Author Topic: Report: Mangino to K-State  (Read 40618 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Report: Mangino to K-State
« Reply #175 on: October 26, 2015, 12:06:38 PM »
Was Reisling (or whatever) really good enough to make a crappy HC look good, or did KU have a reasonable OC at the time?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 26, 2015, 12:06:58 PM »
Mark Mangino will make you feel like you've been Dimeled x 10 . . . dry.

The dude is a terrible OC.
he's a very capable offensive coordinator.

He's awful, makes terrible adjustments, or essentially no adjustments at all.  It wasn't until he took himself out of calling plays that KU started to perform better on offense.   He's good for 1 quarter a game, if the defense adjusts, forget it, Mangino isn't. 

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 26, 2015, 12:08:40 PM »
just imagine what mangino could do with Hubener, the sky is the limit

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 26, 2015, 12:08:49 PM »

He's awful, makes terrible adjustments, or essentially no adjustments at all.  It wasn't until he took himself out of calling plays that KU started to perform better on offense.   He's good for 1 quarter a game, if the defense adjusts, forget it, Mangino isn't.
He was calling plays for OU in 2000 wasn't he?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 26, 2015, 12:09:26 PM »

His QB knew the offense better then he did. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 26, 2015, 12:11:00 PM »
Was Reisling (or whatever) really good enough to make a crappy HC look good, or did KU have a reasonable OC at the time?

HAHAHAHAHAHA! LIKE THE WINE!

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 26, 2015, 12:23:42 PM »

His QB knew the offense better then he did.
And I suppose it's the same thing for Hybl the following year?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 26, 2015, 12:28:47 PM »
Things got stale Dlew, and that was 15 years ago, again, KU didn't start doing better on offense until Mangino backed off.

He was terrible at Iowa State as well.   You've just been removed from your coordinators position by Proud Paul Rhodes,  not exactly a resume builder.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 26, 2015, 12:29:58 PM »
Things got stale Dlew, and that was 15 years ago, again, KU didn't start doing better on offense until Mangino backed off.

He was terrible at Iowa State as well.   You've just been removed from your coordinators position by Proud Paul Rhodes,  not exactly a resume builder.
Paul Rhodes is a dumbass, who is doing everything he can to save his own neck.  Mangino was doing fine this year, given the circumstances of ISU's program. 

What year did he stop calling KU's plays?

You can say he's a terrible coach, but several national coaching awards (at two different schools) disagree with you.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 26, 2015, 12:31:53 PM »

I don't think he's bad at all, but I don't think he's better than Dimel.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 26, 2015, 12:34:06 PM »

I don't think he's bad at all, but I don't think he's better than Dimel.
A month ago I would've agreed with you 100%.  But our offensive strategy over the last month has been extremely puzzling.  As someone who would've been fine with Dimel taking over a month ago, I have no faith in Dimel right now.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 26, 2015, 12:36:39 PM »
A month ago I would've agreed with you 100%.  But our offensive strategy over the last month has been extremely puzzling.  As someone who would've been fine with Dimel taking over a month ago, I have no faith in Dimel right now.

Oh, the past month has been extremely frustrating. My indictment with the past month lies more on recruiting than playcalling, though clearly Dimel has had one of his worst months calling plays. I still think Dimel is a very good OC though.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 26, 2015, 12:40:09 PM »
Is Ron Hudson still alive? Let's bring him back to be OC if so.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 26, 2015, 12:41:58 PM »
Ed Warriner (sp?) and Tim Beck called the plays at KU during their every 30 years season of glory.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #189 on: October 26, 2015, 01:09:40 PM »

Oh, the past month has been extremely frustrating. My indictment with the past month lies more on recruiting than playcalling, though clearly Dimel has had one of his worst months calling plays. I still think Dimel is a very good OC though.

I think recruiting, while there are a lot of idiotic moves (i.e. Warmack hosting Bryant...), is a byproduct of philosophy.

If you create and implement an offense that takes no risks, shows no trust in the players, and rewards (presumably) consistency and persistence over talent, it's going to attract kids that are marginally talented while the talented players are going to go to a program with a more wide open and fun philosophy.

I think TCU and Baylor have thrown the template out there for what teams needs to do to be competitive.  Play fun, wide open, aggressive football, get cutting edge uniforms, and upgrade your facilities.

Well, the hard part (facilities) is there for us.  The other two can easily be done if we get a coach that embraces a more fun spirited, aggressive philosophy.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 26, 2015, 01:21:33 PM »
I think another hard part is being in the backyard of the most fertile recruiting territory in the nation.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 26, 2015, 01:41:50 PM »
I think another hard part is being in the backyard of the most fertile recruiting territory in the nation.

Meh.  We have direct flights to Texas, most folks can make the drive fairly easily.  We play there a minimum of two times a year.  With the UTSA road game this year, it was three.  That means 8 games were in Kansas (67%), 25% were in Texas, and one game in Oklahoma (8%).

