Author Topic: Video games master thread  (Read 625469 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Video games master thread
« Reply #6550 on: November 25, 2020, 10:17:36 PM »
This is on my Christmas list, it comes with a NBA Jam barstool if you order it from Sam's Club. BTW, it's wifi enabled and has every version of NBA Jam

That is hot as sh1t

Just impulse bought this. I had an actual NBA Jam arcade game in my college house. It was a beast. Had to take the door off the hinges to get it in/out. This hits my nostalgia in all the right places.

Did you order from Sam's Club and get the free barstool? Also how good are the joysticks? I'm very concerned about them with NBA Jam. When I've seen these 1UP games in stores they look cheaply made.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6551 on: November 26, 2020, 05:22:15 AM »
This is on my Christmas list, it comes with a NBA Jam barstool if you order it from Sam's Club. BTW, it's wifi enabled and has every version of NBA Jam

That is hot as sh1t

Just impulse bought this. I had an actual NBA Jam arcade game in my college house. It was a beast. Had to take the door off the hinges to get it in/out. This hits my nostalgia in all the right places.

Did you order from Sam's Club and get the free barstool? Also how good are the joysticks? I'm very concerned about them with NBA Jam. When I've seen these 1UP games in stores they look cheaply made.

I did buy from Sam's Club, and yes it comes with the stool (though I'd be fine if it didn't). It now appears it should be delivered Friday. I will provide a report once I set it up and give it a test drive. Hopefully, that will be this weekend.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #6552 on: November 26, 2020, 03:14:35 PM »
My kid wants an xbox and I don't do video games so I have no idea. Apparently I'm not getting the new one since they are sold out and everyone is yelling about it on Twitter. Should I just get the Xbox One S and call it a day? He's like 8 so he won't even know the difference. Is there a chance of getting the new one before Santa comes with the minimal effort I will put towards finding one? Are there any significant issues with getting the One S since he is young and by the time he cares there will be another new console out anyway? Also, where should I get one and why do they still cost the same as the new version that everyone wants?

Thanks for the tips. 

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6553 on: November 26, 2020, 03:42:55 PM »
1. He’ll know the difference at 8, one of his bad person friends will have the new one
2. The Xbox is easier to get than the PS5.
3. Blame Greg
:adios:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6554 on: November 26, 2020, 04:01:10 PM »
If he's 8, go for the switch first or whatever his friends have as a backup. The switch is portable and has the Nintendo exclusives which are generally great for kids. The other differences between all of them don't matter. A one S is probably sub $200 right now if it's still available. I bought one for like $180 3 years ago.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #6555 on: November 26, 2020, 04:26:54 PM »
If he's 8, go for the switch first or whatever his friends have as a backup. The switch is portable and has the Nintendo exclusives which are generally great for kids. The other differences between all of them don't matter. A one S is probably sub $200 right now if it's still available. I bought one for like $180 3 years ago.

he has a switch, but the sports games are trash. I can't find a One S new for under $300. Is it stupid to buy that?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6556 on: November 26, 2020, 09:17:41 PM »
1. He’ll know the difference at 8, one of his bad person friends will have the new one
2. The Xbox is easier to get than the PS5.
3. Blame Greg

eff his friends

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6557 on: November 26, 2020, 09:19:09 PM »
allowing him to play online with his friends is a big deal though. remember playing tecmo super bowl with your dudes?

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #6558 on: November 27, 2020, 08:01:34 AM »
Bought a One S at Costco this morning. If I can score the new one I'll just take this one back. If not, oh wells. Irritated I basically paid full price for an old system though. Stores still seem to be squeezing you on the Xbox Ones knowing the new ones are sold out everywhere. Price is going to crash hard on the old ones after Christmas I would imagine. From my research, he will be fine with the One S. Regardless of the difference in graphics, it will be way better playing Fifa on this than a Switch. Looking forward to him playing it once every two months while it sits there next to his Switch!!!!!

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6559 on: November 27, 2020, 08:26:57 AM »
i would never let an 8 year old play online

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #6560 on: November 27, 2020, 08:47:01 AM »
i would never let an 8 year old play online

Yeah, I don't know how any of this works, but he will only be allowed to play with his friends. I'm not sure any of them even play online right now either so it won't matter. We have a pretty strict no weirdos rule with all online activity. Can't watch random people on youtube, no chatting on anything, etc.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6561 on: November 27, 2020, 10:01:09 AM »
allowing him to play online with his friends is a big deal though. remember playing tecmo super bowl with your dudes?

The new Xbox have games the previous one doesn't? Games an 8 year old has to have? Aren't these kids just playing Madden and FIFA?

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6562 on: November 27, 2020, 10:09:50 AM »
They are backwards compatible, but lots of games are still not cross platform. So a new/old Xbox can play together, but Xbox and ps can't.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6563 on: December 01, 2020, 09:30:35 AM »
Maybe dumb question:  What is so great about the PS5?  Like why does everyone want one so bad?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #6564 on: December 01, 2020, 09:40:12 AM »
Maybe dumb question:  What is so great about the PS5?  Like why does everyone want one so bad?
Uh ever heard of Eight Zen 2 Cores @ 3.5GHz with SMT (variable frequency) lol get real _33

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6565 on: December 01, 2020, 10:15:36 AM »
Uh ever heard of Eight Zen 2 Cores @ 3.5GHz with SMT (variable frequency) lol get real _33

Obviously everyone, including me, know exactly what these words mean.  Very easy to understand and if you don't I feel sorry for you honestly. I just thought maybe there was some new hot game coming out with it or something.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #6566 on: December 01, 2020, 10:54:40 AM »
The PS5  gives you an extra shade of gray-brown which totally changes everything.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6567 on: December 01, 2020, 12:03:31 PM »
Why wouldn't you want one? That's a much better question. You're welcome.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6568 on: December 01, 2020, 12:52:15 PM »
I bet _33 still plays Pong on his Atari LMAO
:adios:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6569 on: December 06, 2020, 04:58:36 PM »

That is hot as sh1t

I did buy from Sam's Club, and yes it comes with the stool (though I'd be fine if it didn't). It now appears it should be delivered Friday. I will provide a report once I set it up and give it a test drive. Hopefully, that will be this weekend.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6570 on: December 06, 2020, 06:27:43 PM »

That is hot as sh1t

Sorry! Spent the Friday after Thanksgiving painstakingly assembling it. It wasn't too bad, but I'm also the kind of person who likes putting together IKEA furniture. I did leave a huge mess of packaging in my wake. It's great! Although, I still haven't figured out why I can't access the online stuff (ERROR: cannot connect to the server). Don't care enough to figure out what's wrong, as I don't really care about that/those feature(s).

The game deck seems to be of good quality. The joysticks are solid and have some resistance to them. They seem like they will last. Other than that, the games are the games. The shot timing is a bit different than the one I used to own, but you get used to it. Happy to answer any specific questions you may have, but if you're on the fence I would say go for it.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6571 on: December 06, 2020, 07:07:40 PM »
Cool, good to hear. I also saw a 1UP Golden Tee, I might need to kick a kid out of a room to start collecting these things.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #6572 on: December 16, 2020, 01:54:37 PM »
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6573 on: December 16, 2020, 01:59:54 PM »
only change of me getting a new system is when/if a new gta comes out

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6574 on: December 17, 2020, 04:52:34 PM »
only change of me getting a new system is when/if a new gta comes out

Cyberpunk 2077 might scratch that itch.  Anyone playing it yet?