Author Topic: Killing animals  (Read 144960 times)

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: Killing animals
« Reply #1350 on: October 23, 2019, 05:10:10 PM »
Going pheasant hunting in South Dakota this weekend!

How many pheasants did you blast in SD?
Not that many this year. Group total was 16 in 3 days I think. Bird count is way down this year and lots of water in the fields means all the crops are still out. Not great hunting conditions, but great fun was had!

This guy landed in a couple feet of water, and a very good dog helped bring him back

:adios:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: November 17, 2019, 08:20:33 PM »
Went pheasant hunting for the first time in NW Kansas this weekend. It was me and 2 other newbies and no trained dogs (only one worth a dam was a lab that goes duck hunting) but we had a blast even though we had no idea what we were doing.

Our only goal was to make sure we did not shoot each other and we accomplished that. We mainly hunted some CRP fields on my aunts land and found some pheasants. We had a rudimentary knowledge of how to push a field and flushed up a total of 7 hens and 6 roosters over the course of the weekend.

Of those 6 roosters only 3 of them were shot at and only 1 was hit (by me). We searched for the bird for around 20 minutes but could not find it so I'm guessing he took off running.

The weather was amazing and we all had a great time, just a peaceful feeling you get holding a gun walking through a field of shoulder high grass on a sunny 65 degree day.

Super Embarrasing Side Story: I had 3 other roosters in my sights and pulled the trigger but nothing happened because I had my safety on. Three. Different. Times. Safety first tho!

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: November 17, 2019, 08:29:03 PM »
I know what you are all wondering....How did lady do?!?!

Well after spending the last month making her sleep next to a shotgun she finally got over her fear of seeing guns and actually did pretty well in the field until she got tired. She probably would of done better if she hadn't chased a jackrabbit a quarter of a mile through a freshly planted alfalfa field before we even got to the hunting grounds.

When we first started she did a great job of working ahead of me with the other dogs in the CRP field but could only last about 1.5 hours. After that decided it was easier if she let me break the trail and just followed behind me.

By the second half of the day she was beat and when I shot the pheasant we couldn't find she refused to help and ran back towards the truck. She followed about 100 yards behind us while we pushed the field but eventually I couldnt see her anymore. When we finished pushing the field I went back looking for her and found her walking in the pasture by the creek.

She looked like an old dog last night when she could barely get up because she was so sore from running all day. She was fine by the morning but refused to follow me into the CRP this morning when I tried to kick up a couple before I left. 

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: November 17, 2019, 08:39:42 PM »
Good times in the upland field. Sounds like you had a blast.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: November 17, 2019, 08:54:47 PM »
When we first started she did a great job of working ahead of me with the other dogs in the CRP field but could only last about 1.5 hours. After that decided it was easier if she let me break the trail and just followed behind me.

even just walking with you, she'll help a lot in convincing the pheasants that it makes more sense to fly than run.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Church Creeper

• Fan
  • Help me get rid of it by sniffing it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: November 17, 2019, 09:29:38 PM »
Enjoy the bird hunting now. Kansas is about to be void of birds.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: November 17, 2019, 10:11:15 PM »

As someone who is currently looking into getting a bird dog I am curious why you would say this.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: November 18, 2019, 08:09:00 AM »

even just walking with you, she'll help a lot in convincing the pheasants that it makes more sense to fly than run.

Sys, I appreciate all of your help. If you ever find yourself in NW Kansas with a shotgun in hand let me know and we can walk around fields and say things like "Whoa" and "Birds are here" and maybe get to shoot our gun if a rooster flies up.

Offline Church Creeper

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: November 18, 2019, 10:55:55 AM »

As someone who is currently looking into getting a bird dog I am curious why you would say this.

