Author Topic: Conference Power Rankings  (Read 7349 times)

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Conference Power Rankings
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2011, 10:23:24 AM »
Here's what I like about this team at this point:

1.  Offense seems to be ahead of where it is most years. Still has its hiccups, but there seems to be more fluidity and purpose than we've seen in December.

2.  Seem to be playing above the rim more. Good sign for overall athleticism and may also mean 1) offense is creating easier opportunities 2) guys are being more assertive and getting better position.

3.  Seems like we've got a couple of new defensive wrinkles that have been positive so far.  More halfcourt trapping than I remember in the past?

4.  Several games lately where second-teamers have held/extended lead. Of course, this is a mixed bag as sometimes the first-teamers haven't been as effective as they should be, and less of a gap between the two can mean that the first teamers aren't as good as they should be. Still, at this point I'd give the edge to our bench being improved, rather than our starters not being very good.

5.  Related to 4, seems like we have a number of guys who can step up. As we saw in Hawaii, this can make it tough for other teams to decide on a defensive strategy. Gipson struggled when teams started focusing on him, but Jamar and DOB have benefited and once teams focus on them, Gipson's play should receive a boost. Same thing with Angel/Sprads/Gruds. If 1.5 of those guys can be "on" each game, we'll win quite a few.

I am pretty excited about this.  As much as I consider Pullen my hero, it's almost like this team is better prepared as a tournament team without him.  As Fran put it in the Baylor game last night... addition by subtraction.  There is no pressure on one guy to score, and I think we have 5 different guys that can step up on any given night.   The defense and offensive flow is the best I have seen from any of Frank's teams at this point in the season.  If this year is anything like the past seasons, we could be in for a fun ride! 

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2011, 10:45:49 AM »
I hate that we are going to lose in Stillwater again :(

Offline bigwillie20

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • #FYJC #burnitdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2011, 10:47:20 AM »
I hate that we are going to lose in Stillwater again :(

rough ridin' pigboy will hit 10 3's

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2011, 11:21:08 AM »

1.  Offense seems to be ahead of where it is most years. Still has its hiccups, but there seems to be more fluidity and purpose than we've seen in December.

2.  Seem to be playing above the rim more. Good sign for overall athleticism and may also mean 1) offense is creating easier opportunities 2) guys are being more assertive and getting better position.

3.  Seems like we've got a couple of new defensive wrinkles that have been positive so far.  More halfcourt trapping than I remember in the past?

4.  Several games lately where second-teamers have held/extended lead. Of course, this is a mixed bag as sometimes the first-teamers haven't been as effective as they should be, and less of a gap between the two can mean that the first teamers aren't as good as they should be. Still, at this point I'd give the edge to our bench being improved, rather than our starters not being very good.

5.  Related to 4, seems like we have a number of guys who can step up. As we saw in Hawaii, this can make it tough for other teams to decide on a defensive strategy. Gipson struggled when teams started focusing on him, but Jamar and DOB have benefited and once teams focus on them, Gipson's play should receive a boost. Same thing with Angel/Sprads/Gruds. If 1.5 of those guys can be "on" each game, we'll win quite a few.

Frank's pressure the ball/get beat/protect the lane defensive strategy seems to be working as well as it ever has. Right now opponents are only shooting 41.5% on 2 point shots, which is 6% better than any other Frank team. It helps that we are also defending threes really well, only allowing 27.7%, also a Frank best. And a Frank best 13.6% block percentage. All of this while still staying at Frank averages forcing TOs at a 23% clip and OR percentage given up of 33.3%. Granted, the offensive points per possesion of our opponents is .99, only #225 in the country. Still, the defense has been very good so far, to go along with good offense.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2011, 11:29:40 AM »

Surprisingly, I agree.  Up until the WVU game, I assumed this season would be business as usual regarding the offense.  Stagnant, senseless movement, lot of dribbling, 2 foot hot-potatoe passes on the perimeter. 

Since WVU, however, it seems like we're moving a lot better on the floor.  Spacing is good.  Getting open shots.  Isolating bigs on the block. 

Yep, it's a fact, I've been entertained.   

