« Reply #1125 on: November 10, 2016, 01:57:46 PM »
Dogs will eat whatever you give them
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Dogs
« Reply #1126 on: November 10, 2016, 02:00:35 PM »
I don't even understand the distinction between food and treats.

This should be as routinized as car maintenance.  I want to be told exactly what fuel to put in her, and when to go get oil changes and 30K-mile service, etc.

Go buy this...
http://www.target.com/p/purina-beyond-superfood-blend-salmon-egg-and-pumpkin-recipe-natural-dry-dog-food-14-5-lb-bag/-/A-15172129

And these...
http://www.target.com/p/purina-alpo-t-bonz-porterhouse-flavor-steak-shaped-dog-treats-45-oz-bag/-/A-14919057

And these...
http://www.target.com/p/purina-dentalife-large-daily-oral-care-treat-7-89oz/-/A-50494642

If the dog doesn't seem to like them buy different ones next time.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: November 10, 2016, 02:01:50 PM »

Here is what I buy, available at any target, hyvee, dillons, apple market, wal-mart, or price chopper in the i-70 corridor

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: November 10, 2016, 02:02:11 PM »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: November 10, 2016, 02:08:09 PM »
Only the last of those 4 things is in stock at the target across the street. 

The human's bringing Betty to my place.  I'll have her sit at my computer and put everything I need on my screen.

They should make those steak-shaped treats in #longbone.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: November 10, 2016, 02:19:56 PM »
Purina is the world leader in research of dog nutrition.  Try to max out calories/$ if you're trying to get analytical.  High fat high protein.  DHA is good for pups.  I feed Purina Performance which I think is a 30/22 fat/protein.  You can feed less of that (volume wise) than other food so it ends up being cheaper even though it's more expensive per bag.  But, you really are over thinking it.  It's a dog.  Feed it food.  If it gets fat feed it less. 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: November 10, 2016, 02:29:42 PM »
I've already got an appointment w/the dog mechanic for Monday.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: November 10, 2016, 02:30:56 PM »
Congrats, now you will get a post card one year from now saying to get another appt

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: November 10, 2016, 02:51:39 PM »
i leave a big tub of cheap dog food out for my dogs and they eat whenever they get hungry.  they stay in great shape.

i also give them old human food whenever we have extra that we aren't going to eat. 
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: November 10, 2016, 05:42:49 PM »
I save all my bacon grease and throw a spoonful on top of her kibble most days

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: November 10, 2016, 06:27:19 PM »
how does she feel about peas?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: November 10, 2016, 07:32:02 PM »
are you going to crate that son of a bitch? 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: November 11, 2016, 01:53:04 AM »
Trim, dogs eat their own crap so your choice of dog food at this point isn't really important. sys is also giving you bad advice, my dog has the luxury of having 168 acres that he uses every day yet we still have to keep him on a diet. I don't do all of the work with and for this dog for him to die early of diabetes. He got a good dice roll, that has nothing to do with your dog.

Also crate training your dog is the easiest and most important thing you can do for her and yourself.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: November 11, 2016, 02:09:36 AM »
I bought 2 bags of what I guessed was the correct Fromm stuff. One should be here by the time the human is so I'll know if it's the same stuff and exactly how much to dole out. She's also bringing pumpkin I think that she says is good to mix in when changing foods.

As with everything I'm not an expert on, my point is that I just want to be told by the human that's been feeding this dog for 3 months exactly what she's found works best and I'll blindly keep doing that vs. researching alternatives or g'n af about how much it is. I stick to directions well.

I got a softshell (?) somewhat portable crate that I expect I'll have set up most if the time but I don't know how much I'll insist on using it. I gathered Betty doesn't eff w/things in the house, but I'll have it in case. It was more for trying to use on trains, users, boats, etc. before I'd have to resort to buying that service dog harness.

Exciting day tomorrow! I've even already made my first sacrifice by declining an afternoon Sergio binge sesh so I could get everything cleaned up here and not be hung over.

