Author Topic: #kstatedefensemvp  (Read 4612 times)

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: #kstatedefensemvp
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2011, 01:47:55 AM »
Our defense, while no great shakes, has improved in just enough little ways to help us win this year.

*  Defense of WR screens...good technique in pushing the blocking WR into the ball WR, limiting the gains to 2-3 yards most of the time. These are plays where really crappy defenses give up 15-20-60 yard gains.

*  Clogging middle in the run game. Really improved from last few years.

*  AB there to clean up outside runs...also good help from DBs.

*  Safeties able to make picks. Thought this would be an advantage tonight, and it was. Safeties struggle against good, tight, catch-and-run offenses b/c of athletic disadvantage. But when the QB starts sailing passes over the middle, safeties can make some big turnovers.

*  Corners able to make enough solid plays in coverage. Last couple of weeks, have come up with some big incompletions, besides the interceptions.

Not  a great defense, but they've been able to improve enough in these areas to get us to 9 wins.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2011, 02:00:57 AM »
This defense sucks ass statistically, but when it comes down to situational play, they have been money. That has defined this season, imo.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2011, 02:34:36 AM »
Hate to be that guy but I'd have to think the offenses we face most weeks would skew the stats of most defenses in the nation.  Nice that we've been able to mix it up with high scoring teams one week and then win  a tough defensive battle on the road the next.  (Against a ranked UT team that likely has as much talent as any other team in the nation.  Too bad their QBs suck ball.)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2011, 09:55:31 AM »
I thought it was somewhat obvious that we were trying to protect Klein from taking hits. It's hard to do when he believes in taking sacks over throwing the ball away, though. Most of the abuse he has taken this season is his fault alone. I still love him, though.

He does hold it too long, but our offensive line is not great at pass blocking and often gets whipped with speed rushes off the edge.

Offline bigwilliestyle1407

• Combo-Fan
  • "when the eff did we get ice cream?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2011, 11:13:01 AM »
I agree when you look at the Offenses that we have faced, I'm not sure your Defence could look good statisiticly.... We saw how good Texas D is and look what O.U did too them.
"Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
 John Wooden

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Re: #kstatedefensemvp
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2011, 11:14:19 AM »
Going back to the well with 2ys being pretty awful

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2011, 11:18:08 AM »
2y has been pretty solid against the run.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2011, 11:41:55 AM »
Yeah, 2Y is solid against the run.  I think some people assume that a player must be great in every facet to be a valuable player.  Looking back, a dude like Cooper  was also pretty terrible against the pass.  He had a lot more components around him to mask this and didn't face 50+ passes a game like 2Y does though.  Still, for a dude like Tysyn to have started as many games as he has and battled through all sorts of injuries (or whatever), you'd have to say he's been a pretty darn valuale guy for us.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2011, 07:49:11 PM »
This defense sucks ass statistically, but when it comes down to situational play, they have been money. That has defined this season, imo.

Yep. It's amazing how they can get stops when it's absolutely dire. Clutch does not even describe some of the stops and turnovers we've gotten to win games.

Offline bigwilliestyle1407

• Combo-Fan
  • "when the eff did we get ice cream?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2011, 08:07:58 PM »

Yep. It's amazing how they can get stops when it's absolutely dire. Clutch does not even describe some of the stops and turnovers we've gotten to win games.

Honestly thats the best way to decribe this team  is as clutch....... minus the end of the okie lite game......... when they have to.... they do.
"Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
 John Wooden

Offline swish1

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2011, 08:55:40 PM »
Yeah, 2Y is solid against the run.  I think some people assume that a player must be great in every facet to be a valuable player.  Looking back, a dude like Cooper  was also pretty terrible against the pass.  He had a lot more components around him to mask this and didn't face 50+ passes a game like 2Y does though.  Still, for a dude like Tysyn to have started as many games as he has and battled through all sorts of injuries (or whatever), you'd have to say he's been a pretty darn valuale guy for us.

when 2y's plays for years in the league you can compare him to cooper...  until then you look like an idiot.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2011, 11:03:44 PM »
Sooo, you saying Coop was great in coverage?  You're asking me to see the future while ignoring the past.  Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).

Offline BleedingPurple7

• Fan
  • The nearest exit may be behind you
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2011, 02:30:38 AM »
Sooo, you saying Coop was great in coverage?  You're asking me to see the future while ignoring the past.  Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).

No, but he is saying no safety gets drafted (and actually plays a full career) who flat out sucks in coverage.