Author Topic: Wow, how good is McGruder? Pretty damn good.  (Read 4066 times)

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Wow, how good is McGruder? Pretty damn good.
« on: January 11, 2012, 11:26:45 PM »
He boards. he hits 3's. he plays solid d. he gets to the line and makes a decent clip.  and now he is creating off the dribble and has developed a killer slashing game.  you can pretty much count it any time he puts up a runner in the paint.  awesome. 

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Wow, how good is McGruder? Pretty damn good.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 11:44:42 PM »
Approaching banner status.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 11:45:43 PM »
He doesn't get to the line, he's actually historically bad at at it as much as he has the ball in his hands.  He only attempts 3 FTs per game, the team has 27 attempts per.  That's 11% of our attempts.  He leads the team in minutes, has a huge lead in FGA, and is 4th in rebounding.  His free throw attempts are stunning and a weird statistical anomaly.

But yes he's awesome.  Can't wait for the meltdown though when he has a 5 point 3 rebound game, he's had a wonderful stretch and I'm already hearing people mention 1st team all Big 12.  Still think that talk is premature.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 11:55:29 PM »
I loved him when he was a freshman and it has never stopped.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 11:59:50 PM »
Ever since that Texas game.  :love:

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 12:01:42 AM »

Do you remember when he dunked to seal it?  :D

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 12:02:58 AM »

Boy do I!

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 12:04:30 AM »

Yes, he showed amazing athleticism.  LOL that one of our dumbass fans started a thread this year about being surprised by his oop ability.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 12:19:54 AM »
He doesn't get to the line, he's actually historically bad at at it as much as he has the ball in his hands.  He only attempts 3 FTs per game, the team has 27 attempts per.  That's 11% of our attempts.  He leads the team in minutes, has a huge lead in FGA, and is 4th in rebounding.  His free throw attempts are stunning and a weird statistical anomaly.

But yes he's awesome.  Can't wait for the meltdown though when he has a 5 point 3 rebound game, he's had a wonderful stretch and I'm already hearing people mention 1st team all Big 12.  Still think that talk is premature.

I'm more talking about his play since turning it on in the LBSU game.  Sure, he isn't getting to the line at some outstanding clip but it is a significant increase, and I suspect it will only improve as teams grow weary of his ability on the drive and in the lane.  I think we will see a dramatic increase in his FTR in conference play as compared to previous seasons.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 12:39:34 AM »
The thing about Rod is that he is great at avoiding contact in the lane. Which is great for not being called for charging and he seems to finish well without contact, but it means we won't get too the line as much.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 12:56:49 AM »
The thing about Rod is that he is great at avoiding contact in the lane. Which is great for not being called for charging and he seems to finish well without contact, but it means we won't get too the line as much.

I've noticed this too. Very controlled.

Offline That_Guy

• I'm just, "That Guy!"
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 01:01:49 AM »

this. I know when you should a basketball you really only use one hand to shoot, the other for support, but in the lane, McGruder says f*ck the support. I'll just do this with one hand completely.

Anyone else notice this? No?  :dunno:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 01:05:25 AM »

I'm more talking about his play since turning it on in the LBSU game.  Sure, he isn't getting to the line at some outstanding clip but it is a significant increase

No it isn't.  His attempts since Diamond Head are 4,0,7,0,2,4,8.  That's 4 a game.  Take out the outliers of 0,7,0,8 and look what you have.  Like I said, statistical anomaly.  His lack of FTAs aren't an indication of anything he's doing wrong, he's clearly taking the ball to the rim.  I'm not selling him out because he isn't shooting FTs but it is inaccurate to say his attempts are significantly increasing.  It will get better, a FTr of 27.2 at this point in the season has no where to go but up.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 01:07:44 AM »

When you're taking the ball to the basket you don't have a great deal of say whether or not someone fouls you.  There are normally about 6 bodies within 1 or 2 steps of your destination,  Not sure what part of statistical anomaly you guys aren't getting.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 01:23:41 AM »

When you're taking the ball to the basket you don't have a great deal of say whether or not someone fouls you.  There are normally about 6 bodies within 1 or 2 steps of your destination,  Not sure what part of statistical anomaly you guys aren't getting.

Rodney attacks the goal the complete opposite way Jamar does. The offensive player can definitely initiate contact and still draw fouls, Rod chooses not to.

