Author Topic: Video games master thread  (Read 625413 times)

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
Re: Video games master thread
« Reply #5750 on: January 23, 2018, 02:16:58 PM »
Anybody in on PUBG (PLAYERUNKOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS)?

So addictive.

I'm into it. It works well because I don't have the time to really build up a ranking with other games. I enjoy that I can hop on once a week and still be able to compete with the players who are on daily. Still need to invest in a headset so I can do squad.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5751 on: January 23, 2018, 02:31:43 PM »
I downloaded Fortnight last night and will be attempting my first match this evening. It sucks being months behind everyone cuz I'll prolly get murdered within 9 seconds.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5752 on: January 23, 2018, 02:40:50 PM »
I downloaded Fortnight last night and will be attempting my first match this evening. It sucks being months behind everyone cuz I'll prolly get murdered within 9 seconds.
Yeah.  It's hard to complain too much about this (because the battle royale mode is free), but allowing players a sandbox to get the hang of building would really help with the learning curve.  If you can't build quickly, you will lose, and the only way to get good at building right now is to practice in game. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5753 on: January 23, 2018, 02:43:05 PM »
Been really getting into Wii Tennis lately since our Mario Kart disc got scratched and won't work.  I am very good.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 03:02:10 PM by _33 »

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5754 on: January 23, 2018, 03:05:36 PM »
I played one round of fortnite a few weeks ago.  I dropped in and saw nobody for a long time. Just wandered around for like ten minutes, picked up a different gun or two. I think 75% of people were killed before me, but I have no idea what the objective/strategy is
:adios:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5755 on: January 23, 2018, 03:11:59 PM »
I played one round of fortnite a few weeks ago.  I dropped in and saw nobody for a long time. Just wandered around for like ten minutes, picked up a different gun or two. I think 75% of people were killed before me, but I have no idea what the objective/strategy is
much of the action occurs at or near "cities" or other points of interest where a lot of the loot is.  you can survive fairly deep into the game by sneaking around, but you generally need quite a bit of materials and some decent weapons to win in the lategame. to get those materials/weapons, you generally need to kill a few people.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5756 on: January 23, 2018, 03:20:11 PM »
much of the action occurs at or near "cities" or other points of interest where a lot of the loot is.  you can survive fairly deep into the game by sneaking around, but you generally need quite a bit of materials and some decent weapons to win in the lategame. to get those materials/weapons, you generally need to kill a few people.
Stay away from tilted towers at all cost

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5757 on: January 23, 2018, 03:25:47 PM »
I just wanna snipe fools.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5759 on: January 24, 2018, 12:54:32 AM »
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline detch23

• Fan
  • My Dire Wolf's name is Willie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5760 on: January 24, 2018, 07:46:06 AM »

So addictive.

How does it compare to Fortnight?  I am super good at Call of Duty Hardcore, because it’s one shot one kill for the most part.  I suck at Fortnight because I have trouble shooting someone 800 times to kill them.

Never played fortnight but PUBG is more realistic and I would guess more complex in the controls. Call of Duty Hardcore would be a pretty good comparison except you don't respawn. Up to 100 players in a match and it's last man/squad standing wins. Headshots are instakills and others take a few rounds.  You loot gear, meds, and weapons so everyone starts at the same level. Gear are things that reduce damage helmets, body armor. Meds are damage repair and boosts that build your health back over time. Weapons have different attachments like scopes, silencers, and extended mags.

I've never played a game that is more intense and panic inducing.

Offline detch23

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5761 on: January 24, 2018, 08:48:01 AM »

So addictive.

I'm into it. It works well because I don't have the time to really build up a ranking with other games. I enjoy that I can hop on once a week and still be able to compete with the players who are on daily. Still need to invest in a headset so I can do squad.

Yeah same here.. are you on PC or One?

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5762 on: January 24, 2018, 09:06:33 AM »

So addictive.

