Author Topic: As I read message boards the more convinced I become that very few posters...  (Read 25805 times)

Offline The Manhatter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
have a clue what they're talking about when it comes to football and match-ups.  And I want to be clear and say I'm not referring to the posters on this site.  It's more about elsewhere.

Let's be honest about this 4 game stretch we're facing and take a common sense approach.

The ONLY thing that worries me about this game Saturday with Oklahoma is that they do have good coaches and easily the best personnel and skill level in the entire Big 12.  And by skill level I mean they have so much talent they're capable of doing a lot of things other teams cannot do...but this has nothing to do w/ their scheme, both offensively and defensively, and how that presents a challenge to KSU.

If I had to rank these 4 games in difficulty of how we match up...and I'm talking more schematically it would go like this...

1) Oklahoma State
2) Texas A&M
3) Oklahoma
4) Texas

Yes, I just said that Oklahoma State and aTm are the two most difficult games remaining.  I'll get into why that is the case.  But I'll reiterate the ONLY thing (and it's still a VERY BIG thing) that scares me about OU is their talent level.  They are absurdly talented.

1)  OSU - first, we have them on the road.  Second, they have a QB who doesn't get rattled (extremely poised).  This is our most difficult match-up defensively.  There is NO QUESTION whatsoever they have the best OL in the Big 12 and it isn't even close.  Their OL is physical and it can pass protect.  If you limit their passing game they can still run all over you.  We caught a glimpse of this last year in our best defensive performance of the year and they didn't even have Blackmon.  Defensively they can be had by the running game but why they haven't is that they have OUTSTANDING players at LB and safety.  That allows them to cover some of their weaknesses and their corners are far and away better than given credit for...they usually get leads and part of what they give up on the ground is a concession made by their defense.  This is the one game left on our schedule where I simply can't see a win.  I think we've got a really fine football team but if we win this one in Stillwater that will surprise the hell out of me.

2) aTm - Fantastic balance.  Very good OL with a terrific power running game.  They have two horses at RB and they're physical up front.  They have the wide receivers and skill in the passing game to punish you if you focus on the run and to make matters worse Tannehill has terrific mobility.  They're a handful to stop.  Defensively they have a great deal of vulerability to the pass but they can take away your running game.  They blitz a ton and have a lot of veteran players up front.  They are physical on defense.  I don't know if many have noticed but they lead, by far and away, the Big 12 in rushing defense.  Part of that is who they've played to this point but they also lead the Big 12 in sacks.  We're not good at protecting the passer and we rely on our rushing offense for everything we do offensively...uh oh!   :runaway:

3) OU - soft running game offensively.  Tech didn't respect their running game and dropped plenty into coverage and Tech's run defense is highly suspect.  KU didn't respect their running game.  Sure, the Sooners eventually wore down KU's run defense but with how KU kept defenders back on their heels OU should've been able to run for 400 yards.  We have the capability of stuffing OU's run game w/ 5 up front (front 4 and Brown) and then drop our safety like LBs (Lamur and Walker) into the flats and intermediate routes (see Mizzou game and 2nd half of Tech).  Plus, Landry doesn't have the mobility and he's a timing QB who isn't an ultra-confident QB.  He can get rattled.  Defensively OU wants to create havoc by shooting gaps with their front 4 knowing full well that they have the talent to recover if somebody breaks a play either scrambling or running the ball.  They are very susceptible to getting gashed by a two prong rushing attack (QB and RB)...in games where we had threats at both RB and QB we ran the ball very effectively vs. Stoops defensive schemes.  

4) Texas - they have a LOT of issues.  Their young secondary has no chemistry with their front 7 and they're vulnerable to big plays all over the place.  OU hit them by air and OSU pounded them by land.  Offensively they're a chinese fire drill that gets by on terrific talent and playmaking ability thrown in with some gadget plays.  They're very erratic in the passing game so if they can't run the ball their offense will get dominated (see OU game).  This team simply isn't that tough...they will get there in a year or two but they aren't close to being in the same ballpark as OSU, aTm, and OU.  

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
Academics is a stupid word.

Academic schools are synonymous for being rich, powerful and exclusive, three things Kansas State is not.

So when people throw the word "academics" around, that's really what they are referencing.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
I think we win in Austin and find some way to win one against OU/OSU/A&M.  

I think this KSU team finishes the regular season at 10-2 at this point.

I like that we have A&M at home, though.  For some reason, I think Snyder has an ability to get into Sherman's head.  That will kind of negate their advantages.

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
I think we win in Austin and find some way to win one against OU/OSU/A&M. 

I think this KSU team finishes the regular season at 10-2 at this point.