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 12:59:41 PM »

Rodney attacks the goal the complete opposite way Jamar does. The offensive player can definitely initiate contact and still draw fouls, Rod chooses not to.
If Jamar didn't draw contact all you would be left with is a clank, so contact works better for him
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline 1albatross

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 01:25:20 PM »
Jamar goes up like a pussy!

Rod takes it up strong as well as shooting his floaters.  Very odd that he doesn't get fouled more imo.

Love the fact that Rod has emerged as our goto player this year!  This team needed 1. 

I do have one thing that Rod needs to improve upon and that is his range.  He needs to be able to hit 3's from 3-4 feet beyond the line.  I can count on 1 hand how many 3's I have seen Rod make that weren't within a foot of the line.  Doesn't seem comfortable unless he is right on the line. 

This would give him a ton more shots and also open up his driving even more. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 01:33:28 PM »

Rod takes it up strong as well as shooting his floaters.  Very odd that he doesn't get fouled more imo.

Love the fact that Rod has emerged as our goto player this year!  This team needed 1. 

I do have one thing that Rod needs to improve upon and that is his range.  He needs to be able to hit 3's from 3-4 feet beyond the line.  I can count on 1 hand how many 3's I have seen Rod make that weren't within a foot of the line.  Doesn't seem comfortable unless he is right on the line. 

What a stupid rough ridin' post, albatross.

no offense

Offline 1albatross

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 01:39:25 PM »

Rod takes it up strong as well as shooting his floaters.  Very odd that he doesn't get fouled more imo.

Love the fact that Rod has emerged as our goto player this year!  This team needed 1.  

I do have one thing that Rod needs to improve upon and that is his range.  He needs to be able to hit 3's from 3-4 feet beyond the line.  I can count on 1 hand how many 3's I have seen Rod make that weren't within a foot of the line.  Doesn't seem comfortable unless he is right on the line.  

no offense

No offense taken, but please explain why...b/c of my venom towards JamSam???  Before the season, I thought Jamar should be the best player on the team, but he always seems to go up soft when he plays agains guys that are bigger than him.  He does get to the ft line a ton, but it is rarely for an and 1.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 01:43:44 PM »

If Jamar didn't draw contact all you would be left with is a clank, so contact works better for him

I wasn't arguing that Rod's way was better, just pointing out the offensive player definitely has control over the amount of contact.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 01:49:29 PM »
I think the KU game was good for Rod. It was a game against a good team and he was the only one who could do anything, and he did it pretty well. IMO he's been a different player since about halftime of that game.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 02:12:12 PM »

Rod takes it up strong as well as shooting his floaters.  Very odd that he doesn't get fouled more imo.

Love the fact that Rod has emerged as our goto player this year!  This team needed 1.  

I do have one thing that Rod needs to improve upon and that is his range.  He needs to be able to hit 3's from 3-4 feet beyond the line.  I can count on 1 hand how many 3's I have seen Rod make that weren't within a foot of the line.  Doesn't seem comfortable unless he is right on the line.  

no offense

No offense taken, but please explain why...b/c of my venom towards JamSam???  Before the season, I thought Jamar should be the best player on the team, but he always seems to go up soft when he plays agains guys that are bigger than him.  He does get to the ft line a ton, but it is rarely for an and 1.

He doesn't go up like a pussy.  There's a difference between scared and short.  Not sure how someone who gets as many looks as he does inside of 3 feet and draws as many fouls as he does and be considered a pussy.  People get pissed because he commits a lot of fouls but then calls him soft.  It can't be both ways.  He posts as hard as anyone you'll see.  Everyone is bigger than he is.  He's a 4 or 5 in the body of a three.

Also no one needs to develop a range of 3-4 feet behind the line, that's absurd.  If Rodney had that he'd be getting paid to play right now and he'd be pulling good minutes in the NBA.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 02:22:11 PM »
when you shoot it close to the line, you know where you are and are more consistent.  When you start moving out, you start guessing more and percentage goes way done.  Also, you're further away, so thats working against you and all.

No offense though albatross.  All things being equal, I would love to see him develop a half court shot

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 02:29:57 PM »
a friend of mine emailed a rant about Jamar saying he was a physical freak and thus should be dominant.  i had to remind him that he is an undersized 4 who (tuesday night) played against a front line of nba lottery picks.  those guys on Baylor are the definition of freaks:  the size and athleticism of Jones and Miller with the cherry that is Acy on top of that.  ha.  just dunk it on those guys Jamar.  it looks so easy.

eff you hating cockholes. 

sincerely,

mcmwcat

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 02:32:47 PM »
mods, please rename board to the "Jamar layup discussion" board. TIA.