Author Topic: Killing animals  (Read 144982 times)

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Killing animals
« Reply #1600 on: December 13, 2020, 09:39:00 PM »
I doubt the dog killed a rooster either now. My guess is the dog found the head/feathers of the rooster I killed a couple of weeks ago and threw in the windbreak behind the house after I had cleaned it.

Why wouldn't a dog kill a rooster? Also, if there was anything left of it then it was most likely a dog.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: December 13, 2020, 10:01:16 PM »
I doubt the dog killed a rooster either now. My guess is the dog found the head/feathers of the rooster I killed a couple of weeks ago and threw in the windbreak behind the house after I had cleaned it.

Why wouldn't a dog kill a rooster? Also, if there was anything left of it then it was most likely a dog.

Guess its possible but doubtful in my limited farm/hunting experience. I'm having dinner with the parents tomorrow so I'll ask where the rooster kill was to see if it was where I dumped the leftovers.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: December 25, 2020, 08:20:17 PM »
So Milo snagged a rooster all by herself today. (crippled)

Was driving out to the cat ranch and decided to hunt some WIHA near Wakeeny on the way. We were walking through some shin high CRP and Milo stopped and started smelling some grass for a couple of seconds. I was standing right next to her and didn't see any thing then BOOM, a rooster bolts out of the grass and tries to fly unsuccessfully then takes off running.

Milo chased it around the field as it kept trying to fly before she finally pinned it down. Probably only lasted about 20 seconds but felt like forever as I was just standing there trying to figure out what the hell to do. I couldn't shoot it since Milo was right next to it so I just had to watch them run around like tom and jerry.

I inspected the bird after it was dead and it did not look like it had been shot but one of it's wings was broken.

I haven't even shot my gun yet and I already have a bird in the bag  :gocho:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: December 26, 2020, 07:30:57 PM »
Got 2 more roosters today, Milo is turning into a decent bird dog...when she doesn't get all jacked up on bird scent and ignores the shock collar as she guns it through a field flushing every bird 100 yards away from me.

It's her first year hunting so I'll cut her some slack, great times 10/10

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: December 26, 2020, 09:18:19 PM »
Clothes lines on the farm remind me of wind blown jeans and overalls.  So stiff you could stand them in the corner.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: December 26, 2020, 11:21:43 PM »
Clothes lines on the farm remind me of wind blown jeans and overalls.  So stiff you could stand them in the corner.

Tom

:lol:

Sometimes  my dad will hang his clothes out there....I asked him why since we have a dryer in the basement....he said it was to save on electricity costs...which is like .50 a load at most? Whatever, live your best life.

Works great as a pheasant hanger since there are all sorts of hooks/etc on there. Hopefully I can fill every crevice with a pheasant before I leave on Wednesday...Rumor has it a snow storm is rolling in on mon/tue so things are looking good.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: December 28, 2020, 08:21:08 PM »
A couple of our farm hunters had a good day.

Tom

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: December 28, 2020, 08:25:23 PM »
Very nice, is that field hunting on wheat?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: December 28, 2020, 08:34:14 PM »
Very nice, is that field hunting on wheat?
Reclaimed quarry ground with several large ponds.

Tom

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: December 29, 2020, 09:58:08 AM »

Tom

Jeans and overalls from the clothesline are the best.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: January 14, 2021, 12:19:26 AM »
Going back out to the former cat ranch the last weekend of January to get one more hunt in but I wanted to share some LOL stories from the week between christmas/new years with my buds.

So Milo and I got 3 birds the first 2 days...then a snow storm rolled in. GREAT!

So it snows about 2 inches out in NW Kansas, not many birds this year but with the snow you can follow their tracks! I'm hunting some CRP next to a corn field and see some tracks going into the CRP so I follow them about 30 yards zigging and zagging in the CRP while Milo is doing her own thing...Then I lose the tracks.

I walk back a bit and follow the tracks until they end at the same spot...HMMM, where is this bird....I sit there for about 30 seconds trying to find more tracks when BOOM, MOTHER F'N ROOSTER FLIES UP RIGHT AT MY FACE. I literally could of kicked the dam bird if I knew where it was.

Anyways I missed the first shot because I was as flustered as Doc Sadler recruiting at an AAU tournament. By the time I was ready to make my second shot the bird was flying flat across the gulley and Milo was in hot pursuit and I didn't feel like peppering her.

Whatever, I'm sure I'll find some more pheasant tracks in the snow!

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: January 14, 2021, 12:37:30 AM »
Sure enough at the same WIHA I found multiple pheasant tracks running along the edge of the corn/crp and followed them for about 1 mile under some power lines....Eventually the tracks head into the CRP and I go investigate.

