, to...well, everything. Kim was instrumental in getting all the new technology instilled at Bramlage. From the ticket scanners, to the credit card machines in the concession stands, to even having a new emergency backup plan. (computer and I.T. wise)

There is no way that they are going to be able to delegate all the jobs that this guy did to 1 person, at a salary less than what he was being paid. It will take multiple people, with multiple different backgrounds in various areas to cover this dismissal. Yet, this too was supposed to be a reduction in budget. I, for one, am doubting it.

Kim isn't the last example I have.

Kurt McGuffin was another person that wore many hats in the Bramlage offices. Kurt was instrumental in leading the Mike Ahearn Scholarship Fund to record numbers in both revenue and members. He assisted with the athletic department’s $100 million part of the university’s successful $500 million “Changing Lives” capital campaign. He also was charged with implementing the new Ernie Barrett Athletic Endowment Society in 2006 and both a football and basketball donor seating plan in 2003 and 2007, respectively. (from the KSU athletics website)

In a time in which KSU is trying to raise more money, why in the hell would we let a guy go with this kind of success and the type of connections and relationships he's built over the last 10+ years? Are we just going to eliminate this position altogether? I highly doubt it! Instead, the only way this can be shown as a "budget cut" is to hire some greenhorn to come in, with no connections, with no relationships, with little to no experience, then pay whoever is hired for the first couple of years to learn on the job.

I've been in business for 10+ years on my own now, and I have to tell you, the biggest waste of money is to pay someone to learn on the job. That's for other people to do. THEN, you go pick someone's tree and steal away employees that have already learned the trade, that have already developed relationships, and that already have an understanding of the position you are hiring them for. All they are doing, is putting on a shirt with some other university's (company's) name.

Kurt was extremely involved with KSU men's basketball. And this dismissal did not make Frank Martin happy. Not at all. Kurt was involved in every business aspect at the AD. And the one he was best at, raising money, is what we need most now. And instead, let's just fire him and tell everyone we "saved money". Whatever, John.

All of these people are good friends of mine. And their dismissal from the AD affects me, not only personally, but professionally as well. So, not only do I have a stake in these decisions from a professional standpoint, I also have a stake in these decisions as a donor to the University. I want to see my money, that I work my ass off for, that I DONATE, spent wisely. So far, with these decisions, I don't see this as being a wise spending of my money.

Now, I'm not one to go off the deep end and say I'm not going to donate anymore or whatever. I just sent in my entire donation check a week ago...to beat the new deadline. Maybe this is another reason it weighs so heavily on my mind right now. (another tax appointment coming up)

I guess to sum it all up, the employees that were let go are going to have to be replaced by someone. You just can't eliminate the positions/things that they did. AND they did those jobs so well. All of the people that were let go were dyed in the wool K-Staters. I'm disappointed in that, above all else. All this talk from Currie about loyalty, etc. makes me sick in light of what has transpired in the last couple of weeks.

One thing is for sure. This was NOT a matter of "trimming the fat". If these firings are indeed going to be a "good thing" for the AD, then the place better be running more efficiently than it ever has in the past, or I'm going to be one pissed off donor.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 07, 2010, 06:41:18 PM »
Invite him here, to join the Section 17/Katpak militia

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 07, 2010, 06:46:48 PM »
I read that as someone who got mad his friends were hacked.  Anytime someone new takes over, the old guard is cut.  I was never impressed with the KSU ticket office, nor the custodial work.  It happens and people cry.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 07, 2010, 06:47:47 PM »
I guess I am still torn on this topic...

I certainly get it that things were really shitty under Wefald before, and outside blood is great for the program.  I like that Currie comes from UT, from a massive athletic department.  I like that Frank is getting paid.  I like that Currie has nothing at stake with OB, and is free to do whatever he wants when OB moves on...and is presumably free to determine when that happens.