That's perfectly fine.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 26, 2015, 01:48:29 PM »
Panjandrum:  i don't think our style of offense (or our non-"cutting edge" uniforms) has much to do with us not getting talent.  I think recruiters are the reason we don't have talent

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 26, 2015, 01:54:48 PM »
Panjandrum:  i don't think our style of offense (or our non-"cutting edge" uniforms) has much to do with us not getting talent.  I think recruiters are the reason we don't have talent

I think a few are good, but some of them are horrible.  No doubt.

But I don't think it's all their recruiting ability.  At some point, selling the program has to be difficult when kids watch what you do on the field. 

I'm not sure what their sales pitch can be? 

"Come to Kansas State and play running back.  But if you fumble, we're going to replace you with a 2-star kid with 4.8 speed who can block better than you can."

"Come to Kansas State and play quarterback.  But odds of you making it thorough four games without breaking something is highly unlikely."

"Come to Kansas State and play wide receiver where you can sit behind walk-on JUCO QB's on the depth chart."

I'd get into the defense, but you get the gist.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 26, 2015, 01:56:48 PM »
I mean, I doubt our coaches would say that stuff to the kids.  I doubt Baylor is going out and highlighting the fact that their quarterback broke his neck last week. 

I really don't think our style of offense has a significant effect on the talent we have.  Waters played here for the better part of two years without missing much time to injury (at least I don't recall him missing much time).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 01:59:51 PM by Dlew12 »

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 26, 2015, 02:00:10 PM »
I doubt high school kids even watch much football on Saturday's anyway to really know what each team does well/not well. 

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 26, 2015, 02:18:44 PM »

Paul Rhodes is a dumbass, who is doing everything he can to save his own neck.  Mangino was doing fine this year, given the circumstances of ISU's program. 

You can say he's a terrible coach, but several national coaching awards (at two different schools) disagree with you.

Mangino was really bad at Iowa State. Yes Rhodes is trying to save his job but I've been telling you guys that Mangino wouldn't survive the season. ISU has pretty good talent at the skill positions, they are absolutely better than KU, KSU, and Texas at the skill positions and just as good IMO as WVU and Tech. I don't know what he did at OU 15 years ago but he's been bad at ISU.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 26, 2015, 02:54:06 PM »

Mangino was really bad at Iowa State. Yes Rhodes is trying to save his job but I've been telling you guys that Mangino wouldn't survive the season. ISU has pretty good talent at the skill positions, they are absolutely better than KU, KSU, and Texas at the skill positions and just as good IMO as WVU and Tech. I don't know what he did at OU 15 years ago but he's been bad at ISU.
5.5 ypp isn't bad (~50th).  Them giving up 6.4 ypp is bad (116th).

I'll admit I haven't been watching too much Iowa State football (and you're probably more aware of it), but from the outside looking in, Mangino seems like a weird guy to pin the blame on for Iowa State's troubles this season.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 26, 2015, 03:15:04 PM »

But I don't think it's all their recruiting ability.  At some point, selling the program has to be difficult when kids watch what you do on the field. 

"Come to Kansas State and play running back.  But if you fumble, we're going to replace you with a 2-star kid with 4.8 speed who can block better than you can."

"Come to Kansas State and play quarterback.  But odds of you making it thorough four games without breaking something is highly unlikely."

"Come to Kansas State and play wide receiver where you can sit behind walk-on JUCO QB's on the depth chart."

FWIW - I do agree our current program is built to discourage high-talent kids who are afraid of getting marginalized for the sake of an overall program philosophy. At the same time, it is very attractive for those who are mostly overlooked (which is not awful; RG3 and Manziel got shot down by their top choices).

I actually think plenty of programs do things similarly on a day-to-day basis, it's just Bill seems a bit different in making a point that your job will always be at risk to a walk on, which no one really wants to hear in their recruiting pitch.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 26, 2015, 03:25:58 PM »

FWIW - I do agree our current program is built to discourage high-talent kids who are afraid of getting marginalized for the sake of an overall program philosophy. At the same time, it is very attractive for those who are mostly overlooked (which is not awful; RG3 and Manziel got shot down by their top choices).

I actually think plenty of programs do things similarly on a day-to-day basis, it's just Bill seems a bit different in making a point that your job will always be at risk to a walk on, which no one really wants to hear in their recruiting pitch.

Yes, as usual, this board has emphasized the negatives.
It seems to me that if I were a bad-ass high school recruit, I would like my chances to come here and play early if I was willing to do the things that made me a complete player.  In other words, if I run a 4.4, and am willing to learn how to block and to not fumble the ball (things I will need to do in the NFL), I have a great chance of starting early at KSU.

Our philosophy is about production.  I don't believe that we refrain from playing guys to teach them a lesson.  We play the guys that give us the best chance of winning.  This staff believes that the best chance of winning is to play guys that don't make mistakes.  Plus, this approach produces a culture that will benefit the program over the long run.

It is the same philosophy that allowed us to win more big 12 games than any other school from 2011-14.  You guys want to throw out the baby with the bathwater, based on a rough start to this big 12 season.  The approach we use can--and does--work.  You guys just don't like that approach, and are using this subpar season as an excuse to attack a system you simply don't like.  Your attack of Snyder's system has nothing to do with results, but style.