Author Topic: Killing animals  (Read 144954 times)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: Killing animals
« Reply #350 on: February 19, 2014, 09:53:38 AM »
Guys I just got my deer back from the processor.  I went all out and got two kinds of jerky, bunch of summer sausage, snack sticks, brats, and of course the steaks and burger.  Was like $400  :sdeek:.  Anyway holy crap this is my first deer and it's delicious.  I have brought some jerky and snack sticks and summer sausage to work and it seems to have improved my social standing in the company.   :gocho:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 19, 2014, 09:55:55 AM »
used to work with a guy who ate deer meat pretty much every lunch.  stinks up the place when you microwave it.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 19, 2014, 09:56:42 AM »
deer meat gives me the most god awful gas imaginable.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 19, 2014, 10:03:51 AM »
Guys I just got my deer back from the processor.  I went all out and got two kinds of jerky, bunch of summer sausage, snack sticks, brats, and of course the steaks and burger.  Was like $400  :sdeek:.  Anyway holy crap this is my first deer and it's delicious.  I have brought some jerky and snack sticks and summer sausage to work and it seems to have improved my social standing in the company.   :gocho:

How many pounds of meat did you end up getting?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 19, 2014, 10:05:27 AM »

How many pounds of meat did you end up getting?

Not really sure, maybe about 60 pounds?  My reference is that the box was substantially heavier than a 37.5lb of dog food. 

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 19, 2014, 10:07:07 AM »
I shot a doe at the end of january and processed the whole thing myself.  hung it, skinned it, and butchered it in my garage.  I spent over $300 on my buck and the quality was just ok. I decided I was just going to buy everything to do it myself from now on.  I already had a smoker but I got a meat grinder, a sausage stuffer and a dehydrator.  it's really awesome being able to do everything yourself.  you can control the quality and do everything exactly how you want to. 
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 19, 2014, 10:09:37 AM »
I shot a doe at the end of january and processed the whole thing myself.  hung it, skinned it, and butchered it in my garage.  I spent over $300 on my buck and the quality was just ok. I decided I was just going to buy everything to do it myself from now on.  I already had a smoker but I got a meat grinder, a sausage stuffer and a dehydrator.  it's really awesome being able to do everything yourself.  you can control the quality and do everything exactly how you want to.

That sounds cool but I'm afraid I would eff it up, and that would send me into a deep depression.  I'm also kinda squirmy about stuff like that.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 19, 2014, 10:23:05 AM »

That sounds cool but I'm afraid I would eff it up, and that would send me into a deep depression.  I'm also kinda squirmy about stuff like that.
you're not going to eff it up any worse than the butcher.  you'll take more time and care to do it right.  I watched a few youtube videos and found a great step-by-step site that I used and didn't have any problems.  it's really simple.

and squirmish?  do you not field dress them yourself?  skinning and butchering is nothing compared to field dressing.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 19, 2014, 10:33:13 AM »

you're not going to eff it up any worse than the butcher.  you'll take more time and care to do it right.  I watched a few youtube videos and found a great step-by-step site that I used and didn't have any problems.  it's really simple.

and squirmish?  do you not field dress them yourself?  skinning and butchering is nothing compared to field dressing.

Ya I field dressed him.  It was like 2 deg F so for some reason it didn't gross me out at all.  Never got one bad whif.  Was warm putting my hands up inside him.  Although next time I'll wear a shittier sweater and get some of those cattle birthing shoulder length gloves.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 19, 2014, 10:48:45 AM »

Would puking and barfing on the deer multiple times while butchering it mess it up?  Or could you just rinse it off afterward?

