Author Topic: Question for HFBIQ types  (Read 1266 times)

Offline kcchiefdav

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Question for HFBIQ types
« on: October 02, 2011, 12:40:32 PM »
Now that everyone has had a chance to rewatch the game. Does anyone have any theories on what the hell the defense did differently in the 4th quarter, if anything? I mean, did Cosh really make an adjustment that worked or did Baylor just stop executing at an extremely high level?

When I rewatched it, I thought maybe we moved a linebacker of to cover their slot receiver(s) on the weak side, but I don't really know.

Thoughts?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
Y.N.W.A.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
Re: Question for HFBIQ types
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 12:44:50 PM »
doubling wright  :dunno:

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 12:49:24 PM »
Seemed to me Baylor went conservative.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 12:50:01 PM »
From the Cap-Journal story on Wright: With a nine-point lead, the Bears went to a running game to try and eat clock, including a long drive down the field that ended with a missed field goal.

“I felt like we got a little conservative during that long drive,” Wright said. “I feel like we should just play our Baylor offense and put up some points, but it didn’t work out that way, so we’ve got to keep our heads up and stay positive.”

So I don't know how much of it was us changing and how much was Baylor went away from trying to hit deep passes. But I would add, and someone who went to the game made this point last night, that in the fourth quarter our more physical style of play began to take a toil. Our D-line was certainly getting more of a push.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 02:01:55 PM »
They became too predictable. After the 9 point lead they went mainly to their running game to try to run clock and ice the game. Honestly, if they make the FG it may have worked. But they didn't which opened the door.

The 2nd to last drive we just had Brown make a play. They were looking to open it back up a bit, but (like most rhythm offenses) they got our of rhythm when they went to the run game which opened the door for RG3's mistake and Brown's play. They had run those underneath slants much of the game, but this time we made a play.

Then the last drive you are going against a fired up defense, and the 1st down play was huge. Great coverage allowing Brown to make a play and get the sack. Then we just made some plays and won the game, but again, they were out of rhythm, some of that their own doing.

I also think the cumulative effect of getting hits on RG3 when we could paid off. I liked that we didn't take a lot of chances with blitzes and our front 4 did a decent enough job at times getting pressure. But a key was when we had opportunities to get hits on RG3 we did, all throughout the game. I think that had a bit of an effect on him down the stretch in the 4th quarter as well.

Offline kcchiefdav

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 02:45:44 PM »
They became too predictable. After the 9 point lead they went mainly to their running game to try to run clock and ice the game. Honestly, if they make the FG it may have worked. But they didn't which opened the door.

The 2nd to last drive we just had Brown make a play. They were looking to open it back up a bit, but (like most rhythm offenses) they got our of rhythm when they went to the run game which opened the door for RG3's mistake and Brown's play. They had run those underneath slants much of the game, but this time we made a play.

Then the last drive you are going against a fired up defense, and the 1st down play was huge. Great coverage allowing Brown to make a play and get the sack. Then we just made some plays and won the game, but again, they were out of rhythm, some of that their own doing.

I also think the cumulative effect of getting hits on RG3 when we could paid off. I liked that we didn't take a lot of chances with blitzes and our front 4 did a decent enough job at times getting pressure. But a key was when we had opportunities to get hits on RG3 we did, all throughout the game. I think that had a bit of an effect on him down the stretch in the 4th quarter as well.

That was the HFBIQ breakdown i was looking for. Tomorrow, those fuckers at the water-cooler won't know what hit them.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 03:04:59 PM »
We got lucky, take it and run.