Author Topic: On the use of pictures and lawsuits  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
On the use of pictures and lawsuits
« on: February 27, 2010, 08:04:50 AM »
Had a friend of mine that got into a little rats nest like this some years back.  This was back in about 1995 when a lot of internet rules had not yet been hashed out.

He started a tribute site to the band Oasis, using several pictures of the band on the site.  Lots of other people did this kind of thing, too.  The band's recording label got all uppity and threatened lawsuits against the site owners, including my friend.

Where it really got weird was when he posted on his site that he was the leader of some fictional Oasis fansite group.  There really wasn't any such group, or if there was, he was the only member.  He just kind of posted it as a gag.  Some people didn't really see it as a gag.  They thought he was serious.  As a "leader," he started getting calls for interviews from places like KROQ (BIG Los Angeles rock station where several nationally syndicated shows are broadcast out of) and the BBC.  He he was, a 17 year old kid from the middle of Kansas, getting interviewed on international radio.

Long story short, the record label was just puffing smoke and didn't pursue any action.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Re: On the use of pictures and lawsuits
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 09:38:09 AM »
Awesome. 

Offline theKSU

• Katpak'r
  • Team KSU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 01:33:40 PM »
 :cry: "And that little boy was me"  --DS

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 01:49:55 PM »

lolz
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 05:04:27 PM »

Unfortunately, it's the same little boy that went to a Cardinals/Royals game with us.  He was a Cardinals fan.  Royals jumped out early and big - grand slam - HBP and bench clearing brawl.  The little boy spent the better part of the game (after about the 3rd inning) in his car in the parking lot.