Offline SEK_EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: February 19, 2014, 10:52:57 AM »
Get to be as good as this guy, while keeping all your fingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xijmge8_NJw

The Big Train

« Reply #361 on: February 19, 2014, 10:57:07 AM »
I haven't gone hunting in forever but I used to alot, my favorite thing to get made was the jalapeno cheese summer sausage :lick:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 19, 2014, 10:59:16 AM »
butchering yourself is the way to go.  it's pretty straightforward.  if you cut anything wrong, just grind it.  can't imagine spending hundreds of dollars on "free" meat.

i've never done sausage or any of that stuff.  just fresh meat.  cured meats would be interesting.  i doubt if i'd want to start with game meat though.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 19, 2014, 11:17:32 AM »
This (the processing of the meat) is something I don't mind paying for, especially for my first deer.  Previous to this experience I wasn't even sure how much I would enjoy the meat.  I was mostly after the antlers and the outdoor experience so the meat is a bonus.  At this point I can say I would do it again, although the next animal could be a antelope or elk in another state, so that could change.  $400 is a drop in the bucket compared to everything else I spend on this stuff.

The Big Train

« Reply #364 on: February 19, 2014, 11:29:22 AM »
This (the processing of the meat) is something I don't mind paying for, especially for my first deer.  Previous to this experience I wasn't even sure how much I would enjoy the meat.  I was mostly after the antlers and the outdoor experience so the meat is a bonus.  At this point I can say I would do it again, although the next animal could be a antelope or elk in another state, so that could change.  $400 is a drop in the bucket compared to everything else I spend on this stuff.

Antelope hunting is about as hard as making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, it is fun tho.  Elk hunting is my favorite, lived around the mountains for a long time and very tiring going up and down the mountains but worth it.  Never been moose hunting but I'm sure it would be a blast.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 19, 2014, 11:34:51 AM »

Antelope hunting is about as hard as making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, it is fun tho.  Elk hunting is my favorite, lived around the mountains for a long time and very tiring going up and down the mountains but worth it.  Never been moose hunting but I'm sure it would be a blast.

moose are forest cows.  just stroll up and judge them

The Big Train

« Reply #366 on: February 19, 2014, 11:37:23 AM »

moose are forest cows.  just stroll up and judge them

Moose can charge you tho, so like a bullfight cow?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 19, 2014, 12:15:57 PM »

I want to backpack in way away from a road and camp and hunt and kill one and cut it into pieces and carry it out on my back. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 19, 2014, 12:18:39 PM »
I want to backpack in way away from a road and camp and hunt and kill one and cut it into pieces and carry it out on my back.

i've done that (not antelope).  it's very overrated.  unless you are friends with a horse who is willing to carry your dead animals, it's a lot better to shoot one near a car.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

The Big Train

« Reply #369 on: February 19, 2014, 12:20:11 PM »

I lived that fantasy by reading this book like 100 times when I was little

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 19, 2014, 12:22:11 PM »

i've done that (not antelope).  it's very overrated.  unless you are friends with a horse who is willing to carry your dead animals, it's a lot better to shoot one near a car.

Both deer I've dragged out were character building experiences.  Both were about ~1 mile drags.  I like the punishment sometimes.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 19, 2014, 12:56:05 PM »

ben ji's favorite book ever of all time for infinity growing up. The follow up(Brian's winter) was pretty good as well.

I've always wanted to go "Off the grid" and live in a cabin for like a year but then I think about how much certain things would suck and just go fishing instead.

The Big Train

« Reply #372 on: February 19, 2014, 01:01:18 PM »

ben ji's favorite book ever of all time for infinity growing up. The follow up(Brian's winter) was pretty good as well.

I've always wanted to go "Off the grid" and live in a cabin for like a year but then I think about how much certain things would suck and just go fishing instead.

This was also read like a 100 times by little TBT, "The River" on the other hand was the bastard child.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 19, 2014, 01:02:19 PM »
I would love to be in a survival situation someday.  But only if I was sure I was going to be rescued really soon.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 19, 2014, 01:04:20 PM »
I would love to be in a survival situation someday.  But only if I was sure I was going to be rescued really soon.
You should probably get into this show. http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/naked-and-afraid I'm obsessed!