Mostly, I just hope that we don't worry about Currie again for a long, long time.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 07, 2010, 06:50:43 PM »
I read that as someone who got mad his friends were hacked.  Anytime someone new takes over, the old guard is cut.  I was never impressed with the KSU ticket office, nor the custodial work.  It happens and people cry.

QFT on the custodial work.  Can't tell you how many times I left the upstairs men's room in Vanier just shaking my head in disgust. 

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 07, 2010, 06:52:36 PM »

I certainly get it that things were really shitty under Wefald before, and outside blood is great for the program.  I like that Currie comes from UT, from a massive athletic department.  I like that Frank is getting paid.  I like that Currie has nothing at stake with OB, and is free to do whatever he wants when OB moves on...and is presumably free to determine when that happens.

Mostly, I just hope that we don't worry about Currie again for a long, long time.

I hate him less today then I did yesterday.  The day ground is broken on the practice facility is the day that I may like him

BTW, Limestone, you know any uk grads that want to do the custodial work there for less?  Or would Currie/Old Ballz be too concerned about them spray painting the place before the game?

Offline kazzu

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 07, 2010, 06:53:54 PM »

Offline EuroCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 07, 2010, 07:00:06 PM »

I hate him less today then I did yesterday.  The day ground is broken on the practice facility is the day that I may like him

BTW, Limestone, you know any uk grads that want to do the custodial work there for less?  Or would Currie/Old Ballz be too concerned about them spray painting the place before the game?
Word is Currie has a costodial job flyer posted in the KU Law building.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 07, 2010, 07:01:50 PM »
That's funny stuff.

But let's reveiw . . . the one hot topic that all the powertards, and goemawtards wanted done . . . just got done.    In addition, Currie is very, very, very close to pulling off the largest singular facilities project in K-State history, and he may do it within 1 year of being on the job.    

What kind of "business" is that guy in??  Because I can tell you there's literally 1000's of people laid off every day who know how all the $hit works, they can do their jobs and 4 others backwards and forwards and back again.   But that's what happens when there's a regime change.  

Plus the guys' post basically said anyone that Currie has hired or will hire are or will be complete idiots who want know anything and will have to learn everything from scratch.   Did they purchase some kind of super customized highly proprietary ticket system??   When they hired Laird Veatch, did anyone think that somebody wasn't headed out the door??   So Kurt McGuffin is loved by everyone (that's not what I hear) and Laird Veatch couldn't carry his jockstrap.    Plus, don't get caught up in the $100 million dollar number.  That wasn't $100 million over and above average annual donations.   If you contributed money in order to renew your season football tickets, that counted towards the $100 million.    That's the way those campaigns work . . . they didn't raise $500 million for the university over and above what normal annual donations usually are.

I trust Dax on this topic.

So, to sum up, my feeling is that Currie is a very useful jerkoff....and, I am in agreement with Chicat about hugging it out with Currie when that practice facility gets built.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 07, 2010, 07:04:33 PM »

Why are you torn?  Those people should have been fired.  "Head custodian"?  The ticket office needs "administration"?  Developed an "emergency plan"?  Sounds like a bunch of gravy-training bullshit.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 07, 2010, 07:06:46 PM »
What I don't understand is why everyone is fixated with "what actually happened."  

Listen, turds.  You are never going to know "what actually happened."  We are but pawns, I choose to be an agressive pawn that lets the bigger pieces never forget that we can take them out of the game.  The Athletics Director more than any other position in any capacity at our beloved Kansas State (or any school), serves at the pleasure of the fans/donors.  Act like it!  I don't care what his precious little feelings are, he gets a generous salary and chose to be a public figure.  Whatever happened, someone on the inside felt like he wasn't doing his job when it came to Paying Frank.  I've said this before, but I don't really care if it was Katz the whole time as a bargaining move.  I don't care what the motivation was for the leak, my motivation was letting Frank know that this is his home and any goofy looking guy isn't going to screw it up.

