Author Topic: KSU fball bad non-con losses; some perspective  (Read 3407 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: KSU fball bad non-con losses; some perspective
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2022, 10:19:12 AM »
At least Howard will actually try to play football
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2022, 10:56:14 AM »
It's hard for me to be very critical of QB development, given Skylar's obvious improvement, demonstrated last year.

Really, my only criticism of this staff's QB development is that Howard *should* have been relatively ready to go this year though.  Third year in the program should be enough time, but maybe Covid stuff impacted his development somewhat.  Even if Howard was a miss (which it looks like, imo, but still lots of time for him to rewrite that), I don't think one poor outcome is enough to conclusively say they can't develop QBs, especially in light of Skylar.

Martinez's play has been pretty wtf, but there's a lot of factors at play there.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2022, 10:57:57 AM »
At least Howard will actually try to play football
oof, HCCK pretty much admitted they had scared 9AM into not creating turnovers, what is the number one cause of creating turnovers? Throwing the football poorly which then leads to interceptions. IF this is true, they have a week to somehow get him to dig himself out of this mental trench that he has built. What is football without risks? It's what we have been watching the last three weeks.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2022, 11:36:24 AM »
greg it sounds like maybe the chant for last week should have been THROW A PASS or DONT BE SCARED or TRUST YOURSELF possibly even YOU CAN THROW, the list goes on

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2022, 11:37:18 AM »
QB SNEAK
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2022, 11:42:05 AM »
greg it sounds like maybe the chant for last week should have been THROW A PASS or DONT BE SCARED or TRUST YOURSELF possibly even YOU CAN THROW, the list goes on
Without a doubt. The dude needs to take a vision-quest out on the konza Monday thru Wednesday morning then go to practice each day in the afternoon feeling like a new man.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2022, 12:08:56 PM »

Absolutely.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2022, 02:24:49 PM »
We need the QB to go through his progression so that the check valve option is last instead of first. If Martinez can't or won't do that, then I'd be fine with putting Howard out there, turnovers and all.

Watch him, he definitely goes through his progressions, he just will not throw the ball. The times in which he's quick with the side to side passes those are the primary reads on those plays.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2022, 02:33:07 PM »
It's hard for me to be very critical of QB development, given Skylar's obvious improvement, demonstrated last year.

Really, my only criticism of this staff's QB development is that Howard *should* have been relatively ready to go this year though.  Third year in the program should be enough time, but maybe Covid stuff impacted his development somewhat.  Even if Howard was a miss (which it looks like, imo, but still lots of time for him to rewrite that), I don't think one poor outcome is enough to conclusively say they can't develop QBs, especially in light of Skylar.

Martinez's play has been pretty wtf, but there's a lot of factors at play there.

How do we know he isn't ready? If Martinez won the job, and you'd have to even question if it was a competition given his injury recovery, he's going to have a long leash.

Did you expect Martinez to get the hook in the second half against Tulane? What people seem to be failing to understand is that if the time ever comes for Martinez to get pulled, it's over for him. You don't platoon a fifth year senior, for multiple reasons. I mentioned this before but Dabo is going through something similar. DJamer U has played questionably for now an entire season +3 games and he hasn't pulled him yet.

What we've seen of Will was better than what Adrian showed on Saturday, even though I'm not sure Will is a P5 starting QB.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2022, 02:36:56 PM »

This is an amazing idea.  Greg, in your court now

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2022, 02:37:53 PM »
We need the QB to go through his progression so that the check valve option is last instead of first. If Martinez can't or won't do that, then I'd be fine with putting Howard out there, turnovers and all.

Watch him, he definitely goes through his progressions, he just will not throw the ball. The times in which he's quick with the side to side passes those are the primary reads on those plays.

He wasn’t like that at Nebraska, I think our coaching staff swung the pendulum too far on him and now he’s mind mumped
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2022, 02:44:19 PM »

How do we know he isn't ready?
I mean, I'm basing it on us going to the transfer portal to get AM instead of rolling with Howard (/Rubley, etc.).

It's certainly possible Howard surprised the staff and got developed into a P5 qb over the offseason.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2022, 03:21:41 PM »

He wasn’t like that at Nebraska, I think our coaching staff swung the pendulum too far on him and now he’s mind mumped
The only possibility

Offline Hurricane Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2022, 03:35:11 PM »

The only possibility

might be mental and physical

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2022, 06:18:04 PM »

I mean, I'm basing it on us going to the transfer portal to get AM instead of rolling with Howard (/Rubley, etc.).

It's certainly possible Howard surprised the staff and got developed into a P5 qb over the offseason.

Did you see my post about the other quarterbacks in Will's class?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2022, 09:18:36 AM »
oscar Weber shouting - Believe in yourself Adrian over that million dollar PA system would work wonders I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2022, 09:35:14 AM »
the best part about The Loss is that it got us to stop talking about The Chant

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2022, 09:36:11 AM »
oscar Weber shouting - Believe in yourself Adrian over that million dollar PA system would work wonders I think

El Oh El. Classic.  If you don’t post this over on the foundation in the appropriate thread, I’m going to steal this. I will give you until Saturday at 5:00 p.m.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2022, 10:31:46 AM »

El Oh El. Classic.  If you don’t post this over on the foundation in the appropriate thread, I’m going to steal this. I will give you until Saturday at 5:00 p.m.
Do it

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2022, 02:53:40 PM »

Yeah and I’m not sure what your point is.  All I said is that the only criticism I have for qb development is that Howard apparently wasn’t ready to go this year, and then qualified it a whole bunch in several different ways. I’m not really disagreeing with you.  I don’t have any gripe really with qb development.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2022, 03:14:04 PM »

Yeah and I’m not sure what your point is.  All I said is that the only criticism I have for qb development is that Howard apparently wasn’t ready to go this year, and then qualified it a whole bunch in several different ways. I’m not really disagreeing with you.  I don’t have any gripe really with qb development.

My point was, I'm not sure how you know that Howard isn't "ready." He's already been a starting QB. What does ready look like. He's already won games as a starting QB, I'm guessing he hasn't progressed. I don't know that bringing in a 5th year senior with 11,000 yards of offense in his career is indicative that Howard isn't ready.

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2022, 11:25:08 PM »
Good post by nickname and rain is once again the voice of reason. Honestly, I’m disappointed as F. But to put a positive spin on it, if we are the same team that everybody thought we were at the beginning of the season, things couldn’t have set up better for a win at Oklahoma. Odds are not in our favor, but us coming off a home loss and them coming off the road win sets up pretty good for us psychologically. 9AM just needs to pull his head out of his ass and play like he did at Nebraska less the TO’s at critical times. My fear is that we don’t have the wide receivers like he had at Nebraska.
Good call, Huge