Author Topic: Video games master thread  (Read 626078 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Video games master thread
« Reply #3850 on: July 22, 2013, 11:11:43 AM »
hahaha, dorks

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: July 22, 2013, 11:12:47 AM »

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: July 22, 2013, 11:37:42 AM »
My headset was super expensive, but totally worth it.

My power supply pooped out and I'm too poor in the summer to replace it, so I have to tough it out for another 2 weeks or so.  :cry:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: July 22, 2013, 02:39:46 PM »
While I'm waiting for my scheduled weekly virus scan to finish (it's never found anything harmful because I'm not a respect but I do it just to be safe) I am also waiting for a few 75% off games I bought from the Steam sale to finish downloading.  Too bad those who only use consoles can't participate in these wonderful sales.
So PC gaming is for poors?  Thanks for clearing that up.

Expensive hardware and cheap software (PC) or cheap hardware and expensive software (console)

It's better to spend the extra money on the system instead of the games
true, but you are playing on what, a 24" monitor with a couple of tinny computer speakers?  The consoles have the advantage of easily integrating into HT setups where you can really take advantage of what modern games offer, especially with the surround sound and sub-woofers. 

Not to mention there isn't really a good way to play a FPS on a couch or recliner with a keyboard and mouse.

30" monitor. And my headphones sound better than your speakers. :don'tcare:
You should get one of these for your office chair
http://www.thebuttkicker.com/gamer2.php

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Video games master thread
« Reply #3854 on: July 22, 2013, 10:48:38 PM »
While I'm waiting for my scheduled weekly virus scan to finish (it's never found anything harmful because I'm not a respect but I do it just to be safe) I am also waiting for a few 75% off games I bought from the Steam sale to finish downloading.  Too bad those who only use consoles can't participate in these wonderful sales.
So PC gaming is for poors?  Thanks for clearing that up.

Expensive hardware and cheap software (PC) or cheap hardware and expensive software (console)

It's better to spend the extra money on the system instead of the games
true, but you are playing on what, a 24" monitor with a couple of tinny computer speakers?  The consoles have the advantage of easily integrating into HT setups where you can really take advantage of what modern games offer, especially with the surround sound and sub-woofers. 

Not to mention there isn't really a good way to play a FPS on a couch or recliner with a keyboard and mouse.

I have a 23 inch monitor with two decent Logitech speakers and a sub-woofer.  I'm not an audiophile so that's good enough for me, and it's far from tinny.  They weren't expensive either ($40).  When I really want to be immersed I wear my Turtle Beach headset.  It's definitely possible to have surround sound with a gaming PC.  One of my best friends has surround sound set up for his PC.

After connecting my 360 to my monitor, I have a hard time playing consoles on screens much larger than that. IMO it's the perfect size for gaming.  You won't notice any jaggies/pixelation on a screen that size and it's small enough that you can instantly see everything going on without having to scan around the screen.  If you're going to play local multiplayer, yeah you need something larger.  But if you're just using it to play either single player or online stuff like sports games and CoD with your buddies, 23 inches is great.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3855 on: July 22, 2013, 10:53:08 PM »
oh ya man oh man, nothing better than a good immersion.  turtle beach's are the best for a boss immersion imo.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: July 22, 2013, 11:03:34 PM »
Yeah man, it's like I'm really killing the goblins and casting spells with my own two hands

Offline Jackstack99EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: July 22, 2013, 11:13:52 PM »
My birthday was right in the middle of the steam sale  :gocho:

Offline Jackstack99EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: July 22, 2013, 11:16:21 PM »
Also, who's got steam?

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: July 24, 2013, 01:00:30 AM »
i'm a) probably not very good at it and b) just playing randos, but FIFA doesn't seem very enjoyable to me online (disclaimer, generally as a rule i don't play any games online.  was heavy into the 'descent' scene way back when and that was my last real online experience).

pretty standard to just play against barcelona every single time, count on one of many garbage through balls to messi finally going in, and if you're lucky enough to outlast that then they just unplug the network cord as soon as you take the lead?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: July 24, 2013, 08:08:19 AM »
i'm a) probably not very good at it and b) just playing randos, but FIFA doesn't seem very enjoyable to me online (disclaimer, generally as a rule i don't play any games online.  was heavy into the 'descent' scene way back when and that was my last real online experience).

pretty standard to just play against barcelona every single time, count on one of many garbage through balls to messi finally going in, and if you're lucky enough to outlast that then they just unplug the network cord as soon as you take the lead?

If you play with a 4.5 star team or worse, you will almost never face barcelona. The game tries to match you up with teams that are roughly even. If you get into a game with a matchup that just isn't fair or if the connection is awful, you can quit within the first 5 minutes (game clock, not real time) of play and not receive an L. Once you get a few wins and move up a division or 2, the better players don't just quit as often, and you do get the W when they quit.

You just have to know that the through ball is coming, and if you can't stop it, you need to change the way you play. Keep your backs back and just let the ball move forward a little bit if attacking will open up a passing lane.

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: July 24, 2013, 08:24:47 AM »

If you play with a 4.5 star team or worse, you will almost never face barcelona. The game tries to match you up with teams that are roughly even. If you get into a game with a matchup that just isn't fair or if the connection is awful, you can quit within the first 5 minutes (game clock, not real time) of play and not receive an L. Once you get a few wins and move up a division or 2, the better players don't just quit as often, and you do get the W when they quit.

You just have to know that the through ball is coming, and if you can't stop it, you need to change the way you play. Keep your backs back and just let the ball move forward a little bit if attacking will open up a passing lane.

cool - wasn't really sure on the squad matchups... i assumed it just used your numerical level number or whatever, good to know.  strategy-wise the through ball spamming isn't a big deal to counter against, it's just super-annoying and not at all enjoyable.  guess i need to just suffer through the early level respects.  the few games i've played where it can't find anyone in your level and has to search out 20-30 levels have been much more enjoyable for me

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: July 24, 2013, 06:11:01 PM »
If you play with a 4.5 star team or worse, you will almost never face barcelona. The game tries to match you up with teams that are roughly even.

whew, much better :thumbs:

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: August 12, 2013, 04:12:25 PM »
saints row 4 next week.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: August 12, 2013, 07:31:25 PM »
im building a new PC, got frustrated w/ bioshock infinite lagging on me w/ max settings.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: August 12, 2013, 07:53:39 PM »
im building a new PC, got frustrated w/ bioshock infinite lagging on me w/ max settings.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125462

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: August 12, 2013, 07:54:29 PM »
And thus ends the PC/Console argument.

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: August 12, 2013, 08:07:41 PM »
And thus ends the PC/Console argument.

it's like a real life "asava camping video game" with computers

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: August 12, 2013, 08:09:18 PM »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125462
I actually got the 760 4GB. 770 wasn't worth it (imo)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: August 12, 2013, 09:09:26 PM »

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3870 on: August 12, 2013, 09:33:31 PM »
i like this case, reminds me of R2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133192

crap, alot going on there.

I did get a thermaltake tho:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133205

wanted a quiet case, mid tower.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: August 12, 2013, 09:42:10 PM »
that front shape reminds me of this one, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119023

i bought it about 8-9 yrs ago.  it's still sitting in my closet waiting for me to decide on the right mobo/cpu combo  :shakesfist:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: August 12, 2013, 09:45:52 PM »
What power supply should I get saul.  700-750 should be enough.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: August 12, 2013, 09:48:36 PM »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: August 12, 2013, 09:50:59 PM »
What power supply should I get saul.  700-750 should be enough.

rosewill 750w capstone modular, yw