I guess you can feel like you "knew it all along" or that you're looking at it "rationally" but I want to hear what the advantages are to carrying water for/sucking up to currie.  Did that Cabela's gift card buy anything for K-State Athletics?  I mean if I'm Garth, I guess I might suck up for access or if I had some business interest to cultivate...  But I'm not Garth, so I'll be the angry guy.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 07, 2010, 07:09:07 PM »
yeah, people are ticked off that their friends who had gravy train jobs got canned by the new guy.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 07, 2010, 07:10:18 PM »
I've heard grumblings that all of this was set into motion yesterday when Currie was viciously booed midcourt and two members of his staff were threatened and left the game early scared for their miserable lives.  I'm just proud of the 2 emaws that got this done.  Scource:  A-
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 07, 2010, 07:10:26 PM »

Why are you torn?  Those people should have been fired.  "Head custodian"?  The ticket office needs "administration"?  Developed an "emergency plan"?  Sounds like a bunch of gravy-training bullshit.

Oh, I'm fine with that stuff....or indifferent, at least.  Some people I respect don't think very highly of Currie, so that influences me quite a bit....but on the other hand some positive steps forward have been made in quite a few areas.

However, I believe Currie may end up getting a bit more credit than he deserves....I mean we were complete crap before he got here, not terribly difficult to improve the situation from absolute crap.  Happy that we are improving, though.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 07:13:56 PM by Pete »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 07, 2010, 07:15:18 PM »
Hey d00ds, Frank's got a new deal like we all wanted (outside of weird buyouts).  Pretty great, huh?

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 07, 2010, 07:16:16 PM »
Hey d00ds, Frank's got a new deal like we all wanted (outside of weird buyouts).  Pretty great, huh?

:weirdrobert:
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 07, 2010, 07:16:36 PM »

:runaway:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 07, 2010, 07:18:09 PM »
Oh, I'm fine with that stuff....or indifferent, at least.  Some people I respect don't think very highly of Currie, so that influences me quite a bit....but on the other hand some positive steps forward have been made in quite a few areas.

Why don't they respect him?

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 07, 2010, 07:19:02 PM »
What I don't understand is why everyone is fixated with "what actually happened."  

Listen, turds.  You are never going to know "what actually happened."  We are but pawns, I choose to be an agressive pawn that lets the bigger pieces never forget that we can take them out of the game.  The Athletics Director more than any other position in any capacity at our beloved Kansas State (or any school), serves at the pleasure of the fans/donors.  Act like it!  I don't care what his precious little feelings are, he gets a generous salary and chose to be a public figure.  Whatever happened, someone on the inside felt like he wasn't doing his job when it came to Paying Frank.  I've said this before, but I don't really care if it was Katz the whole time as a bargaining move.  I don't care what the motivation was for the leak, my motivation was letting Frank know that this is his home and any goofy looking guy isn't going to screw it up.

I guess you can feel like you "knew it all along" or that you're looking at it "rationally" but I want to hear what the advantages are to carrying water for/sucking up to currie.  Did that Cabela's gift card buy anything for K-State Athletics?  I mean if I'm Garth, I guess I might suck up for access or if I had some business interest to cultivate...  But I'm not Garth, so I'll be the angry guy.

KK, If you would have posted this like a long time ago, I probably would have found section 17 and joined you.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 07, 2010, 07:19:21 PM »
Maybe Currie is one of those assholes who actually gets crap done?   :dunno:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 07, 2010, 07:25:44 PM »

Speak for yourself SD:

Quote from: ChiCat on February 12th at 11:14:32 AM
I hope there are weird buyout clauses in there.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 07, 2010, 07:26:44 PM »
OMG this thread sucks monkey balls, you are all bitching at each other about who was right and who was wrong.

FRANK MARTIN IS OURS AND ISN'T GOING ANYWHERE.

:bball:

:doom:

Lock the thread or something.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 07, 2010, 07:29:13 PM »
you spelled mittens wrong.