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2011, 11:38:45 AM »
While K-State fans have always complained about Frank's offense it's always been very efficient where it counts; points per possession. Once again it is in the Top 50 in the country at 1.09 ppp. Only once has Frank's offense finished outside the Top 50, and that was in 09 at #65. In fact, right now this is Frank's worst efficiency, essentially tied with that 09 team. The biggest problem right now is hitting perimeter shots.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2011, 11:39:36 AM »
If we are just going to seemingly arbitrarily pick KU to win because they've won before why not pick UT?

1) kenpom,  2) ku beat gtown and osu, ut best win is temple.  mu's killed everyone but illinois.

look, i don't trust any of the teams, and kstate absolutely has a shot.  but if i'm going to crown any of these flawed teams, ku makes more sense than any of the others.  the only thing i'm sure of is that baylor isn't winning the big 12 trying to keep 3 power fowards on the court at the same time.

Don't disagree with any of this.  OSU gets an *.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2011, 11:44:21 AM »

Frank's pressure the ball/get beat/protect the lane defensive strategy seems to be working as well as it ever has. Right now opponents are only shooting 41.5% on 2 point shots, which is 6% better than any other Frank team. It helps that we are also defending threes really well, only allowing 27.7%, also a Frank best. And a Frank best 13.6% block percentage. All of this while still staying at Frank averages forcing TOs at a 23% clip and OR percentage given up of 33.3%. Granted, the offensive points per possesion of our opponents is .99, only #225 in the country. Still, the defense has been very good so far, to go along with good offense.

Considering the offenses we've played, is it really worth getting excited about our opponents' shooting percentages?

Excited for our forced TO% to get a nice buffer after playing Turnover Taylor and the Fightin' Jayhawks.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2011, 11:45:06 AM »

Yep, it's a fact, I've been entertained.   

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2011, 11:47:20 AM »
Considering the offenses we've played, is it really worth getting excited about our opponents' shooting percentages?

Excited for our forced TO% to get a nice buffer after playing Turnover Taylor and the Fightin' Jayhawks.

I think 6% better on 2 pt defense is statistically significant, even with the strength of the opposing offenses.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »
do you think the Defensive eFG% will eventually even out to normal Frank range? i mean #8 right now, and the previous highest rank is #80

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2011, 11:56:21 AM »
do you think the Defensive eFG% will eventually even out to normal Frank range? i mean #8 right now, and the previous highest rank is #80

Probably, but we'll see. The Big 12 does have 7 Top 50 offenses. But there are also 3 pretty bad offenses that we'll have 6 games against.

Offline ECO_CAT

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2011, 10:02:41 PM »
Is everyone on this board Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)? I think we beat ku mu and baylor to start the season. I have no idea why all you "fans" think we look bad?

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2011, 08:00:46 AM »
sys confirmed:

Big 12 (Kansas, 33%)

Much like with the NEC, I don’t think too many people expected Kansas to be the favorite here, what with the loss to Davidson. But the Big 12 is clearly the conference race most up for grabs. Not only do you have the trio of conference power brokers

Kansas      3312
Missouri    3263
Baylor      2086
Texas        723
Kansas St.   567
Oklahoma      31
Oklahoma St.  11
Texas A&M      4
Iowa St.       3

http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/2012_conference_previews_the_last/

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2011, 10:37:52 AM »
Is everyone on this board Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)? I think we beat ku mu and baylor to start the season. I have no idea why all you "fans" think we look bad?

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2011, 10:51:34 AM »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2011, 11:08:45 AM »
Also, A&M's court? woof

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2012, 11:38:51 AM »

Offline skycat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2012, 12:44:30 PM »
Updated conference power rankings.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/43445/big-12-power-rankings-3

I love all the butthurt squawk comments.

Also,

It will be interesting to see what Oklahoma State’s administration decides to do with fourth-year coach Travis Ford if things don’t get better.

Indeed. And it will be interesting to see how much money Pickens offers Self to coach at his alma mater. He'd be crazy to turn it down.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2012, 04:35:55 PM »
http://ouhoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24359

poor, loyal conference partner osu, it should have been missouri.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."