Sergio's drinking again.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: November 11, 2016, 06:38:56 AM »
Trim, dogs eat their own crap so your choice of dog food at this point isn't really important. sys is also giving you bad advice, my dog has the luxury of having 168 acres that he uses every day yet we still have to keep him on a diet. I don't do all of the work with and for this dog for him to die early of diabetes. He got a good dice roll, that has nothing to do with your dog.

Also crate training your dog is the easiest and most important thing you can do for her and yourself.

Sys' advice wasn't necessarily bad. He told Trim what his own experience was. There are plenty of dogs out there that manage their portion control just fine. There are also plenty of dogs out there who would attempt to eat an entire bag of food in one sitting, if they have the opportunity. Some breeds are more prone to be gluttons than others.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 06:43:33 AM by pmshead »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: November 11, 2016, 08:07:26 AM »

Sys' advice wasn't necessarily bad. He told Trim what his own experience was. There are plenty of dogs out there that manage their portion control just fine. There are also plenty of dogs out there who would attempt to eat an entire bag of food in one sitting, if they have the opportunity. Some breeds are more prone to be gluttons than others.

the issue is that the majority of dogs out there are dumber than the food that they're eating
are they great companions? sure, that doesn't make them the brightest bulbs in the socket

dog's mind's eye:  is that food?  hmm, i'm not sure.  i will eat it just in case and i will keep eating it in case it goes away or in case i'm never fed again.  wow this tastes more like a rubber hose than food but i'll eat it anyway b/c it kinda tastes good

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: November 11, 2016, 08:10:29 AM »
I bought 2 bags of what I guessed was the correct Fromm stuff. One should be here by the time the human is so I'll know if it's the same stuff and exactly how much to dole out. She's also bringing pumpkin I think that she says is good to mix in when changing foods.

As with everything I'm not an expert on, my point is that I just want to be told by the human that's been feeding this dog for 3 months exactly what she's found works best and I'll blindly keep doing that vs. researching alternatives or g'n af about how much it is. I stick to directions well.

I got a softshell (?) somewhat portable crate that I expect I'll have set up most if the time but I don't know how much I'll insist on using it. I gathered Betty doesn't eff w/things in the house, but I'll have it in case. It was more for trying to use on trains, users, boats, etc. before I'd have to resort to buying that service dog harness.

Exciting day tomorrow! I've even already made my first sacrifice by declining an afternoon Sergio binge sesh so I could get everything cleaned up here and not be hung over.

Sergio's drinking again.

the reasoning behind crating a dog extends beyond protecting your stuff.  it gives them a sense of security, it's their doom cave in their mind's eye

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: November 11, 2016, 09:16:51 AM »

the issue is that the majority of dogs out there are dumber than the food that they're eating
are they great companions? sure, that doesn't make them the brightest bulbs in the socket

dog's mind's eye:  is that food?  hmm, i'm not sure.  i will eat it just in case and i will keep eating it in case it goes away or in case i'm never fed again.  wow this tastes more like a rubber hose than food but i'll eat it anyway b/c it kinda tastes good

Our dog had one of those self feeder things that just keep doling out the food as they eat it (no portion control whatsoever) and she never over ate. So I agree with pmshead that it depends on the dog.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: November 11, 2016, 10:50:39 AM »
PSA: Lots of people who think their dogs never overeat have obese dogs.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: November 11, 2016, 10:51:19 AM »
Not saying that's true it's the above. But probably a majority.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: November 11, 2016, 11:26:41 AM »

Sergio's drinking again.

the reasoning behind crating a dog extends beyond protecting your stuff.  it gives them a sense of security, it's their doom cave in their mind's eye

Exactly right.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: November 11, 2016, 11:37:31 AM »
PSA: Lots of people who think their dogs never overeat have obese dogs.

FYI: My dog was pretty skinny and small for her breed.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: November 11, 2016, 11:44:40 AM »
Do I need a scale?

I'll have a crate.  Probably this one.  Do I need to force her to use it or accept whatever she naturally wants to do?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: November 11, 2016, 12:16:03 PM »
she probs needs a real crate but whateves.  she will not want to use it unless she's been crate trained.  otherwise she will hate your unholy guts until she gets used to it and then all of the sudden it will be the coolest thing in the world to her, like her first apartment or whatever