I guess my wording was a little extreme. It probably depends on where you plan on hunting. I've just heard about declines in the south-central region due to changes in habitat (explosion of cotton instead of wheat, milo, corn, etc.) and higher numbers of predators. Feral cat ranching can possibly harm numbers too. No specific data, just the feeling of a lot of hunters I talk too who hunt Sedgwick, Sumner, Harper counties.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: November 18, 2019, 02:37:36 PM »

I guess my wording was a little extreme. It probably depends on where you plan on hunting. I've just heard about declines in the south-central region due to changes in habitat (explosion of cotton instead of wheat, milo, corn, etc.) and higher numbers of predators. Feral cat ranching can possibly harm numbers too. No specific data, just the feeling of a lot of hunters I talk too who hunt Sedgwick, Sumner, Harper counties.

I've never seen the number of pheasants in south central KS comparable to what is in the Great Bend/Hays area (where I grew up). 
@mikec2w

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: November 18, 2019, 02:50:54 PM »
been a long time since i've been to south central kansas, didn't realize cotton was a big thing, when did that start happening and why?

Offline Church Creeper

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: November 18, 2019, 03:10:52 PM »
been a long time since i've been to south central kansas, didn't realize cotton was a big thing, when did that start happening and why?

Not exactly sure. Some others on here may know more since it's not my area. But I'm guessing profitability is better than grain, water demand, and there are a couple of cotton gins in the area.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: November 18, 2019, 03:21:18 PM »
It's cheaper to grow cotton and it requires less water.  Down here in N. Texas, they will plant cotton in fields that are waiting to be developed so they keep their agricultural tax exemption.  Half the time, they don't even harvest it.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: November 18, 2019, 03:26:10 PM »
Global warming and more cold-resistant varieties allow cotton to creep a little further north every year.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: November 18, 2019, 03:45:26 PM »
sys, I appreciate all of your help. If you ever find yourself in NW Kansas with a shotgun in hand let me know and we can walk around fields and say things like "Whoa" and "Birds are here" and maybe get to shoot our gun if a rooster flies up.

i haven't killed a game animal in probably 10 years, i don't know if i still have it in me.  more likely to borrow a cat and take it for a spin on the gopher fields.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: November 19, 2019, 04:10:05 AM »
sys, I appreciate all of your help. If you ever find yourself in NW Kansas with a shotgun in hand let me know and we can walk around fields and say things like "Whoa" and "Birds are here" and maybe get to shoot our gun if a rooster flies up.

i haven't killed a game animal in probably 10 years, i don't know if i still have it in me.  more likely to borrow a cat and take it for a spin on the gopher fields.

lol

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: November 19, 2019, 08:21:55 AM »
I've decided I'm going to get a bird dog next spring and will be doing some research on what I want this winter. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Right now I'm leaning towards a pointer but I can be swayed...Did a quick google search and emailed a couple kennels. Looks like I can get a 5-7 month German Short Haired Pointer that is gun broke for $800. A little bit more expensive than the $100 adoption fee for lady.....

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: November 19, 2019, 08:43:18 AM »
You should get a labrador so when you give up hunting you'll have a great chill best friend and not some hyper retriever running around knocking crap over.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: November 19, 2019, 08:59:08 AM »
Pointing lab black jack kennels chanute ks
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: November 19, 2019, 09:03:20 AM »
Pointing lab black jack kennels chanute ks
Yeah, I'm not paying $1400 for a dog. $800 is more than I was looking to spend.

You should get a labrador so when you give up hunting you'll have a great chill best friend and not some hyper retriever running around knocking crap over.

Thats why I'm waiting until the spring!

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: November 19, 2019, 09:04:20 AM »
get one of your hunting friends to get the dog, you already have one

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: November 19, 2019, 09:04:41 AM »
I'm also keeping an eye on KC dog shelters too to see if a young pointer or lab pops up...paying $800 for a dog is my backup plan.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: November 19, 2019, 09:08:09 AM »
if you're gonna spend $800, just buy a steer and it will provide much more meat than a couple of birds

Offline Church Creeper

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: November 19, 2019, 09:58:17 AM »
I had a Brittany that was a damn good hunting dog, and good dog in general.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: November 19, 2019, 11:08:52 AM »
let lady pick the new dog.