I like that we have A&M at home, though.  For some reason, I think Snyder has an ability to get into Sherman's head.  That will kind of negate their advantages.
agreed here. Our players are focused and can take down any opponent in the Big 12 at any time. Not to mention we have the Scheme Doctor on our side.
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Do you hear that guys?  The ONLY thing we have to be concerned about is that OU has really good coaches and really good players.   Looks like we've got this one in the bag.  :gocho:

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
Wow. I started to read that post and felt like I was being doused w/ FBIQ from a fire hydrant.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
We beat rough ridin' Texas Tech at rough ridin' Texas Tech.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
11-1, here we come.

Offline Ira Hayes

• Created #RayRayForAD
  • Katpak'r
  • The Marine that went to war.
    • View Profile
Hatter,

Where is this year's team weaker than 2003?  Hubert is obviously not Sproles, but beyond him? 

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
QB.  Ell could run as well as CK but was a much bigger threat to throw the deep ball.  Also, the difference between Sproles and Hubert is pretty huge.  Hubert doesn't take that little screen pass to the house like Darren did in the CCG.

Offline Ira Hayes

• Created #RayRayForAD
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
QB.  Ell could run as well as CK but was a much bigger threat to throw the deep ball.  Also, the difference between Sproles and Hubert is pretty huge.  Hubert doesn't take that little screen pass to the house like Darren did in the CCG.

Disagree on Ell.  I prefer CK, but could see the argument that it's almost a wash.  Haven't seen enough deep balls from CK to make a judgment.

WR/TE was the one are I think 2003 may be better, but I like this group we have now.  Even without the Smiths.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile

Disagree on Ell.  I prefer CK, but could see the argument that it's almost a wash.  Haven't seen enough deep balls from CK to make a judgment.

WR/TE was the one are I think 2003 may be better, but I like this group we have now.  Even without the Smiths.

:dubious:

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I'll put this yrs' WR squad against just about any other.  We don't have that one really good TE like we have had in the past but we do have two pretty darn good ones so maybe it's a wash? 

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile

We have for sure three, maybe 4 WR's that can play.  Certainly more talent at WR than CK can take advantage of, at least that we know of.   :ohno:

Offline Ira Hayes

• Created #RayRayForAD
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile

:dubious:

The numbers back me up so far.  And when I say you could make the argument they're a wash I'm talking about comparing Klein's Jr. year with Roberson's Sr. year.  If you want to compare them to the seventh game of their Jr. years, Klein absolutely destroys Roberson:

Ell: http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2003&org=327&player=3

Collin: http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2011&org=327&player=7

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The comparison was presented as '11 vs '03.

Offline Ira Hayes

• Created #RayRayForAD
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Roberson 2003 first 7 games (not counting the two he missed): run 117-551 yds-10 TD, pass: 76-146 (52%) 1313 yds, 7 INT, 13 TD - 5-2 record

Klein 2011: run: 151-670 yds-14TD, pass 82-138 (59%) 934 yds, 3 INT, 8 TD - 7-0 record

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Roberson 2003 first 7 games (not counting the two he missed): run 117-551 yds-10 TD, pass: 76-146 (52%) 1313 yds, 7 INT, 13 TD - 5-2 record

Klein 2011: run: 151-670 yds-14TD, pass 82-138 (59%) 934 yds, 3 INT, 8 TD - 7-0 record

Ira: BITB

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Love Klein.  Love him.  But, that one deep ball he lofted out there....woof. 

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I actually like that we can't throw it deep.  With our grind out the clock by running the ball and picking up first downs game plan that I love, throwing deep makes me feel like we're wasting a down.  Sorry for LFBIQ.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I don't remember CK throwning 3 INTs.  I remember one.  :dunno:  Anyhoos-  Guess CK is just overshadowed by Ell's smile and flashiness.  Funny how we we just hoping for him to not eff up too bad this year and here he is turning in a really nice season.  7-0 is pretty rough ridin' fantastic.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
If we had Ell Roberson this year we would be a virtual lock to win the Big XII and probably one of 3 teams that had a legit shot at the national championship game.  Our WR core is sick.  Like really really really rough ridin' good.  Our problem is that we can't effectively get them the ball on a consistent basis.  How many times have you seen Klein overthrow a receiver that was wide open downfield?  I would venture to guess that a vast majority of his incompletions this year came when the receiver was open enough to catch the ball but Klein didn't put where they could even get 1 hand on it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pumped about where we are right now, it's just kind of sad to think how we're wasting the best wide receiving core we've had in a really long time.  :frown:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline fatty fat fat

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
why do you guys think our wr's are so good?

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
If we had Ell Roberson this year we would be a virtual lock to win the Big XII and probably one of 3 teams that had a legit shot at the national championship game.  Our WR core is sick.  Like really really really rough ridin' good.  Our problem is that we can't effectively get them the ball on a consistent basis.  How many times have you seen Klein overthrow a receiver that was wide open downfield?

translation:  i was in school when Ell was our qb.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.