I've never owned a PC that could handle that type of game. I learned about PUBG from friend who just built his own high powered computer for gaming (so high powered that he uses it to mine cryptocurrency while he is at work). His refresh rate (or whatever it would be called) is so good that he can see in complete detail all of the buildings on the ground from the moment he jumps out of the plane.  :horrorsurprise: :love:

All that being said I play on the One. Every now and again it will kick me out and I have to go through the main screen to jump back in the game. One thing I have noticed with that is that when I load it back in the game has moved me to the corner of a wall or room as if to help protect me while I log back in. Otherwise I enjoy the crap out of it.

Offline mittons_kitten

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5763 on: January 25, 2018, 10:35:13 AM »
https://boingboing.net/2017/04/09/transparent-refurbished-super.html

want
Did you see you can buy kits to make the switch like this? They also have all the clear colors from the n64 days. It looks so great, but I am afraid I would wreck my switch trying to get it in the thing.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Offline mittons_kitten

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5764 on: January 25, 2018, 10:37:45 AM »

So addictive.
Just got it the other day! I like that I can have 0 idea what I am doing and can still luck my way into being halfway decent.

Offline detch23

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5765 on: January 25, 2018, 12:04:50 PM »

So addictive.

I've never owned a PC that could handle that type of game. I learned about PUBG from friend who just built his own high powered computer for gaming (so high powered that he uses it to mine cryptocurrency while he is at work). His refresh rate (or whatever it would be called) is so good that he can see in complete detail all of the buildings on the ground from the moment he jumps out of the plane.  :horrorsurprise: :love:

All that being said I play on the One. Every now and again it will kick me out and I have to go through the main screen to jump back in the game. One thing I have noticed with that is that when I load it back in the game has moved me to the corner of a wall or room as if to help protect me while I log back in. Otherwise I enjoy the crap out of it.

They have fixed this quite a bit since it was released but when it kicks you out whatever movement you were doing continues until you get back in. So you basically continue in a straight line until you run into something.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5766 on: January 25, 2018, 12:27:55 PM »
https://boingboing.net/2017/04/09/transparent-refurbished-super.html

want
Did you see you can buy kits to make the switch like this? They also have all the clear colors from the n64 days. It looks so great, but I am afraid I would wreck my switch trying to get it in the thing.

man up, hoyt

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5767 on: January 28, 2018, 12:18:13 AM »
Looking for chumps to smash on anything right now. Ps4 preferably

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5768 on: January 28, 2018, 07:40:32 AM »
lil sd is almost 5. is that too young to enjoy a Switch? like, can a 5 year old enjoy mario cart?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5769 on: January 28, 2018, 07:48:30 AM »
lil sd is almost 5. is that too young to enjoy a Switch? like, can a 5 year old enjoy mario cart?

He'd probably be OK with Mario Kart and some of the other Nintendo Mario type games, but I'd go for a DS 3D before a Switch.  See how that goes over, and get a feel for rules and crap like that.  You could go to Vintage Stock and pick up an old Nintendo Wii and a few used games that use the motion stuff (e.g. Wii sports, Star Wars lightsabers, the dancing stuff)  and he'd probably still lose his crap with excitement. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5770 on: January 28, 2018, 07:53:15 AM »
good tips pete. should note that essentially I want a switch for me to play mario cart and am using him as the excuse to get it but also hopefully we can bond a bit over me blasting him with red shells.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5771 on: January 28, 2018, 08:12:16 AM »
I got a Wii U when my boy was five. It was a bit hard for him at first. He was all in sometime between six and seven. Super fun. Bonding. Good times. Mario games are BITB. Lego games are also great and plenty easy enough for that age.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5772 on: January 28, 2018, 03:01:12 PM »
The switch is great just fyi. Also the switch labo looks like the coolest dad/kid thing in the entire world
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5773 on: January 28, 2018, 07:21:17 PM »
good tips pete. should note that essentially I want a switch for me to play mario cart and am using him as the excuse to get it but also hopefully we can bond a bit over me blasting him with red shells.

My 10 year old has a switch and love playing that game with him, and my 13 year old daughter.  It gets pretty intense.  At christmas it was quite a battle with the cousins.  Best part about the switch is that you can easily take it with you, so if it's getting boring at the old family reunion, just bust it out and put it on their tv.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5774 on: January 29, 2018, 10:23:23 AM »
I started playing Mario kart when I was 4 and it is still one of my all time favorites games to play