Author Topic: Please define class warfare  (Read 9835 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Please define class warfare
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2011, 03:22:23 PM »
Social security has become an entitlement because most recipients now receive far more than they pay into the system, due to an outdated model that has not been adjusted for life expectancy. Ironically, those arguing for "means testing" of SS want to make it even more of an entitlement program.

This is actually not true at all. In addition to SS taxes being regressive, benefits are also regressive.

Yes, it is true. From the CBO: "Undoubtedly, the perception that beneficiaries were simply getting back what they had paid in--even though most retired workers have received much more in benefits than they have paid in Social Security taxes--has been a deterrent to changing the program." Did you catch that? Most retired workers will receive much more in benefits than they paid in.

It is true, to an extent, that the SS portion of the FICA tax is regressive, because the taxable income is capped at something like $106,200 (I think that's the latest figure). Thus, a person earning $500k a year pays the same amount of SS taxes as someome earning $120k a year. But, the person earning $120k (or $500k) pays more in SS taxes than someone earning $40k.

As for the comment that SS benefits are also regressive, I have no idea what that even means. Benefits are tied loosely to contributions. Pay more in, you should get more out.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2011, 04:23:57 PM »
Notice that there's no actual source in your link for the statement. Lots of other footnotes included in the link, but not one for that claim...hmmm...

But here's my source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/02/AR2011010203213.html

Notice it's actually from this decade as well.

Also, I know you don't understand how Social Security benefits could be considered regressive, that would take some independent thinking.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2011, 04:39:25 PM »
Notice that there's no actual source in your link for the statement. Lots of other footnotes included in the link, but not one for that claim...hmmm...

But here's my source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/02/AR2011010203213.html

Also, I know you don't understand how Social Security benefits could be considered regressive, that would take some independent thinking.

Rather than make trite statements, why don't you explain to me how benefits are regressive? Heck, maybe the "Urban Institute" has done a study on it. Just give me a link.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2011, 04:48:49 PM »

Rather than make trite statements, why don't you explain to me how benefits are regressive? Heck, maybe the "Urban Institute" has done a study on it. Just give me a link.

In much the same way as race and sex factor into longevity, socioeconomic status does as well. See if you can figure out the link.

Online john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2011, 04:57:22 PM »

Wow. That theoretical couple could have invested the $728,000 over their working careers for retirement, but instead gave it to the government in return for $910,000. What a shitty return over 40 years.  I think the the government should get out of the retirement business.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2011, 05:05:36 PM »
In much the same way as race and sex factor into longevity, socioeconomic status does as well. See if you can figure out the link.

Ah, so benefits are regressive because the poor live less healthy lifestyles, like smoking, drug use, and not getting an education, and therefore don't live as long. Thank you for bringing this grievous injustice to our attention. We should all be outraged!

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2011, 05:13:08 PM »

Wow. That theoretical couple could have invested the $728,000 over their working careers for retirement, but instead gave it to the government in return for $910,000. What a shitty return over 40 years.  I think the the government should get out of the retirement business.

Why don't the just invest the made up numbers now John Doug?

But at least you get at a more valid argument against SS.

Online john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2011, 05:33:39 PM »

Why don't the just invest the made up numbers now John Doug?

But at least you get at a more valid argument against SS.

It must be hard being a liberal. You should switch.