Author Topic: Dogs  (Read 192068 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Dogs
« Reply #1150 on: November 11, 2016, 12:30:35 PM »
The collar I need for her weird body doesn't arrive until tomorrow or Sunday, so I've got a temporary Seahawks green colored one getting prime now'd over.

She's crate-trained according to the description and human, but the human doesn't force her to a crate when the human leaves.  So I guess the crate's just there if she wants it to chill in.  I'll be putting her bed in the crate so I guess that'll make it more enticing.

She's still listed for adoption right now, which I guess confirms to me how janky that process has been for the last few months.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: November 11, 2016, 02:19:01 PM »
Is Betty gonna stay Betty?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: November 11, 2016, 02:30:27 PM »

I think so.  The human didn't think she was too attached to it, but I haven't thought of alternatives.  As Jason's been involved through a bunch of this and he's going to Helmet w/me next month, I figured she'd just be named retroactively after the album.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: November 11, 2016, 02:51:03 PM »
Our shepherd almost always sleeps in her crate.  We leave the door open all day and when we can't find her in the evening, she has usually crawled in and is passed out.  Our adopted shelter dog absolutely hates hers though.  We only put her in when necessary.
@mikec2w

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: November 11, 2016, 03:13:55 PM »

I think so.  The human didn't think she was too attached to it, but I haven't thought of alternatives.  As Jason's been involved through a bunch of this and he's going to Helmet w/me next month, I figured she'd just be named retroactively after the album.

:thumbs:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: November 11, 2016, 03:17:51 PM »
fattyfest name auction
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: November 11, 2016, 03:37:12 PM »
fattyfest name auction

If I'm open to alternatives, what do I say in the meantime?  I don't think I'd want her to go nameless for that long, so we'd probably need to have a one-off online auction.  Don't I need a name for her when I get her licensed and to the vet and stuff like that?

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: November 11, 2016, 04:36:17 PM »
fattyfest name auction

If I'm open to alternatives, what do I say in the meantime?  I don't think I'd want her to go nameless for that long, so we'd probably need to have a one-off online auction.  Don't I need a name for her when I get her licensed and to the vet and stuff like that?
License no Vet not mandatory but would be weird when the vet has to enter "The dog" on all her paperwork.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: November 11, 2016, 04:40:55 PM »
one of mine is still "TC" at the vet

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: November 11, 2016, 05:03:51 PM »
She's a lot bigger than what was in my mind's eye from Sunday.  Just had to order the XL crate, and this time I went w/the one that purports to be like a luxury apartment for dogs.

I presume this is all tax-deductible.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: November 12, 2016, 12:44:06 PM »
I'll be surprised if she's into that crate when the right-sized one arrives.  She doesn't seem to like tight spaces. I bought a big pet bed and put in the living room and she's been glued to that most of the time.  She still hasn't pissed or crap since arriving, and has barely ate.  The human said that's what she did for the first day or so at the human's place too.  I'd put her bowls in the kitchen in a spot that would leave the most room for everything else, but I don't think she likes being in there b/c it's narrow.  I tried putting her bed in there to see if the bed fandom would offset the kitchen hate, and she's abandoned the bed to lay on the floor in the living room.  I moved her bowls out there too but she's barely pecking at it.

Do I just put the bowls back in the kitchen where I want her to eat and trust that eventually she'll realize that's how it's got to be?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 04:29:50 PM by Trim »

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: November 12, 2016, 01:34:38 PM »
Yes.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: November 12, 2016, 04:33:24 PM »
No change.  Is she waiting to be back at her normal bathroom and eating spots and it won't be until she realizes that's not happening before she fux w/the new ones?

She truly has no attachment to her name.  I'm leaning towards renaming her Payton, obvs.  But I'll take suggestions.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: November 12, 2016, 04:39:58 PM »
just make her do w/e you want

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: November 12, 2016, 04:44:29 PM »
just make her do w/e you want

That's not how that saying goes.  She's doing whatever she wants, and I supposes the consequence will be starvation or whatever happens when you refuse to go to the bathroom 4 eva.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: November 12, 2016, 05:00:46 PM »
dogs are wolves and wolves are evolved to go days wo eating; it's no big deal if she doesn't eat for a day or two.  she'll eat whenever her hunger reaches a point in her mind where it's more important than her anxiety about being in a new place and/or having to eat in cramped quarters.

she'll crap when she has enough newly digested food in her large intestine that some needs to come out.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: November 12, 2016, 05:02:19 PM »
dogs are wolves and wolves are evolved to go days wo eating; it's no big deal if she doesn't eat for a day or two.  she'll eat whenever her hunger reaches a point in her mind where it's more important than her anxiety about being in a new place and/or having to eat in cramped quarters.

she'll crap when she has enough newly digested food in her large intestine that some needs to come out.

:thumbs:

Do I leave the same bowl of food out for however long that takes or do I need to replace it w/fresh (?) stuff after a bit?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: November 12, 2016, 05:08:09 PM »
you're feeding a dry dog food?  if so, just leave out the same bowlful (or take it away and bring it back out at whatever time you plan on feeding her, if that's what you prefer).

i wouldn't move her bowl from where you want her to eat, but you can handfeed her individual kibbles if she has any interest in food.  like not handfuls, just have her do something she knows how to do (sit, come, whatever) and give her a kibble as if it was a treat.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: November 12, 2016, 05:19:04 PM »
Primarily dry, but I put some wet in w/it at the human's suggestion, and then added some of the pumpkin the human brought.  She's pecked at the wet food but seems disinterested in the dry.  So, I'm gathering I might have to dump the whole thing at some point since it's dry mixed w/wet and pumpkin?

The human didn't have feeding times.  She said she'd put out 2 cups of dry w/some wet mixed in, twice a day, and that Betty/Payton would have eaten it all before the next time she'd put a new cycle out.

I put the bowls back where I'd prefer them.  They're perfectly sized so that I can put them all the way towards the back of the kitchen and the refrigerator door and a cabinet door open above them so I lose no space.  I ordered one of those elevated bowl things thinking maybe that was a problem but I'll wait and exhaust all options w/the ground-level ones before finding a place for that contraption.

I hand-served her some water yesterday, when she wasn't drinking out of the bowl, which got me off-track thinking it was a bowl/location/height issue.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: November 12, 2016, 06:54:14 PM »
name idea (seattle theme)-
sherman

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: November 12, 2016, 07:03:40 PM »
it's very common for a dog to be confused or very timid for a 2-3 days when they move houses/humans.  this will all pass.

if you want her to like the cage, put some food in the cage
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: November 12, 2016, 07:19:03 PM »
From the description it sounds like these bowls might be under the edge of the refrigerator or cabinet? Not sure. But anyway make sure that she can actually reach the food.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: November 12, 2016, 09:11:34 PM »
She can reach it; she's just in that acclimation wtf window.  We just spent a bunch of time at the bar and she drank the crap out of the water from their guest dog bowl that's even lower to the ground than mine. 

Everyone here loves the idea of Payton, plus it'll be easy to get the matching hoops jersey that won't be too cumbersome.  So blow me away w/an idea - a (go)EMAW name that works for a girl would get the highest consideration.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: November 12, 2016, 09:43:04 PM »
filly
epaw
mrs. pooch

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: November 12, 2016, 09:43:36 PM »