Author Topic: Dogs  (Read 192101 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Dogs
« Reply #1625 on: April 10, 2017, 04:09:45 PM »
:thumbs:  She's gonna hate those rough ridin' meatballs by the end of the week.

I gave her a purple dinosaur w/seahawks green feet that I'd been saving for a special occasion.  It's got a crazy loud squeaker.  She digs it.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: April 10, 2017, 04:43:23 PM »
Dogs really could not GAF about pain. My pup got gouged pretty deep by some barbed wire and just walked it off. I took her to the vet and they were pretty meh about it, cleaned it, and we were on our way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: April 10, 2017, 04:45:41 PM »
Makes sense given how I've watched her slam her head up into the metal sign that's attached to the pole she's sniffing and seemingly wreck the crap our of her shins when she's flying up the stairwell to prove how fast and violently she can get to the top, with none of it phasing her.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: April 10, 2017, 08:34:22 PM »
One time my Ike dog cut open his chest about 5 inches on a barbed wire fence.  I stapled him shut myself with no painkillers.  He winced with every staple but laid still.  I actually have done that a few times with him but only once was it that big.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: April 20, 2017, 11:11:24 AM »
The sign at the door says "dogs welcome, people tolerated."

New sign:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: April 20, 2017, 11:16:16 AM »
:thumbs:  She's gonna hate those rough ridin' meatballs by the end of the week.

As expected, it got problematic towards the end of the week.  Even normally, about once a week or so, she doesn't eat out of her bowls.  Don't know if she's attempting a fasting diet or just gets sick of eating there or what, but I knew it would throw a wrinkle into giving her an antibiotic 2x/day on a full stomach.  Last Thursday, she wouldn't eat out of the bowl, so I gave her little scoops of food right on her bed and she ate it all, then ate the antibiotic-filled meatball.  Friday, no eating, and I didn't want to get her in a habit of eating off her bed, but she took the meatballs and I loaded her up w/treats to get her stomach full.  Saturday morning, she was having nothing of anything, no food, no antibiotic.  Took her to a dog party and she was so fired up she forgot and threw down an antibiotic meatball.  Saturday night and Sunday morning, nothing.  Those were to be the last 2.  Tried peanut butter, chicken, etc.  No dice.  Called the ER vet who said to bring her up.  ER vet got her to take the antibiotic in a second in peanut butter and confirmed Payton had either figured me out or I had a poker tell.  Monday morning, no luck, got the bartender to give it to her no problem.  All done.  And she trusts me again w/meatballs that aren't filled w/drugs.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: April 20, 2017, 11:18:54 AM »
Dogs are awesome but also fuckers sometimes.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: April 20, 2017, 11:19:17 AM »
Dude, it's a rough ridin' dog.  Just grab the snout and shove it down there and close mouth and massage throat for swallow reflex. 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: April 20, 2017, 11:21:56 AM »
Dogs are awesome but also fuckers sometimes.

That last ER vet also gave me one of these to try on that Monday, which seemed crazy.  If the dog didn't trust me with delicious meatballs and chicken, how tf was she going to allow me to jam this thing in her mouf.  I was pretty jazzed when it didn't come to that after going to the bar.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: April 20, 2017, 11:23:20 AM »
Dude, it's a rough ridin' dog.  Just grab the snout and shove it down there and close mouth and massage throat for swallow reflex. 

I'd tried that too, but didn't know about throat massaging.  Not sure that would've worked anyway.  She's pretty stubborn.  I'm satisfied going forward having the neighborhood take turns giving her the pills after she's figured me out.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: April 20, 2017, 11:24:13 AM »
The whole story boggles my mind. Had a pit and an Australian shepherd that used to fight it out from time to time.

Neither were ever taken to the vet. Wounds heal.

Admittedly the long hair of the shep saved his ass.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: April 20, 2017, 12:14:33 PM »

Is there a reason you wouldn't apply this same advice to your children?  Just CPS concerns?

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: April 20, 2017, 03:16:10 PM »
@trim, this may have been covered already, but does your dog still crap on the sidewalk?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: April 20, 2017, 03:23:30 PM »
@trim, this may have been covered already, but does your dog still crap on the sidewalk?

Isn't it a baseball thing that you don't talk about a no-hitter in the course of a no-hitter?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: April 20, 2017, 03:23:59 PM »

Isn't it a baseball thing that you don't talk about a no-hitter in the course of a no-hitter?

Or a no-shitter?

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: April 20, 2017, 03:24:13 PM »

:Woot:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: April 20, 2017, 03:27:23 PM »
She does piss out and about much more liberally now, usually in appropriate and discreet locations.  I'd still like for her to crap that way too.  It'll be interesting to see what happens when I move and she doesn't have her 2 favorite courtyard toilets anymore.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: April 20, 2017, 03:35:35 PM »

Is there a reason you wouldn't apply this same advice to your children?  Just CPS concerns?

Haven't been down that road yet.  I could see it working for children too. 

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: April 20, 2017, 03:39:23 PM »
She does piss out and about much more liberally now, usually in appropriate and discreet locations.  I'd still like for her to crap that way too.  It'll be interesting to see what happens when I move and she doesn't have her 2 favorite courtyard toilets anymore.

my dog crap on the patio at a bar near my house last weekend. I immediately thought of you.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: April 20, 2017, 03:57:48 PM »
my dog crap on the patio at a bar near my house last weekend. I immediately thought of you.

:blush:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: April 21, 2017, 09:37:26 AM »
Sometime overnight, she got hold of a little bottle of dog ear cleaner I got last Friday, and chewed the bottle top off.  It looks and smells like most of the contents didn't go in her but all over her and threw her bed and soaked all the way to the floor, as she slept in the discharge.  I'd guess she might've tasted it and quickly thought better of it.

Ingredients: Deionized water, propylene glycol, Aloe Vera gel, SD alcohol 40, lactic acid, glycerin, dioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate, salicylic acid, fragrance, benzoic acid, benzyl alcohol

Thoughts?  Regular vet doesn't open for another hour+.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: April 21, 2017, 10:01:33 AM »
She will be fine. She may get the shits. Even if she does do not freak out and run to the vet. If the loose stool lasts longer than a day then take her to a vet.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: April 21, 2017, 10:11:01 AM »
SD alcohol 40

wet late night snack with mah dogs

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: April 21, 2017, 12:34:39 PM »
She will be fine. She may get the shits. Even if she does do not freak out and run to the vet. If the loose stool lasts longer than a day then take her to a vet.

I forgot to check back here before taking her to the vet.  They agree it's doubtful she drank much, if any, and to just keep an eye on her.  Bought her a new bed.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: April 21, 2017, 02:26:20 PM »
Should sleep in a crate until she's not Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).