Author Topic: Wireless router recommendos  (Read 18528 times)

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
Re: Wireless router recommendos
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2017, 04:42:36 PM »
Can you just do a router/modem combo? I had a small (650 sqft) apt in Topeka and the one I got from cox worked just fine. I had 5ghz all the way to the parking lot as well.
Maybe? I need someone else to tell me the answer to that.

The long answer is it really depends on your usage.  The short answer is yes you can totally do that. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2017, 04:52:16 PM »
Can you just do a router/modem combo? I had a small (650 sqft) apt in Topeka and the one I got from cox worked just fine. I had 5ghz all the way to the parking lot as well.
Maybe? I need someone else to tell me the answer to that.

The long answer is it really depends on your usage.  The short answer is yes you can totally do that.

It looked like xfinity didn't support a modem/wireless combo for my service so I just bought a supported cable modem and sd's router.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2017, 04:54:48 PM »
Good choice

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2017, 05:22:24 PM »
I have this one. would recommend.

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC66U-B1/

I have their just step down version RT-AC51U, and it's pretty damn good,. I have a 1800sqft house so I get coverage easily all over my house, and all over my yard. Love it.

Also glad I paired with with the 16 channel motorola modem (don't have the part # on me) but also glad I didn't rent, eff that.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2017, 12:56:28 AM »
damn I got it delivered already and did a speed test and went from 70mps to 180mps. :eek:

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2017, 09:26:39 AM »
:thumbs:

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2019, 08:36:36 PM »
What’s the new hot POA everybody is talking about these days?  It’s time for a refresh.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2019, 08:54:14 PM »
it's not hot or new but I have google wifi with three spots across my mcmansion and it has very good coverage. I had some fancy asus thing with over a billion antennas that was supposed to be hot crap but I had dead spots in my place. I work from home and need fast AF internet in whichever bathroom I'm spending time in and this does that for me like the porcupine looking asus thing didn't.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2019, 09:01:31 PM »
Hmm

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2019, 09:05:14 PM »
plus a 3 pack was cheaper than the asus thing on its own. $250 for 3 which covers a giant area. BUT, it only has one ethernet port per deal so I have an ethernet switch from the main one for my sonos, shared storage thing, hard wire ethernet stuff, etc. to run off of. but that's like $20 on amazon.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2019, 09:12:59 PM »
I bought a 100’ cat6 to hardwire in my main office for my new place. I had Ethernet jacks in every room and paid Cox like $100 to get them all hot in MHK.  I don’t have Ethernet jacks in every room in my new place :frown:

My issue is the latency being at 35ms right now over WiFi!  :angry:  that’s unacceptable

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Wireless router recommendos
« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2019, 06:32:36 AM »
When we built our house I had cat 6 run to everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2019, 07:19:50 AM »
DBT, let me know what you get and if it is good. I’ll need a new one in a few weeks.
:adios:

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2019, 07:23:55 AM »
I just roll with the standard Google router they give you. It's fine.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2019, 08:18:11 AM »
I have this one at our house.  It seems to be working very well with great range.

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R8000.aspx
@mikec2w

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2019, 09:39:22 AM »
https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/deco/deco-m5/

We put this into our house a while back and love it. Covers all of the basement, ground floor, garage, and back yard.  I also like being able to shut off the kid's internet at the push of a button from my phone until they get their grades back up (or if they're being little asses and I just want to flex my power on them).

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 31, 2019, 09:54:58 AM »
Orbi mesh is refurbished on woot today. 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2019, 09:58:15 AM »
I think I'm going to need a range extender that can plug in right by the balcony for that pellet grill.  The wifi transmitter on the one I got was busted and they're sending another one, but even if it works perfect and connects with where my router has to be, I'll be more comfortable knowing I have a much closer connection when it comes to being away from my place and hoping the thing works with respect to controlling fire.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2019, 11:58:12 AM »
The main router I have is a dual band and it had been set where both bands had the same name and all devices could figure out whether to be on the 2.4 or 5.0.  As part of the troubleshooting for the smoker, they had me give the 2 bands different names so that I could be sure the smoker was connecting on 2.4. 

Now, when I go get some sort of range extender that will plug into the electric outlet right by the deck, should I get one that's 2.4 only, which seems rare?  If I get one that's the more typical dual-band, is there a similar step I'll have to take to have it properly recognizing and segregating the 2 bands or will it figure it out on its own?

I'm kind of hoping that with the range extender, I could go back to not having the 2 bands with different names and that having the thing 6 feet from the extender will allow it to do whatever it does and get on the right band just like everything else does.

Saul?

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2019, 12:18:11 PM »
If the smoker is only 2.4ghz capable it can't see the 5.0ghz band. It's impossible. It would only join 2.4ghz, so any extender should do fine.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2019, 12:45:16 PM »
If the smoker is only 2.4ghz capable it can't see the 5.0ghz band. It's impossible. It would only join 2.4ghz, so any extender should do fine.

T-Y.  I'm thinking that even having to segregate the bands was just some bullshit the smoker guy said to distract from that the range on the thing sucks ball(s).  Once I get it, I'm gonna switch the bands back how I had them and see if it mattered.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2019, 01:26:10 PM »
This smoker is like Star Trek level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2019, 02:07:13 PM »

T-Y.  I'm thinking that even having to segregate the bands was just some bullshit the smoker guy said to distract from that the range on the thing sucks ball(s).  Once I get it, I'm gonna switch the bands back how I had them and see if it mattered.

Traeger states this as a troubleshooting tip.  If it truly only has a 2.4 radio in the grill then it shouldn't matter.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2019, 03:53:21 PM »

Traeger states this as a troubleshooting tip.  If it truly only has a 2.4 radio in the grill then it shouldn't matter.

Do you mean that Traeger says the same thing my guys did and that it's equally bullshit?

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2019, 04:23:52 PM »

Do you mean that Traeger says the same thing my guys did and that it's equally bullshit?

Yeah it's bullshit.