I tracked them for a bit then lost them...going by my previous experience I figured they were hunkered down in the CRP. I called my trusty bird dog Milo over and she made a pass but nothing happened...Then BOOM

Three hens flush right from my face while I'm standing there. Dam birds are pretty stealthy!

To make things worse when I was walking back Ice started falling off the power lines so I had to constantly keep Milo out of the CRP so she didn't get impaled by an icicle.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: January 14, 2021, 01:12:25 AM »
After walking 5 miles throughout the day and dodging falling ice I finally made it back to the cat ranch and decided I was done hunting. I chilled out for an hour or two then around 4pm I decided I should clean the 3 pheasants I already killed.

Before I get to the next part just let me say that I hunt the "HOMESTEAD/Windbreak" area of the cat ranch a couple of times a day. Usually once in the morning and again around lunch then around sunset...didnt see one bird in 3 days.

So I'm bare handed in 30 degree weather pulling guts out of some dead pheasants when I hear some cackles off in the distance near the cattle pens...WTF, LETS GET SOME MORE PHEASANTS!

My hands are freezing but I know I can get some at least 1 more rooster so I grab my shotgun out of the back of my vehicle and start heading that direction....

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: January 14, 2021, 01:31:40 AM »
Shotgun in my freezing cold hands I start creeping south along the diagonal windbreak to where I think I heard the cackles...As I turn the corner I see some tracks in the snow...this is it! No cattle or mini ponies in sight! Just 2 roosters strutting around by a fence! I could feel the adrenaline surging through my EMAW blood as I pulled the shotgun up to my shoulder and drew a bead on the pheasant in flight 10 yards away from me....

I pulled the trigger and heard a loud CLICK! Pumped it again and CLICK!

Yup, there were no shells in the shotgun.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 04:34:43 PM by ben ji »

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1614 on: January 14, 2021, 04:04:59 PM »

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: January 14, 2021, 04:20:50 PM »
A fun thing I do to infuriate my dad is call shotgun shells bullets. Also call diesel gas. Cross post from farming thread there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: January 14, 2021, 04:22:13 PM »
Also all cattle are cows obv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: January 21, 2021, 02:15:50 PM »
Finally

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: January 21, 2021, 10:52:59 PM »
@The1BigWillie this is the moment you have been waiting your whole life for.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: January 22, 2021, 08:17:52 AM »
Ran over a little birdie in my driveway the other day.   :cry: Didn't squish him, but just got enough of him apparently.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1620 on: January 29, 2021, 07:39:14 PM »
Finally remembered how to shoot and dropped the only 2 rooster's I saw this afternoon. Milo and the snow were a big help.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: January 29, 2021, 09:13:58 PM »
You're doing good Ben Ji, lone wolf hunting can be some of the most productive.

Hand to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, I was hunting in NE Kansas once (when they still had roosters, WTH happened, but I digress).  A coyote ran ahead of me on a fence line and flushed a rooster who flew back into me.

Head on a winter rooster has lots of armor, I shot him, and I swear I just stunned him, had to run him down. 

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: January 29, 2021, 09:42:06 PM »
You're doing good Ben Ji, lone wolf hunting can be some of the most productive.

Hand to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, I was hunting in NE Kansas once (when they still had roosters, WTH happened, but I digress).  A coyote ran ahead of me on a fence line and flushed a rooster who flew back into me.

Head on a winter rooster has lots of armor, I shot him, and I swear I just stunned him, had to run him down.

I've flushed a couple of coyotes but never had a coyote flush a bird for me. You must be one with nature.

And yes, both of these roosters did not go down easy. I hit the first one and it did a little wing bow/tip so I know I hit it but it kept flying...then it did the death climb where it flew straight up and dropped straight down as dead as our current bball program. I was looking for it about 50 yards short of where it actually was but Milo found it.

Second one I hit landed in a corn field and took off running between the rows. At first I was like "Gosh Darnitt" but then I remembered I had my trusty bird dog Milo and she ran that rooster down quicker than John Currie checking trash cans at Dillons. It was DOA when I got there.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 10:35:44 PM by ben ji »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: January 29, 2021, 09:56:38 PM »
I bet when you got to Milo you had more sweat than Doc Sadler at the summer IROC meet up.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: October 22, 2021, 10:22:50 PM »
Who else is getting all jacked up to kill some animals this fall?

Nebraska pheasant season opens next weekend so I'm planning to head out to the cat ranch then drive an hour north into bug eater land and kill some of their birds.

Can't wait until the 14th when the KS season opens. Should have plenty of birds on the cat ranch since no cattle have grazed the pastures and we grew nothing but Milo. Also its probably good for the pheasant population that the coyotes ate all 15 barn cats that were hanging out last year.