Author Topic: _FANframes; Thompson's big catch and Hubert's big runs...  (Read 1592 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
_FANframes; Thompson's big catch and Hubert's big runs...
« on: December 04, 2011, 12:11:45 PM »

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 12:54:16 PM by ksu_FAN »

Offline Perry

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: _FANframes; Thompon's big catch and Hubert's big runs...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 12:20:48 PM »
 :love:

Offline wazucat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 12:31:36 PM »
What a season, thanks for adding so much FBIQ to our enjoyment.  :gocho:

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 12:37:28 PM »
On the throw to Tremaine, what are the two extra linebackers doing for ISU?  Obviously the two safeties are in man on Tremaine and the tight end. The right outside backer should have responsibility on Hubert. That leaves the middle and left outside linebacker. They appear to drop into a middle zone. Just wanted to confirm that I was understanding that right....

catzacker

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 12:38:43 PM »
I know that Hubert's TD was off the zone read, but it appears he's been entirely more effective running the ball between the tackles since the Miami game.  I dunno.  Maybe that's not an accurate perception.  

also, wish dimel/miller/snyder would have gone with the zombie formation on 1st and goal at the 2 (when we had to settle for a FG).  ISU's DL was just dive bombing our OL and we got no push.  

Loved the new wrinkled on the counter action, was a perfect call.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 12:46:04 PM »
:love:

Like trying to drink from a firehose of FBIQ.

_Fascinating.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 12:50:32 PM »
On the throw to Tremaine, what are the two extra linebackers doing for ISU?  Obviously the two safeties are in man on Tremaine and the tight end. The right outside backer should have responsibility on Hubert. That leaves the middle and left outside linebacker. They appear to drop into a middle zone. Just wanted to confirm that I was understanding that right....

Based on our drive to finish the 1st half, I don't think ISU accounted for Hubert much in the passing game. Their front 7 there looks to have run first, run second, and maybe think about pass if you see it. Once they read pass, they likely just drop to "wall off" any type of crossing routes and take away inside curls.

I know that Hubert's TD was off the zone read, but it appears he's been entirely more effective running the ball between the tackles since the Miami game.  I dunno.  Maybe that's not an accurate perception.  

also, wish dimel/miller/snyder would have gone with the zombie formation on 1st and goal at the 2 (when we had to settle for a FG).  ISU's DL was just dive bombing our OL and we got no push.  

Loved the new wrinkled on the counter action, was a perfect call.

On Hubert, I think part of that was his health and part how teams defended us. Plus, ISU just doesn't have the team speed to easily take away Hubert to the edge like most of the rest of the Big 12 defenses so it was a good match-up for him to get the edge.

I agree completely on the 1st and goal from the 3. I would've come out and run single wing/zombie and power on first down. Then speed option on 2nd down if we didn't get any yards. Sneak is automatic from the 1, but from the 3 and 2 I just didn't think it made sense. I actually liked the speed option on 3rd down, but Klein tried to cut off his inside foot which will almost always cause a slip on wet turf; got to cut off the outside foot in that situation.

And the counter wrinkle was a great call. We did run it again later in the drive but Tannehill (I believe) completely wiffed on his block the 2nd time. But it was set up the exact same way and should've went for a score.

We made a great adjustment as the game went along. Notice that ISU often lined up 2 of their linebackers to the strong (TE) side of our formations, we really exploited that several different ways.