Author Topic: Home Entertainment Advice  (Read 6507 times)

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Re: Home Entertainment Advice
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 04:07:44 PM »
I have a Roku and its pretty good for what it is.

was curious about this as well, but I want to be able to stream Hulu without paying for Hulu's premium service. 

Also, do you get ESPN3 on Roku?
Hulu plus is worth it to me.  No espn3 at this point in time, but you get Amazon.  I get great picture quality.

Offline Duncan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 08:09:10 PM »
i've been underwhelmed by netflix streaming.  tv shows are pretty good, but not much in terms of movies.  hopefully that gets better. 

quality is hit and miss.  hd tv/movies look pretty good, but sometimes you'll get one that is somewhat pixelated, or stutters/drops frames.  not due to bandwidth, just that particular movie encoding.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2011, 08:39:42 PM »
i've been underwhelmed by netflix streaming.  tv shows are pretty good, but not much in terms of movies.  hopefully that gets better. 

quality is hit and miss.  hd tv/movies look pretty good, but sometimes you'll get one that is somewhat pixelated, or stutters/drops frames.  not due to bandwidth, just that particular movie encoding.

Netflix streaming is worth it just for TV shows.

I do not know why they don't put any good movies on streaming, but I'm sure someone here knows.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2011, 09:32:56 PM »
costs more.  the tv stuff they stream was, before netflix, pretty dead.  so it was really cheap to get the rights owners to allow them to stream that stuff.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2011, 10:34:39 PM »
Some jackass companies refuse to put their content on Netflix streaming.  I do not support those companies.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2011, 08:33:34 AM »
Some jackass companies refuse to put their content on Netflix streaming.  I do not support those companies.

Even the ones that rely heavily on subscriptions like HBO?

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2011, 09:28:14 AM »
We ditched our cable about a month and a half ago, and just built a cheap (around 300) HTPC.  Between Hulu, Netflix, and Playon we can watch just about anything we wanted to, and local channels still come through the internet cable just fine. the few network shows that can't be found online (ie criminal minds) we just set up to record off the cable feed.  Haven't watched sports yet (nothings on now, don't care for baseball, and no time to watch NBA playoffs) but espn3 should cover just about everything.

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2011, 09:56:23 AM »
As someone that's been streaming netflix for about 2 years now; the selection has quadrupled in the last year.  It really sucked to begin with, but it's been getting better.   It's forced us to watch some movies that I would never have even heard of, which has been both good & bad.
Good is better than Evil because it's nicer.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2011, 10:26:22 AM »
As someone that's been streaming netflix for about 2 years now; the selection has quadrupled in the last year.  It really sucked to begin with, but it's been getting better.   It's forced us to watch some movies that I would never have even heard of, which has been both good & bad.

Netflix usually does a pretty good job of recommending me movies, so I haven't really been burned too many times on watching movies I haven't heard of. It's a great service, much better than any paid subscription to a movie channel.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2011, 10:40:32 AM »
watching season 2 of Friday Night Lights on netflix as I type. Next up: Psych. Don't know how I lived without 'flix, streams right to my beautiful 55" vizio LED.  :cheers:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2011, 11:01:49 AM »
how you people live your lives watching this amount of tv/movies is beyond me.  you could be message boarding that entire time. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2011, 11:45:58 AM »
watching season 2 of Friday Night Lights on netflix as I type. Next up: Psych. Don't know how I lived without 'flix, streams right to my beautiful 55" vizio LED.  :cheers:

Psych is great.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2011, 03:41:45 PM »

Psych is great.

maybe one of the funniest shows ever. not exaggerating

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2011, 01:00:35 PM »
thinking about google tv for watching espn3. anyone done it or know of something better? (that isn't cable)

Offline jdagg2003

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2011, 01:23:54 PM »
thinking about google tv for watching espn3. anyone done it or know of something better? (that isn't cable)

espn blocked streaming to Google tv devices.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2011, 07:00:11 PM »

link?

not even through the browser? is xbox360 the only thing that works? I know you would at least have espn3 and netflix.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2011, 11:09:32 PM »

link?

not even through the browser? is xbox360 the only thing that works? I know you would at least have espn3 and netflix.

Are they even selling Google TV anymore? I'm currently paying the price of being an early adopter, back when Google was supposedly rolling it out early and going to be adding ways to add apps etc. Never happened. Very expensive Netflix player.

And espn3 is blocked on it.

It's also incredibly underpowered for the price. You're better off buying a cheap lap/desktop and going the wireless mouse/keyboard route. Best way I've found to get around site restrictions on Google tv and other similar devices.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2011, 11:18:03 PM »

link?

Are they even selling Google TV anymore? I'm currently paying the price of being an early adopter, back when Google was supposedly rolling it out early and going to be adding ways to add apps etc. Never happened. Very expensive Netflix player.

And espn3 is blocked on it.

It's also incredibly underpowered for the price. You're better off buying a cheap lap/desktop and going the wireless mouse/keyboard route. Best way I've found to get around site restrictions on Google tv and other similar devices.

:lol: at you buying one of those.  What were you thinking?